CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Jason's Workout Log (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=48280)

Jason A Smith 10-05-2011 08:54 AM

Re: Jason's Workout Log

Thanks guys for looking, it's nice to know that I am not all alone. Feels that way most days. Volume wise I am actually finding it not too bad. There are some double days and Part 1/Part 2 type stuff. It's not lots, I know the "will" program is not something I could/would want to do long term, which is why I am doing "being". I may ramp up to "will" as sectionals approaches. I know that I will continue on with this until the open sectionals are over, which is only another 4/5 months or so. I think I can adjust accordingly. After that (if I make it through to Regionals) I will continue on with it until I am done at Regionals. I have no delusions of making it to the Games. Once that is finished it'll be either back to MP to maintain some GPP or CFFB to get big and strong. I think I would still enter the odd event but I may take a stab at Oly lifting or maybe a powerlifting comp along the way. See what happens I guess.

Also of note from yesterday's training. I rowed a 1:41 500m which is a PR, wil be looking to get it down to 1:30, and I worked some MU's and was able to do them strict ! Very excited and did a set of three as well. 1 strict, one with a little kip and one with a bigger kip. May do some more work on them this week and see if I can get a set of 5.

Nik Nichols 10-05-2011 09:47 AM

Sounds good. On the MUs I will remind you to always do the ''wrist flick'' or full turnout. if you aren't start now, it is the standard. So might as well get use to it and make that the norm.

Robert Foley 10-06-2011 06:17 PM

Nice job on the C&J! Gotta second Milt's comment. I've sustained a few uppercuts myself. lol. Congrats on the rowing PR too!

Jason A Smith 10-06-2011 10:07 PM

Thanks guys, PR's are fun !

Nik on the MU's I go to a dead hang stop and turn out. I should video some of them again just to see.

Rested yesterday, needed it too. Still sore in the right calf area.

Tonight:

4 sets @ game pace:
5 tough thrusters
10 wall balls
25 double unders AFAP
rest walk as long as needed to get 100% out of next set
:56 @ 135
:53 @ 140
:55 @ 145
:55 @ 155

Really happy with the last set, should have started there but I didn't think I had gotten that proficient/strong with them yet. Kind of a nice surprise. Looks like we are getting ready to do the OPTathlon on Sunday. It'll look like this

OPTathlon
1. clean and overhead (1RM in time frame)
2. standing triple jump (3 attempts in time frame)
3. row repeats (totalling 1K)
4. unknown circuit (double unders with Rx ropes are a part of it)
5. reverse overhead shot toss (16#/8# shot - 3 attempts in time frame)
6. track run (3000 m)

Pretty sure I'll do everything except the last one. See how my calf holds up. Looks like another beautiful and sort of busy weekend coming up too. Got some stuff to do around the house. Wee even have our landscaping getting done !

Milton Brisson 10-06-2011 11:54 PM

[QUOTE=Jason A Smith;993094]...
Tonight:

4 sets @ game pace:
5 tough thrusters
10 wall balls
25 double unders AFAP
rest walk as long as needed to get 100% out of next set
:56 @ 135
:53 @ 140
:55 @ 145
:55 @ 155

Really happy with the last set...[/QUOTE]

Those are some pretty impressive round times Jason!:highfive: I would be happy with that as well! If I keep seeing these kinds of reults I may have to make the switch to the OPT stuff!

Nik Nichols 10-07-2011 06:54 AM

Have to agree with Milt. Strong work. The OPT a thon looks really fun too.

Jason A Smith 10-08-2011 10:10 PM

Yep, diggin OPT. I really am liking it. Seeing progress too, which is nice although I think you see progress no matter what program as long as you stick to it and it suits your goals. Enough of that. Rested yesterday and spent a good part of my day sealing up my garage gym from all of the -30C winds I will be soon "excited" to see. I do not like winter at all, I always wonder why I don't live somewhere warmer, but I digress. Was late by the time I was ready to go so I didn't really warm up at all which is good every now and again.

