CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Better to blast through the warm-up at 10 reps or struggle through at 15? (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=3556)

Nick Cummings 09-09-2006 11:45 AM

I have been doing the complete 3 sets of 15 rep warm-up and feel like it is taking something out of my workout. I am not sure if this is good or bad. I am considering staying with the complete warm-up and scaling the WoD back some so that I can maintain a higher intensity with plans of building gradually back up. Any comments?

Andrew G. Greenberg 09-09-2006 01:46 PM

What is your rationale for doing this?

Jason Lopez-Ota 09-10-2006 04:50 AM

I suggest you start out with 10 reps and work your way up to 15 reps, if it is that hard for you.

-Jason

Mike ODonnell 09-10-2006 05:16 AM

warmup should be more dynamic movements to get full ROM and all your muscles ready....shouldn't be a workout...scale it down to something you can handle and then save the rest for the WOD.

Josh Brehm 09-10-2006 09:02 AM

Actually, Mike, Dan John and I think even Coach have said that the warm up should be a workout of it's own. Dan John wrote an article saying how he suggests using the warm to practice skills that should be practiced regularly/daily and to practice something that needs to be practiced so you can move on. Example, if I'm sucking at my cleans because of me front squat, he suggests doing a couple sets of light-medium front squats in the warm up until they're no longer an issue.

Elliot Royce 09-10-2006 02:38 PM

I may be wrong but I continue to see the CFWU as the basic menu for fitness with the WOD added on for emphasis in one particular area (which combined with other WODs adds up to the next level of development). I've come to this realization a bit late but am now trying to faithfully do the WU. Sometimes I go for minimum time and when I'm lazy I just roll through it more gradually.

Then I have my "dessert" with the WOD or some other exercise I'm working on.

Mike ODonnell 09-10-2006 04:49 PM

Josh you are correct. I should of said that a warmup should not seem like a workout done at normal intensities, such as 80%+ 1Rmax. I do mine at around 30-40% 1Rmax. I also agree with the practice on the more complicated lifts, especially the OHS and snatch/clean. Esp the OHS since it really works a majority of weaknesses. Also some dynamic stuff like lunges, sampson stretch, hip rotations, scorpions, hindu pushups, 1 legged toe touches, balance boards,...nothing formal, like to mix it up to keep things interesting.

Jeff Roddy 09-10-2006 06:32 PM

WOD 060827 has a link describing the Canadian Infantry School's Austere Army Operational Fitness Program. Under "schedule", Coach states that in this case the WU should be done with reps between 20-25% of max.
So does 15 fall within that range?
J

Mike ODonnell 09-11-2006 05:08 AM

All depends if 15 is easy or hard for you. If your max pullups are 15...then no, 15 pullups would probably not be ideal as a warmup...may have to do 15 jumping pullups or only sets of 5. Scale to your level.

Tim Triche, Jr. 09-12-2006 06:57 AM

The warmup is supposed to get the blood pumping so it's got to be at least a little strenuous (reflexively)... however if it's destroying your performance then obviously you need to fix that!

You will note that in the CFJ issue (and FAQ entry) where the rationale for the CFWU is discussed, Coach makes a note that when a WOD calls for eg. pullups or dips, it is sensible to omit those from the CFWU. I know I do!

As someone else said, the warmup is a great time to practice skills, eg. dynamic pulls to muscle-ups, or glute-ham raises, or kip-ups. I am focused now on ballistic/explosive movements and rounding out my gymnastic skills, so I tailored my personal version of the CFWU to emphasize movement choices that reflect this -- instead of GHD situps, I give myself the option of working on kip-ups; instead of pullups, I'll try three to five explosive pulls where I attempt to transition to a support. And so on.

Dan John probably got the idea from Dan Gable, one of the greatest American wrestlers who ever lived. "If it's important, do it every day; if it's not important, don't do it at all." So if I may be so bold, I would suggest that you make your warmup conducive to reaching your most important goals, and reduce or omit anything that gets in the way.

If your goal is to perform well and continuously improve in the WODs, then reduce your warmup volume (or utilize assistance, or scale the movements) to support this. Scaling down the WOD makes sense if you can't complete it any other way, but if it's your warmup that's ruining your performance, then the warmup needs to be tweaked. There are a lot of variations on the CFWU theme, with some exploring I'll bet you can assemble one that works best for you, at this point in time. You can always go back to full-volume canonical CFWUs later on if it feels right, but if you don't have a truthful yardstick to measure your progress by (eg. WODs where you can push yourself to the limit), that can be discouraging.

ps. You do get enough sleep right?

(Message edited by ttriche on September 12, 2006)