CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Over 50 Crossfitters Sign In (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=39289)

Deb Weber 01-21-2011 06:40 PM

Re: Over 50 Crossfitters Sign In

Nice deadlift Pat

[B]01.21.2011-Friday-Day 5[/B]
Still not sleeping well.

Warmup: Row 500, squat lunge, Backsquat/OHS drill, shoulder mobility & stretch.

[B][B]WOD: Athlete's Choice[/B][/B]
Complete as many reps as possible in 12:00 of:
squat clean thrusters
perform 7 toes to bar every minute on the minute, starting at minute 0:00
Level 1 - 75# (45#), Level 2 - 95# (65#), Level 3 - 135# (85#)
[B]OR shedkicker[/B]
10 rounds for time of:
3 muscle-ups
30 double unders
[B]Regular WOD, 22 reps @ 85# Modified[/B] Did 5 rounds of 7 T2B and the rest 5 T2B... I was only getting one squat clean thruster after the first rounds (these took a long time b/c I was using the setup I learned at FDU & trying to actually squat clean nice & low, happy with these, getting better). T2B!! sometimes my shoulders hurt, sometimes not, today they hurt, plus my hamstrings.

Then full snatch prax with 55, and 45.

Bill Hoogsteden 01-21-2011 09:11 PM

Hi folks!

It's been awhile! Welcome to all the newcomers! There's a really great bunch of folks on this forum that inspire, encourage, support, & help one another so much!

Michelle -Congrats on your Rope Climb & Snatch PR! It's a tough move for me. Like trying to walk & chew gum at the same time!

Deb - Way to go on those squats!

Pat - I'm jealous of your Dead Lifts!! ;)
Claw, you're having way too much fun!:rofl:

Cliff, Jeff, I can SO RELATE to you guys!!

Seems back in early November, I flew out to San Diego & during my 1st run on the hotel gym treadmill, I couldn't do 400m. It felt like a REALLY NASTY Charlie Horse in my lower left calf. It didn't go away for at least 3 weeks, but I was going to see my doctor that month for my semi-annual check up that month, so I was going to ask him about it.

Unfortunately, he had to cancel, but by then, I was feeling better, though my calf was still swollen, and I didn't think anything about it. I went on through the holidays, & even set a bunch of PR's & kept doing out Burpee (Yay! Burpees!) Challenge.

Monday, My wife got a GOOD look at my legs & dragged me to the doctor's. I got an ultrasound the morning & I had Deep Vein Thrombosis ( [URL]http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/tc/deep-vein-thrombosis-topic-overview[/URL]) or DVT, essentially a blood clot in lower leg and a new one forming above the knee.:eek: We think the flight out to SD caused the problem. It was a time bomb waiting to happen! All the prospective scenarios for untreated DVT go from bad to worse!:yikes:

That landed me a day in the hospital till they could figure out the right amount of blood thinners to put me on to dissolve the clot. It was SO frustrating to be there, yet scary at the thought of what could have been. Of course I am [I][B]SO THANKFUL[/B][/I] for finding Crossfit after seeing [I][B]"Real"[/B][/I] sick people.

So they sent me home with new meds to take. (The worst of it is having to inject myself with Lovenox twice a day - BUT it beats the HELL out of 4:15AM hospital wake-up calls!!) Unfortunately, I have to scale back my workouts,i.e[I][B]. NO [/B][/I]leg or lower body stuff for about two weeks (tried to get the doc to tell my wife that shopping is out, but then she told me to just give her all the money!) Hopefully within a week, I can get off the injections & totally off the blood thinners within a few months.

My plan is to cut back & focus on upper body stuff, some of the gymnastics stuff & the MWOD stuff until I get the clearance from my doc. Got to remember this time is part of my training & not get too bummed out it.

Jim Colby 01-21-2011 10:21 PM

Pat, 66 years old and pulling 435# is fantastic. Way to go!

