CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Injuries (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Adductor/Groin pain (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=15416)

Randy Roper 01-16-2007 10:48 PM

About 5 weeks ago I was participating in Judo when I experience 'something' in both sides of my inner thighs. One of those times when you are warmed up and feel a pull but it doesn't hurt until later. The next day I was sore on both sides but not the sharp pain I've felt before with a pulled groin. It was more like DOMS type. It has not gone away. Once it's warmed up it's not too bad, but when cold, any sudden strain like catching myself from slipping on ice...ouch...Tried the usual, ice, rest, stretch bands etc. Also hurts just above the pelvic bone toward my hips on both sides. I'm thinking I've got a tendon problem rather than muscular. Has anyone experienced this? Any treatment suggestions? I've hurt just about everything at some point but this is a new one and is lasting longer..

Elliot Royce 01-17-2007 11:49 AM

It's a bit of a mystery to me what you've got but often times foam rolling can help a lot by bringing blood flow to an area and helping to stretch the tissue.

Brian Richards 01-23-2007 09:28 PM

Hi Randy,
A few days ago I was doing 275lb. squats and felt a slight strain in what I now understand to be the inguinal canal area. This I'm all but positive is the region you described adjacent to your hip. Anyway it really didn't bother me but the day after I was really kind of alarmed at how sore it had become along the left edge of my lower abs by the hip. Really tender man. I got a little freaked-out that I'd given myself a hernia. I'm going to run-on hear a bit. I hope you'll bear with me. What my online research has revealed to me is that I probably have what's generally accepted as a "sports hernia." See if this looks like what you've got and we'll compare notes. [url=http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/sma/sma_sporthrn_sma.htm]http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/sma/sma_sporthrn_sma.htm[/url]

Peter Howarth 01-24-2007 02:24 AM

Randy.Sounds to me like you have a tear in your adductors on both sides.They take quite a few weeks to repair and cos you're always using those muscles its a tough area to fully rehab.Sports massage should help.
The upper pelvic pain sounds like a separate issue that Brian has the right information on.

Brian Richards 01-24-2007 10:14 PM

Hey Guys,
What's leading me to believe Randy's got a sports hernia or "Gilmore's Groin" (named for the English doctor who diagnosed the condition) is the presence of groin and abdominal pain simultaneously while aggravated most often by sudden movement. This, I'm finding, is not one to mess around with. It needs immediate rest. As I understand it if it's continuously injured it reguires surgery. I've had a mild case of the abductor thing too Peter(good thought by the way) and this thing feels different. It's sort of a deep tenderness that radiates from your lower abnominal region and into your groin and occasionally it bothers you in the testicles particularly when sitting. Not a fun one.

Randy Roper 02-04-2007 10:37 PM

Brian,
Unfortunately I think you've called it. I did some more research on the Gilmore's Groin and I have most of the symptoms. I do feel a bit better mentally as I was concerned it was a prostate or testicular problem. Thanks

Brian Richards 02-05-2007 12:27 PM

Hi Randy,
Just an update. My injury seems to be getting quite a bit better with rest. Last week I decided to meet with my workout partners to advise them that I'd be taking one full week of rest out of the gym. By rest I mean rest. I figured if I gave it one week and went back to do mild protected movements, I'd have at least an inclination as to whether rest will do anything to solve this. My symptoms have disappeared for now but the big test will be on Thursday when I'm back in the gym to try a few things out. I have a feeling this thing might be happening to a number of athletes and is unfortunately not being diagnosed properly. On the bright side, keep in mind this isn't actually a hernia but rather a strain in the same area. Hernia's always require surgery as far as I know. We may be able to get off the hook with rest.

Randy Roper 02-05-2007 10:11 PM

Thanks Brian,
I've rested this past week and it does seem to feel a bit better. Did you also feel increased pain when jogging or running? Kind of a jarring effect?

Brian Richards 02-06-2007 09:17 PM

Hi Randy,
You know it's weird. It doesn't really cause me pain per se. I'm usually not aware that I've done something to strain it until after I've done it in which case it manifests as a dull ache radiating down into the groin usually the next day. It's more annoying than anything else. It makes me feel like I can't do anything with any real intensity. It sort of hobbles you in your core. Believe it or not I think I strained it a bit yesterday when I was changing my bed sheets. You know how you have to reach and stretch to get the fitted sheet on the mattress? I think that actually fired it up a bit. grrrrrr! As for jarring pain, I haven't done any jump rope(my usual cardio) since I noticed the injury but I can imagine that your guts bouncing down there could cause a strain along the inguinal area where the injury occurs. This could likely be what your feeling during running.

Brian Richards 02-09-2007 11:36 AM

Hey Randy,
So, I went in and did bench press and timed interval dips last night at the gym. Then I did hanging leg raises and incline sit-ups for some ab work. I purposely avoided anything like squats or dead lifts as a preliminary test. I'm pleased to say that everything feels pretty good(a little bit "off" in the area but no new tenderness.) Try this stretch. Hold on to something like a rail for support and do a carefully controlled exagerated lunge. When you're in position carefully "roll" your pelvis inward toward the floor on your side opposite your forward leg. You should be able to tweak the motion at that point to loosen up the inguinal and lower abdominal area. Try it carefully and I think you'll see what I'm talking about. Go slow though.