CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Injuries (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Collarbone pain while doing dips (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=66796)

Brent Ramos 04-28-2011 04:24 PM

Collarbone pain while doing dips

I was doing dips last week and noticed that my collarbone area was hurting a little while doing the dips. I finished my workout and the next day the area was a bit sore. It's not really bad pain at all, but I'm wondering what could cause this. I thought it could just be because I'm pretty heavy (200 lbs) and maybe that my body wasn't used to sustaining such stress. However, I had been doing deeps in the weeks prior to the pain.

Also, I have a friend that is much lighter and notices the same pain the collarbone area.

Could it be from using too wide or too narrow of a grip? These are just standard dips on bars, not ring dips or anything.

Bob D Pratt 04-28-2011 06:59 PM

Re: Collarbone pain while doing dips

[QUOTE=Brent Ramos;931316]my collarbone area was hurting a little while doing the dips. [/QUOTE]

Where on your collar bone? You pec (chest muscle) attaches to the medial inner 1/3 of your clavicle. If the pain is here it's from your chest muscle. Are you bending at the waist? This puts more pressure on your chest. Try keeping a more vertical body position.
If it hurts near your shoulder it could be a couple things: rotator cuff perhaps.
If it hurts ice it and rest it. work on mobility.
good luck,
bob

Jared Ashley 04-28-2011 07:29 PM

Wide dips can put a lot of stress on the collarbone. I broke my left clavacle twice 11 years ago, and if I do bar dips on something even slightly wide I feel every rep on the left side, right where I broke it, zero pain on the right. I get no pain doing ring dips or any other pushing movement.

Brent Sallee 04-28-2011 10:11 PM

[QUOTE=Bob D Pratt;931372]Where on your collar bone? You pec (chest muscle) attaches to the medial inner 1/3 of your clavicle. If the pain is here it's from your chest muscle. Are you bending at the waist? This puts more pressure on your chest. Try keeping a more vertical body position.
If it hurts near your shoulder it could be a couple things: rotator cuff perhaps.
If it hurts ice it and rest it. work on mobility.
good luck,
bob[/QUOTE]

If he's actually talking about his clavicle, then it's probably his sternoclavicular joint. That's a bit complicated to fix on your own. A PT, chiropractor, or trained orthopedist could address it pretty easily with some joint mobilizations, if you decide to see someone about it.

Brent Ramos 04-30-2011 11:34 AM

It's definitely right around the clavicle (collarbone). I usually feel it near the bottom of the dip, and as I push up out of the dip. It doesn't feel like a rotator cuff/shoulder pain, more isolated in the clavicle area. I do bend at the waist when doing dips.

It's not a bad pain and it only occurs after I do dips multiple times in the week. For example, I took about a week off of doing them and included them in a workout on Thursday and there was no pain.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Frank Petkovich 04-30-2011 09:12 PM

Until you go to a PT or a doctor, don't do dips. Any exercise that aggravates an area of your body should not be continued until you know what, specifically, is causing the problem. There are plenty other tricep routines you can do instead of dips.

Brent Sallee 04-30-2011 09:39 PM

[QUOTE=Frank Petkovich;932001]Until you go to a PT or a doctor, don't do dips. Any exercise that aggravates an area of your body should not be continued until you know what, specifically, is causing the problem. There are plenty other tricep routines you can do instead of dips.[/QUOTE]

I imagine that, if it doesn't hurt now, movements utilizing extensive extension, external rotation, or horizontal abduction will aggravate it most. That means dips and primarily snatch would be out. Honestly though, it's something that you should get checked out, Brent. It's pretty easy to fix and will reduce the chance of you getting osteoarthritis at the sternoclavicular joint.