CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Can't Lose Belly Fat (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=66362)

Brett Cassel 04-09-2011 01:12 PM

Can't Lose Belly Fat

All -

I've been doing Crossfit now for quite a few years and I've been unable to get my body to look totally lean. I'm 29 years old, 6'0", 170 pounds. I workout 3-5 times per week, depending on my work schedule, but most of the times it's five times.

A typical day for me diet-wise would be oatmeal and a protein shake after my morning workout; either a turkey sandwich with cashews and an apple, or tuna with cashews and an apple for lunch; and, some type of meat and vegetable for dinner.

I usually drink on the weekends, but I've been trying to cut back the amount, but haven't noticed a real difference with how this has affected me.

I have pretty well defined upper abdominals, but I still carry a bit of a spare tire and my pecs aren't as tight as would like them.

Does anyone have any advice? Am I eating wrong? Do I need to eat more? I feel like there are a lot of other Crossfitters out there that look better than I do, and I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks.

Joe Bernard 04-09-2011 01:24 PM

Re: Can't Lose Belly Fat

It's hard to say if you are eating enough since you don't give amounts, but unless dinner is big then it looks like it's not enough; your food quality could be better. Ditch the oatmeal and protein powder, and have some real food in the morning: eggs, bacon, fruit, leftover meat from dinner last night, etc. At lunch, get rid of the bread and have more vegetables and fat instead of it. Also, how many drinks do you have on the weekend? Drinking a fair amount can definitely stop fat loss. Do you have cheat meals too?

Jonathan Vechet 04-09-2011 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brett Cassel (Post 924336)
All -

I've been doing Crossfit now for quite a few years and I've been unable to get my body to look totally lean. I'm 29 years old, 6'0", 170 pounds. I workout 3-5 times per week, depending on my work schedule, but most of the times it's five times.

A typical day for me diet-wise would be oatmeal and a protein shake after my morning workout; either a turkey sandwich with cashews and an apple, or tuna with cashews and an apple for lunch; and, some type of meat and vegetable for dinner.

I usually drink on the weekends, but I've been trying to cut back the amount, but haven't noticed a real difference with how this has affected me.

I have pretty well defined upper abdominals, but I still carry a bit of a spare tire and my pecs aren't as tight as would like them.

Does anyone have any advice? Am I eating wrong? Do I need to eat more? I feel like there are a lot of other Crossfitters out there that look better than I do, and I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks.

You're not eating enough. Eat more fat. And while you're at it, eat more of everything else. If you see food, destroy it with your facehole.

You're an inch taller and over 20lbs lighter than me, and I was recently called skinny.

Being lean is not always synonymous with looking better; even though looking better is always subjective.

Spencer James 04-09-2011 02:03 PM

CrossFit 5 times per week...depending on what exactly you're doing in each session, this could be inducing a relatively high cortisol load which will thwart your fat loss efforts. Have you checked out leangains.com (WFS, I guess)? Martin Berkhan has a lot of success stories of guys who basically dial their workouts down to 2-3 times per week, mostly just strength, and start incorporating intermittent fasting into their lifestyle. I've heard RW mention a few people on his podcast who similarly reduce their workout volume and end up leaning out pretty quickly.

But, it's not for everyone and it also depends on your goals. If your goal is to be a great CrossFitter and you need to do CrossFit WODs 5x per week to achieve this, then I'd probably agree with the other responses and say that eating more high quality food (wild salmon, grass fed beef) would be a good experiment to see if it pushes you in the right direction.

Chris Caruso 04-09-2011 05:26 PM

How's your sleep?

Ben Rollin 04-09-2011 05:42 PM

Cut out the drinking for a period of time and see if that changes anything. Also make sure your drinking plenty of water.

Eric Montgomery 04-09-2011 10:53 PM

Add some muscle mass. When I was 175lbs at 6' I was silly skinny. You sound like you're skinny-fat if you don't have visible abs and minimal visible fat pretty much everywhere.

Oatmeal, turkey sandwiches, and alcohol probably aren't helping either. More protein, more good fats, more heavy lifting.

Scott A Martin 04-09-2011 11:21 PM

The one thing I can tell you for sure is that all else equal eating more is NOT going to help you reach your goal. This little bit of crossfit contrarian wisdom is really one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

As someone who has also struggled on the cusp of real leanness, I can tell you that for me the problem was always cheating and inconsistency. A healthy and sustainable caloric deficit for someone relatively lean to begin with is a few hundred calories per day. It's really easy to wipe that deficit out in one night of drinking and pizza or a big lunch or two during the work week.

Katherine Derbyshire 04-09-2011 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott A Martin (Post 924437)
The one thing I can tell you for sure is that all else equal eating more is NOT going to help you reach your goal. This little bit of crossfit contrarian wisdom is really one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

*If* you agree that losing weight is the way to get rid of a soft belly, then you're correct. No one ever lost weight without a calorie deficit.

*However* someone with a soft middle -- especially someone as scrawny as the OP -- is often better off trying to build muscle and letting their body recompose itself accordingly. That process is often helped by eating more: the OP's diet as posted looks pitifully inadequate for athletic performance.

Katherine

Brett Cassel 04-10-2011 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Bernard (Post 924339)
It's hard to say if you are eating enough since you don't give amounts, but unless dinner is big then it looks like it's not enough; your food quality could be better. Ditch the oatmeal and protein powder, and have some real food in the morning: eggs, bacon, fruit, leftover meat from dinner last night, etc. At lunch, get rid of the bread and have more vegetables and fat instead of it. Also, how many drinks do you have on the weekend? Drinking a fair amount can definitely stop fat loss. Do you have cheat meals too?

It wouldn't be out of the ordinary for me to consume 15 craft beers in a given weekend.