William/Cliff/Jeff,
Unfortunately, this is part of ageing. I have had torn calf muscles, torn rectus abdominus muscle, ruptured biceps tendon and ruptured achilles tendon within the past 10 years. The last two injuries required surgery and 6-months of restricted activities in the affected areas. The main thing is to cross-train like a madman and get super-strong in the areas that you can train. When you can start working on the injured area, ease into it and be patient. You can recover and make new PRs. Cliff, I would see another orthopedic surgeon specializing in your type of injury for a second opinion. That is a pretty severe prognosis, so its worth looking into it further. Jeff, calf injuries can be treated effectively with trigger point massaging, calf rolling with a "stick", stretching, icing daily and easing back into things slowly. Jumping rope, box jumps, intervals, etc. all stress the calf tremendously and rest periods are important.

Deb, great work as always. I suck at oly type lifts.

[B][U]January 19-20[/U][/B]
Working hard (the kind that pays the bills) and no WODs. Very busy time of year.

[B][U]January 21[/U][/B]
Shoveled snow for an hour before work in the morning. No probs with the back this time. 6" of fluffy stuff followed by a blue-bird sunny day. Beautiful day today.
[U]Warm-Up[/U]
10 minutes jumping rope
3 circuits of 5 DH pull-ups, 10 x 45# OHS, 10 push-ups, 20 v-ups
10 minutes of mobility work and dynamic stretching
[U]WOD[/U]
[B]Ski Circuit[/B]
3 Rounds of:
25 x 24" box jumps with full hip extension at top
50 squats
50 walking lunges
48 x 12" slalom pattern hurdles
1 minute wall sit @ 90 degree angle
3 minute rest between rounds
r[B]ound 1 - 6:14, round 2 - 5:55 (PR by 10 secs), round 3 - 5:58, 18:07 total time (PR by 12 secs)[/B]
[U]Stability/Core Work[/U]
50 x each leg of side leg raises with 3# ankle weight (gluteus medius)
50 x each arm of side-lying shoulder rotation with 5# weight (rotator cuff)
2 minute plank
[U]Warm-Down[/U]
Shoulder, calf, hip, hamstring stretching

Felt good tonight. Brisk, invigorating temps in the garage. 25 degrees. Perfect for workouts.

Jeff Metzger 01-22-2011 09:25 AM

Oh the joys of ageing!

There' a chiropractor that works out of the Crossfit Morristown gym. His practice is called Barefoot Rehab and he does a lot of Active Release Therapy, or what I prefer to call it, Painful Probing Massage. I saw him the day after my injury and he began work on me right then. It really helped.
I recovered enough to attend on ramp this morning.

So, today's workout:

3 rounds of 1 minute at each,

Hang Power Cleans, 45#
Thrusters, same 45#
Wall Ball, 8#
Rest

On my last round my form was failing on the HPC's and I got on my toes, BAM, bad for the calf put the bar down and cost everyone a penalty of five burpees. D'oh!!!

Starting to feel a little better with the moves. Need to stay cautious with the calf though.

William, Holy Crap! That is quite a scare. So glad you caught it the way you did. It's important to listen to our bodies....

Bill Hoogsteden 01-22-2011 10:08 AM

Jim, Jeff,

Damn straight on the "joys of aging"! I read about DVT prevention on long flights & try to do all the stuff they recommend. Considering everything, I was MORE than lucky nothing happened sooner!! Just got to follow Dr.'s orders (even though "they don't understand"). ;) At least I can still do upper body stuff, which keeps me from going stir crazy! ;)

Pat Quigley 01-22-2011 11:02 AM

I guess we go on working the parts that work and letting the rest recover. Returned to Tribal Fitness today and my coach. I missed them last weekend as the group was out at local cross fit competition.
Mobility shoulders.

WOD
200 run, 8 hspu
400 run, 6 hspu
600 run, 4 hspu
800 run, 2 hspu
Scale row
15:27.
Strength. OHP, 5x135, 1x 185.

Michael Stiles 01-22-2011 12:06 PM

[B]January 21st[/B]
Dropped in on CrossFit Raleigh while on business travel. 1st early morning WOD ever.