A. Power Clean x 1/Overhead x 1; rest 3 min x 3 - 90% - all at 195
B. Row Sprints: 20 sec @ max effort; rest 2:40 x 4 - 111,112,111,112
C. 5 burpees AFAP - jump 1 foot above max reach at top; rest 30 sec x 5 - done total time 2:50 around 10s for burpees
D. AMRAP DU's in 20 sec; rest 40 sec x 3 - 40,37,40 (tripped second set)

After that I thought I would try tabata DU's for fun:

40,37,36,36,35,35,35,35 - score 35, couldn't beat Spealler but I tried. I wonder how big a difference the rope makes. Never used a wire one either.

OPTathlon tomorrow

Event 1:
Clean and Overhead in 10 min
- pick up weight, rack it on shoulders, then overhead anyhow
- as many attempts as needed in the 10 min
- once racked, as many attempts as needed to get overhead will be allowed - i.e. power clean x 1, split jerk x 3 attempts is allowed
- athlete MUST show control overhead at judges discretion per rep
Scoring: Sinclair Formula - weight adjustment in pounds

Event 2:
Standing Triple Jump
- The first phase is a hop from a stand still, which requires the athlete to take-off from a two-footed stand, split in mid air, and land on the preferred foot. The next phase is a long stretched step, landing on the opposite foot. The last phase is the jump, where the athlete lands on both feet: Allowed 3 attempts
- MUST stick 2-foot landing in order for it to count - i.e. both feet planted, meausre it taken from back of heel of foot furthest back
- feet sliding upon final land is considered a failed attempt
- falling forward is fine as long as feet remain in place for measure - i.e. tipping forward once landed
- falling backward will result in a measure taken from the point of your body furthest back towards take off area
- falling to the side is the same result as long as feet are solidly placed on ground for measure - i.e. no sand pit landing
Scoring: Furthest distance in feet + inches achieved in best of the 3 attempts

Event 3:
Row Repeats
- 500 m row, rest 90 sec, 500 m row
- athlete MUST remain on rower for 90 sec rest period with oar/handle placed in rack and feet strapped in foot buckles
Scoring Concept 2 weight adjustment formula - total time for 1K

Event 4:
Total Reps in 7 minutes:
- 150 double unders "buy in", then, as many rounds in time remaining of 7 wall balls - 20/14# to 10 ft and 5 burpees - jump to touch 1 foot above max reach on wall after chest hits deck on every burpee
- hip crease below knee cap in wall balls
- athlete must squat on 1st rep of every wall ball before throw
- each athlete uses rope assigned to them - all ropes are heavy weight Rx ropes
Scoring: Total reps accumulated in 7 min

Event 5:
Overhead Shot Put Toss
- reverse overhead shot put toss - 16# men, 8# women
- stand backwards on line, 3 attempts to reverse throw toss overhead for distance in feet + inches
- feet cannot be moved/shuffled until ball is released and athlete cannot fall backwards over line; this is considered a failed attempt
Scoring: Furthest distance in feet + inches achieved in best of the 3 attempts

Event 6:
3000 m run
- runners start the race from a standing position along a curved starting line
Scoring: Total time for 7.5 laps of 400 m track

Oddly I don't have a shot put (!?) so I'll have to sub for that one. See how I feel towards the end of the day as well and whether running a 3K will be a good idea or not. The rest looks like fun and there is scoring too ! Any takers ? Should be good times.

Milton Brisson 10-08-2011 10:31 PM

Looks like a full day there! Have fun with it!

Jason A Smith 10-10-2011 01:12 PM

Turns out more like a half full day. Woke up to a rainy day which will preclude any outdoor festivities as far as I am concerned, so I stayed inside. Was going to do this yesterday but I woke up in the middle of the night with a headache and a sore left hip flexor, called it and held off to today.

Did Event 1,3,4 from above

Event 1: 215 (PR), failed 200 jerk three times (these still need work but are improving)
Rested about 5 min
Event 3: 1:36/1:44 - Total of 3:20 for 1000m, this was a suckfest on round 2. I'll admit I stopped for two breaths there somewhere. PR at 1:36 and it felt really good. There is a 1:30 in there !
Rested 15 min
Event 4: 150 + 5 rounds + 7 WB, the burpees slowed me down. Likely didn't rest long enough in between.

All in all a fun test. The other stuff would have been fun (minus the running). Happy with the PR's and good to see more progress. Need to keep it up. Looking forward to the next phase over at OPT.

Robert Foley 10-11-2011 05:11 PM

Nice volume and great results, Jason. Congrats on the new PRs! Is the "OPTathon" some sort of on-line competition?