CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   more Louie Simmons: Olympic lifts not good for sports (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=29731)

John Seiler 03-31-2008 11:09 AM

more Louie Simmons: Olympic lifts not good for sports

Another topic from the previously posted video (wfs: http://macthrowvideo2.com/2006NTCALS.wmv )

"In my opinion, Olymic lifts [full, not hang] are not good for sports. Why? Because you have a controlled first pull... The first pull is controlled so you don't distort the second pull... But show me a sport where you have a slow first step; I'll show you a kid sitting on the sidelines."

Thoughts? Comments?

Nick Cummings 03-31-2008 11:22 AM

Re: more Louie Simmons: Olympic lifts not good for sports

Louie Simmons agrees that stronger is better. He just personally thinks that what speed deadlifts and hang cleans/hang snatches are better than full olympic lifts? Both "sides" are still saying do olympic lifts. I really doubt many have looked back at their athletic career and said wow I wish I spent less time on the olympic lifts. =)

Scott Mahn 03-31-2008 11:25 AM

I see his point, but I can think of instances in sport where you engage an opponent, hold tension, and then explode, like wrestling, or a lineman of football.

Jake Oleander 03-31-2008 11:30 AM

even with a controlled first pull, the second pull, third pull, and front squat are way more explosive than just squatting...

John Seiler 03-31-2008 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Cummings (Post 283109)
I really doubt many have looked back at their athletic career and said wow I wish I spent less time on the olympic lifts. =)

LOL! Amen brother.

John Seiler 03-31-2008 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Oleander (Post 283114)
even with a controlled first pull, the second pull, third pull, and front squat are way more explosive than just squatting...

Just to clarify, Louie is down with the hanging variations. Also, the purpose of their exclusive use of box squatting is for an explosive movement off the box. WestSide also does a lot of jumping; weighted and unweighted.

Great point, Scott.

Tim Luby 03-31-2008 11:38 AM

He's right--full olympic lifts are not practical for sports training. Power versions definitely are. Most athletes are only going to benefit from the 2nd pull in a clean. The 1st pull and the squat portions of oly lifts are necessary only in oly lifting, due to ME lifts and regulations and therefore only need to be used in oly lifting.

Gavin Harrison 03-31-2008 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Oleander (Post 283114)

Louie advocates box squatting with bands/chains/etc. Not exactly "just" squatting at that point.

Stephen Flamm 03-31-2008 11:46 AM

How about pitching in baseball? Slow, controlled, balanced, then... explode... Same applies to a tennis serve. Maybe Louie doesn't consider baseball and tennis to be sports.

Tim Luby 03-31-2008 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Flamm (Post 283132)
How about pitching in baseball? Slow, controlled, balanced, then... explode... Same applies to a tennis serve. Maybe Louie doesn't consider baseball and tennis to be sports.

Yeah, but does the 1st pull help achieve a more powerful pitching wind-up? No. The wind-up portion of any sports movement is completely mechanical, not a matter of power, and therefore cannot be improved by oly lifts (unless it is an oly lift)
Again, you're missing his point. All of the benefit of increased power/explosiveness is gained from the 2nd pull.