[U]Warm-up[/U]
100 jumping jacks

[U]WOD[/U]
Power cleans
5 x 3@65lbs
3@75lbs
3@95lbs
3@115lbs
1 RM 160lbs PB

[U]Cool down[/U]
50 4-count flutter kicks

[B]January 22nd[/B]
...back at Orange County CrossFit.

[U]Daily Apple[/U]
1000m row
Movement prep
15 rage balls 10lbs
15 2-fer wall balls 14lbs
15 box jumps 20"

[U]Skills[/U]
KB snatch
Barbell snatch
[U]
WOD[/U]
30 KB swings each minute / 1 minute rest x 5 rounds. Every rep under 30 = 3 penalty burpees at end.
139 reps @ 35lbs total - 33 penalty burpees

[U]Apple Core[/U]
20 wall ball situps 14lbs
20 2-count mountaineers
20 GHD hip extensions

Tim Randall 01-22-2011 12:13 PM

Pat and the rest of the gang of "Mature warriors" , I am with you guys on continuing to work the parts that work and being patient on the rehabilitation of the injured areas (patiences certainly isn't one of my strong suites! Saw this quote that was pretty accurate---"Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish. ~John Quincy Adam"

Believing for speeding and complete recovery for all and for great success in all the goals you have for 2011!

I did manage to get 4 modified WOD's in this week and a lot of mobility for the shoulder/Scapula area along with doing a 2 mile and 4 mile run. Felt pretty confident of my Lower body strength so I went for a new BS 1RM after doing a good warm up!
WU:-row 5oom, leg swings, air squats, MWod hips 5min, 20 back ext
BS: WU:-65x10, 95x10, 135x5, 185x5
BS:1,1,1,1,1,1,1
205,225,235,245,255, 260, [B]265PR[/B];)
WOD: 1 legged Pistols, L-sit Pull-ups for time: (scaled Pistols to 16"box)work on balance
16/16--15/15--,12/12--,8/8--- Time: [B]7min[/B]

Cool down-stretch-Hamstring mobility on box 5min each leg, then PT routine for Neck, back, shoulder 20min-
(Take wife shopping, lunch, movie) for putting up with my whining about being so $%#^up and not knowing it earlier in life (how pathetic is that):rofl:
Have a great weekend!!:):)

Jim Colby 01-22-2011 02:51 PM

Wow, we're going through a tough phase on this log with many of our ageing athletes taking some hits. We will persevere however!

[B][U]January 22[/U][/B]
[U]Warm-Up[/U]
10 minutes jumping rope
10 minutes of mobility work and dynamic stretching
[U]Strength[/U]
Front Squat: 10x45#, 5x130#, 5x150#, 8x170# (had more in me but lost bar off fingers)
Deadlift: 10x135#, 5x135#, 5x225#, 5x260#, 6x295# (hurt my back again on 6th rep and had to stop)
[U]Swimming[/U]
400 yd warm-up (untimed)
2x200 (3:27, 3:24, 2 min RI)
4x100 (1:34-1:37, leave on 3 mins)
6x50 (0:43, leave on 90s)

Bummed about my back. I thought it was recovered, and the weights felt easy, but I guess not. I won't do any heavy lifting involving my back, especially heavy deadlifts, before my ski trip in early Feb. I didn't hurt my back nearly as bad as a couple of weeks ago shoveling the driveway, but it is sore, so I'll have to be smart about next week's training.

Cliff Miller 01-22-2011 07:53 PM

so great meeting with physio today. she set me up on a simple 3 step program for the next 2 weeks. 3 movements 4 times a day. she was happy with the rom i had 3 days out from surgery and was most positive about getting me back to where i was. she did say 3-6 months is about right.

she did indicate that depending on how "good" i am following my program she would not discount me setting a few more pr's in some movements.

all in all very happy today. plus found a new bbq place in vancouver that blows the others away. to bad it is an hour away from squamish.

life is looking up..........