CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout of the Day (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Sequence of the WOD (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=24078)

Francisco Galarce Morales 11-23-2007 03:27 PM

Sequence of the WOD

with wods like angie or filthy fifty is it possible to do the exercises in a different sequence...

for example angie

100 pull ups
100 push ups
100 sit ups
100 air squats

could I do the pull ups last.. (because it's my weak spot)..

or with the filthy fifty.. could I do the boxjumps as last (for my busted knee)..

thx for reading :D

James Forshaw 11-23-2007 05:23 PM

Re: Sequence of the WOD

My two cents - yes, you can as when it comes down to it, you have your finishing time at the end and you've done the same work therefore you have your set power output. Whatever gets you there fastest is the way to go.
Having said that, changing around some workouts can alter the benefits somewhat. For example, you may decide to partition the workout into 10 sets of 10 of each exercise. Clearly just going for 100 pull-ups in as few sets as possible would improve the max amount you could perform in one go rather than partitioning them.
Both ways have their merits, but think Power = Work / Time and you can't really go wrong.

Francisco Galarce Morales 11-23-2007 09:42 PM

ok.. thanks for the answer :D...

S.S. 11-23-2007 10:06 PM

[QUOTE=James Forshaw;218929]My two cents - yes, you can as when it comes down to it, you have your finishing time at the end and you've done the same work therefore you have your set power output. Whatever gets you there fastest is the way to go.
Having said that, changing around some workouts can alter the benefits somewhat. For example, you may decide to partition the workout into 10 sets of 10 of each exercise. Clearly just going for 100 pull-ups in as few sets as possible would improve the max amount you could perform in one go rather than partitioning them.
Both ways have their merits, but think Power = Work / Time and you can't really go wrong.[/QUOTE]

This may make sense for workouts like the Murph, but the Angie is supposed to be done in the order that it's written.

Lynne Pitts 11-24-2007 06:21 AM

You *can* partition workouts like Angie, but then it isn't Angie. See the FAQ- the WOD prescriptions are extremely literal. If it says do 100, do 100, do 100, that's what it means. If it says "do rounds of 20" that's what it means.

Similarly, changing the order of some WODs, like the Filthy 50, will likely impact the outcome. The fact that the stinkin' burpies are last, when you're exhausted, isn't accidental.

It would be interesting to do the WOD as rx'd, and then out of order, and compare times. I've often thought the Filthy 50 would be faster with the burpees earlier, but I've never wanted to do it twice just to find out!

If you can't do the WOD as rx'd, of course you can modify or scale as needed. Just be aware that your time or performance can't be compared to the standard, as rx'd results. You can, and should, of course be comparing yourself to yourself first.

David Sailor 11-24-2007 06:52 AM

I think the Filthy Fifty's done in reverse order would be interesting because now it's arguably going from hardest to easiest. On the other hand, 50 box jumps at 24" at the tail end is likely to leave some shin skin behind.

Francisco Galarce Morales 11-24-2007 09:33 AM

[QUOTE=Lynne Pitts;219033]I've often thought the Filthy 50 would be faster with the burpees earlier, but I've never wanted to do it twice just to find out!
[/quote]
and I don't blame you :D

[QUOTE=Lynne Pitts;219033]You *can* partition workouts like Angie, but then it isn't Angie. See the FAQ- the WOD prescriptions are extremely literal. If it says do 100, do 100, do 100, that's what it means. If it says "do rounds of 20" that's what it means.[/quote]
I don't mean partition workouts... I try to go as long as I can go... rest and go again untill I hit the 100...

[QUOTE=Lynne Pitts;219033]If you can't do the WOD as rx'd, of course you can modify or scale as needed. Just be aware that your time or performance can't be compared to the standard, as rx'd results. You can, and should, of course be comparing yourself to yourself first.[/QUOTE]
The problem is more that I can't do a 100 pull ups... the situps, push ups and squats I can do but the 100 pull ups are killing me...

thx for the replies :notworth: