CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What is your #1 strength training question? (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=77318)

Chris Mason 08-21-2012 01:36 PM

What is your #1 strength training question?
 
Ask here and I will do my best to address it.

Matt Hemphill 08-21-2012 01:50 PM

Re: What is your #1 strength training question?
 
Thanks for doing this Chris,

I do not have a setup yet to use bands or chains, so on DE days what percentages should I be using instead of say the 45, 50 and 55%?

A follow up if I may, I realize that this might not be as effective as using bands/chains, but is it worthwhile to do DE without bands/chains or is it a waiste of my time? I intend to alleviate my equipment problem soon.

Michael Ferrell 08-21-2012 01:50 PM

Re: What is your #1 strength training question?
 
I have always been interested in my leg strength. I have a buddy who use to never EVER do legs and all he focused on was his upper body. Let me say he looked ridiculous too. Anyways I have always read that the more you work your legs the more testosterone it releases into your body which overall in my mind will make you whole body stronger, is this true? Before I broke my back I was squatting at about 10 reps anywhere from 315-335 and I am only 5'8 155lbs. I would like to get back to this point because I always felt like the harder I worked my lower body the better base I would have for a stronger upper body. Hope this makes sense lol.

Ross Barrett 08-21-2012 01:58 PM

Re: What is your #1 strength training question?
 
Hi Chris, i have a couple of quick questions.

1. Im following the cffb programming which is great but do you think some assistance work on arms would help with pull-ups and presses etc?

2. with following only cffb what should my calorific intake be roughly to make constant gains with getting fat? male, 25, 80kg, 5ft 11".

3. my max weights- deadlift = 140kg, back squat = 92.5kg, bench = 105kg, press = 60kg.

4. when following the programme i struggle with the olympic lifts that include squatting due to poor flexibility. shall i drop doing these with any weight what so ever and stretch/ perform form training rather than the lift? do something else to condition/ strength train on that day?

Tim Donahey 08-21-2012 03:23 PM

Sort of a strength question.
 
How many strict (ring) pull-ups and strict (ring) dips should one be able to perform before attempting a successful ring muscle-up?

Blair Robert Lowe 08-21-2012 03:42 PM

Re: What is your #1 strength training question?
 
Tim, no offense toward Chris, but he is a Powerlifter not a Gymnastics Coach.

MU is mainly transition. I remember the old 15 of each but I have seen young gymnasts do them when they didn't have those numbers. Especially in ring dips. Many young gymnasts become pullup machines but dips and ring dips progress slowly with them. I've been able to do them when I was fresh around 7 or 8 pullups/dips (not even ring dips mind you just on PB). 10-10 is probably all that is necessary. 10 legit hollow pullups.

I'd still like to hear your input on it though, Chris.

Chris Mason 08-21-2012 04:32 PM

Re: What is your #1 strength training question?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Hemphill (Post 1087938)
Thanks for doing this Chris,

I do not have a setup yet to use bands or chains, so on DE days what percentages should I be using instead of say the 45, 50 and 55%?

A follow up if I may, I realize that this might not be as effective as using bands/chains, but is it worthwhile to do DE without bands/chains or is it a waiste of my time? I intend to alleviate my equipment problem soon.


I don't feel that accomodating resistance (the bands and chains) is absolutely necessary for speed work. It is recommended, but I would not forego it simply because you don't have bands or chains.

Well, for box squats the percentages are normally 50-55-60%. I would start with that and time your speed. You could then experiment by moving up a bit. The key is being able to maintain the speed. If you slow down then the load is too heavy.

Tim Donahey 08-21-2012 04:39 PM

Re: What is your #1 strength training question?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe (Post 1087977)
Tim, no offense toward Chris, but he is a Powerlifter not a Gymnastics Coach. ...
I'd still like to hear your input on it though, Chris.

Thanks Blair, appreciate the helpful response. Didn't mean to hijack though, sorry. :icon_spee

Chris Mason 08-21-2012 04:40 PM

Re: What is your #1 strength training question?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Ferrell (Post 1087939)
I have always been interested in my leg strength. I have a buddy who use to never EVER do legs and all he focused on was his upper body. Let me say he looked ridiculous too. Anyways I have always read that the more you work your legs the more testosterone it releases into your body which overall in my mind will make you whole body stronger, is this true? Before I broke my back I was squatting at about 10 reps anywhere from 315-335 and I am only 5'8 155lbs. I would like to get back to this point because I always felt like the harder I worked my lower body the better base I would have for a stronger upper body. Hope this makes sense lol.

Michael,

The idea that any transient increase in testosterone (or GH for that matter) from compound movements like squats or deadlifts is a myth. The reason squats work so well for overall mass is that they are very efficient. They stress a very large percentage of the body's overall skeletal muscle and therefore provide a very significant growth stimulus with a minimum of actual work.

Chris Mason 08-21-2012 04:43 PM

Re: What is your #1 strength training question?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe (Post 1087977)
Tim, no offense toward Chris, but he is a Powerlifter not a Gymnastics Coach.

MU is mainly transition. I remember the old 15 of each but I have seen young gymnasts do them when they didn't have those numbers. Especially in ring dips. Many young gymnasts become pullup machines but dips and ring dips progress slowly with them. I've been able to do them when I was fresh around 7 or 8 pullups/dips (not even ring dips mind you just on PB). 10-10 is probably all that is necessary. 10 legit hollow pullups.

I'd still like to hear your input on it though, Chris.

True, but I do know quite a bit about the body's physiological adaptation to resistance. In other words, don't pigeonhole me. With that said, I agree that I don't have the experience with MUs to have anything other than a solid guess.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.