CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Injuries (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Boxers Fracture (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=56758)

Peter Deng 03-28-2010 02:24 AM

Boxers Fracture

I had a boxer's fracture around mid-January and I recently got out of the cast around the beginning of March. Recovery has been good for the most part (UC Davis offers fantastic insurance and a great physical therapy resource) and I've been doing light workouts.
My only problem is that I've neglected CrossFit for upwards to 2-3 months (I had problems working out coming into college and finding time) and I would love to start up again since I want to be fit for rugby season next year. I still have a lot of scar tissue around the base of my hand, so I've had problems doing things like bench press, thrusters, presses, even a basic push-up because my hand is still locked into place when I try to do any kind of 'pushing' motion with my wrist. I was curious if there was anything I could do to replace that movement if I start doing the WOD? I'm more than williing to ease of it, but if there're substitutes, that'd be great!

Steven Low 03-28-2010 04:29 PM

Re: Boxers Fracture

Dips possibly? DB work?

Gotta start stretching and deep tissue massaging to break up the scar tissue though...

Mat Bryan 03-31-2010 02:24 PM

I would say, go super light. I helped a former workout buddy get through a shoulder surgery. It is a perfect time to build from scratch. Build the support muscle anyway you can. If you cant push... then DBs may not work, unless you do not flex your wrists.

Wrist and hand exercises, using full ROM, along with stretching is warranted. The more you massage the entire arm the faster it will proceed.

Jamie J. Skibicki 03-31-2010 03:53 PM

Mat and I agree.

I would also continue to work the other arm. I'm coming off of rotator cuff injury and my doctor was really suprised by my condition. He thought I would have lost much more strength and size. I did very little with my right, but trained my left like I would have if I was not injured.

Mat Bryan 03-31-2010 07:22 PM

[QUOTE=Jamie J. Skibicki;761866]Mat and I agree.

I would also continue to work the other arm. I'm coming off of rotator cuff injury and my doctor was really suprised by my condition. He thought I would have lost much more strength and size. I did very little with my right, but trained my left like I would have if I was not injured.[/QUOTE]

Finally...

That is the exact thing I had my buddy do. He said he hated working one arm. The good thing is... he got to relearn how to lift. He had built up a ton of bad habits.
This guy had both shoulder completely blown out, at different times. One blew out was repaired the other blew out not long after. When I was helping him, he had just gotten his Labrum tightened around his left socket.

The key is to go slow and be patient. The scar tissue, as Steven said, needs to be broken down. That has to happen before gains are made. The wrist, like the shoulder, is needed in nearly every movement. Unless you an insane specimen of determination like Kyle Maynard.