CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   so let me get this straight...the zone (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=26139)

Sakura Barrientos 01-14-2008 07:35 PM

so let me get this straight...the zone

ok, so i just read mastering the zone as recommended by sheri from CF NSC. now i'm taking what i learned and am trying to make a plan to apply it.

per dr. sears' online calculator i am currenlty:

BF 36.22%
BF WT 56.14
LB Mass 98.86
Protein needed 77g
Blocks 11

so, that means three 3 block meals and two 1 block meals to equal 11 blocks. now with that, it means at each meal i need 3 blocks protein, 3 blocks carbs and 3 blocks fat, correct? and then 1 block of each for a 1 block snack.

if that is correct, for a 3 block meal i would be eating something like:

3oz chicken breast (where 1oz is 1 block) PROTEIN
1/2c blueberries, 1/2c grapes, 1/4c chickpeas CARBS
9 cashews FAT

and a 1 block snack would be:

2 egg whites PROTEIN
1/2 apple CARBS
3 almonds FAT

i just wanted to make sure...:thanx:

Carlos Cristan 01-14-2008 07:53 PM

Re: so let me get this straight...the zone

Sakura,
Hi, I just started Zoning too. Tommorrow will be my 5th day. I read Enter the Zone instead of Master the Zone. It looks like your meal plan is straight. I ate the same thing for three days until I got the hang of it and then started subbing F, P, and C's out to change things up a bit. I've ordered Master the Zone but it hasn't come in yet. I hope to be done with Enter The Zone by the time it does. Good Luck with zoning!!

Sakura Barrientos 01-14-2008 08:03 PM

awesome. thanks, man. i take it you're army? i'm an air force *ahem* reservist. hahaha. trust me, i would have gone active duty but there's a long story behind that. and why air force? my mom was air force. otherwise i would have been an army nurse. another long story.

anywho...sounds like a good idea for starting out with similar dishes. i printed out the 1 block foods from dr sears' site for reference as he only put down the favorable foods (mastering the zone shows all foods both favorable and unfavorable).

crossing my fingers that i get this right. hahaha. sleep deprivation due to a 5mo old kind of makes the mind foggy--maybe the zone will help.

Carlos Cristan 01-14-2008 08:11 PM

I'd guess that it's going to help you out with more than your sleep. I feel great and Im too cherry to know if it's mental or effects of the zone or both. But I just did Cindy the other day and almost double my PR which used to be 7 rounds in 20 minutes and now its 13 +. Also you don't owe me any explanation as to the conditions of your service. Thank you for serving, the fact that you do is enough for me and should be for anyone. Don't ever apologize for that, but yes Im active army.

Tirzah Harper 01-14-2008 08:27 PM

Sakura, did you get the CFJ #21? I keep a copy sitting by my kitchen counter at all times. Handy one-stop reference, scaled for block sizes, for meals & snacks. Mix & match. :)
Sounds like you've got the hang of it!

Sakura Barrientos 01-14-2008 10:09 PM

tirzah, unfortunately i don't subscribe. :( i need to though. i will have to talk to my husband about it tomorrow.

Derek Weaver 01-14-2008 10:22 PM

Sakura, I'm pretty sure that particular article is free. Some of the articles/issues are available for free in pdf. Check it out.

Sakura Barrientos 01-14-2008 10:34 PM

ok, you officially rock, derek weaver! hahaha. thanks...i'm searching for it right now... :)

Laurent Frat 01-15-2008 03:25 AM

Good luck with you diet.

This block chart is helpful http://www.mitymous.net/weights/zoneblox.htm

I always tell friends and clients just getting started on the zone to invest in some Tupperware and a cooler. Preparation is key to staying on track.