CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Starting Strength (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=88728)

Juan M Jones 07-23-2015 02:12 PM

Starting Strength

Anybody is mixing Starting Strength (Mark Rippetoe’s program) with main site programming?
I know that Mark put very clear that if your doing more work, you're not doing his program, and I understand it. Specially recovery is very, very important to gain strength. But I want to know about mixing the 2, actual examples and results.
My own experiment: I was doing Starting Strength for 2/3 months, nothing more, no WODs. I wrote down the numbers (squat, Deadlift, etc) now Im starting main site programming and watch these numbers, if they go down, up, etc.
I'm not claiming that this is a good program, in any way, is an experiment.
Last 2 months Ive done Gym Jones programming, trying different approach and experimenting with my own body the results.

Ryan Hoegner 07-23-2015 02:13 PM

Re: Starting Strength

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juan M Jones (Post 1255129)
Last 2 months Ive done Gym Jones programming, trying different approach and experimenting with my own body the results.

You really can't call 2 month blocks an experiment.

Juan M Jones 07-23-2015 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Hoegner (Post 1255131)
You really can't call 2 month blocks an experiment.

Actually I think I can. 2 months of strict training can tell you a lot. For example, I did my lifetime PR in Dead Lift and Back Squat after 2 months of Starting Strength solely. Obviously SS is a solid program, and the recovery of not doing CF in moths helped the max strength.
What I can tell about Gym Jones (and its not the point of this thread really) is that the "program" is much more open and specialized. Its not the same if you want to gain mass or run a Marathon. And all this obvious stuff I learned in doing different programs.
Anyway, this thread is about mixing Starting Strength and Main Site Crossfit programming.

Anthony Giurato 07-24-2015 01:09 PM

Starting Strength (SS) gets exhausting. Those 3x5 sets across really wear you out. Plus it calls for 3 major lifts each session with a squat, press, and pull. That is 9 big lifts a week. I'd say at the most do a very short metcon after a SS session and still take the following day completely off.

You are probably better off with a program that aims for slower gains but isn't as taxing. 5/3/1 works better with metcons than SS. For one you typically only do 4 big lifts a week. In addition, the sets are increasing so that you do something like 65%, 75% 85% instead of 3x85%. The trade off is you make gains more slowly. But it is much more manageable, and probably healthier when combined with conditioning.

In all honestly, just listen to your body and don't hurt yourself. If you want to try SS and metcons together, go ahead. Just recognize when you are better off taking a light workout day or full day(s) off. And watch your numbers so that you can decide when it's time to change your plans entirely.

Shawn M Wilson 07-24-2015 03:45 PM

Having ran SS before for 6 months straight it is an easy to "follow" program but not always an easy to "do" program. I was younger and recovered quicker but knowing what I know now I wouldn't start it for the majority of the people I would train or help.

Yes gains come. Yes it is often considered for younger people due to recovery.

Adding WODs to it for most people won't be possible. Especially if you are following it right and the load is right.

Lots of other options out there to do WODs with and still make gains (5/3/1, west side, GSLP, etc)

Juan M Jones 07-24-2015 08:22 PM

Totally, SS its "easy" because is very straightforward, but in no way a "light" program. I did 3/4 cycles of it, nothing more as prescribed, no crossfit, good recovering, and it was hard to complete the 5 reps.
I was curious of the results of people doing it along crossfit. But yeah, is an insane work load.
Im not interested just in pure strength, and I like how Gym Jones program (for example) mix strength wit metcons.
Its a little controversial topic, because after all, crossfit is a program.

Robert Fabsik 07-26-2015 10:29 AM

CrossFit Football's amateur routines sort of blend what your are suggesting. But to accommodate metcons they cut back on the strength work. But there template follows a 3x5 fashion.

Juan M Jones 07-28-2015 11:57 AM

Thanks for the info.
Ive decided to follow CFSB, maybe a couple of cycles and watch the numbers. I need metabolic conditioning after months of no crossfit or endurance. I still need improvement in my lifts, but solely SS left me feeling very slow in metcons.
CFSB seems a good solution for my current state.