CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Exercises (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Deadlift grip for SS (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=30021)

Trampas Hutches 04-06-2008 12:38 PM

Deadlift grip for SS

Getting ready to start the SS program in conjunction with CrossFit. I have always used a Lt over/Rt under grip for deadlifting heavy wt. Is this good, bad or personal preference?

Brandon Oto 04-06-2008 12:41 PM

Re: Deadlift grip for SS

Use as double overhand as much as possible. Switch to a mixed grip (and/or a hook grip) if/when the weight becomes too much to lift otherwise.

A normal overhand grip will develop your grip strength better. The mixed grip will let you move more weight.

Steven Quadros 04-06-2008 01:43 PM

I'll echo what Brandon said, with an addition: really emphasize being able to double overhand pull; it will build great grip strength, and will help with other things, like pull ups and chins. I see many peopel at the gym deadlifting low weights, ie. big guys DL 185, with mixed grips just because it has become part of the lift for them. I believe Rip recommends, if you're lifting heavily, that you warm up with the Double overhand until your last few warmups, or, if you can, until your work sets. It will build grip strength and potentially, if you have shoulder problems, save you some pain that the mixed grip might produce.

Scott Allen Hanson 04-06-2008 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Quadros (Post 286915)
I'll echo what Brandon said, with an addition: really emphasize being able to double overhand pull; it will build great grip strength, and will help with other things, like pull ups and chins. I see many peopel at the gym deadlifting low weights, ie. big guys DL 185, with mixed grips just because it has become part of the lift for them. I believe Rip recommends, if you're lifting heavily, that you warm up with the Double overhand until your last few warmups, or, if you can, until your work sets. It will build grip strength and potentially, if you have shoulder problems, save you some pain that the mixed grip might produce.

Currently doing a SS cycle, and that's exactly what I do. Double-overhand, no hook, for all warm-up sets. I switch to alternating for my work set because I could only get about one rep otherwise before grip failure.

Timothy Bartee 04-10-2008 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trampas Hutches (Post 286892)
Getting ready to start the SS program in conjunction with CrossFit. I have always used a Lt over/Rt under grip for deadlifting heavy wt. Is this good, bad or personal preference?

In addition to what has already been written, I think it is a good idea to alternate your alternating. One set with left over/right under then one set with right over/left under and so on.

Chad Skola 04-10-2008 10:23 PM

I agree with tim. Make sure to switch you don't want to have some crazy strong left had from doing months of overhand and have your right hand be all sad and feel left out at the strength party. Alternate grip is the way to go with heavy loads. You can lift more and you dont risk dropping it as easy. Of course I think NSCA always recommends an alternate grip? I will have to check. hahaha!