CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Injuries (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Biceps pain days after pullup WOD -- Is this OK? (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=14961)

Bob Hatfield 03-23-2006 07:19 PM

For several days now my lower biceps/ligaments have been pretty sore. It happend after doing the WOD of several days ago: 10 sets of the 30/30 pullup/rest (with bands). It's either the lower part of the biceps or the ligaments -- not sure. It hurts most when I straighten out my arms. Mornings bring pain and stiffness.

The WOD today called for more pullups and I went ahead with it. (I'll feel that in the morning for sure!)

Question: Should I ease off a bit? The pain doesn't bother me -- in fact, if it's supposed to hurt, then I'm all over it. However, if it's a sign that I'm about to injure my arms, I'm going to slow down.

For ref: I'm 40, 225lbs, 25%BF, 6'2" (Body by Bud) and unafraid.

Thanks all.

Garrett Smith 03-23-2006 07:44 PM

Bob,
First thing, it would have been more helpful to you if you posted this before you did another pullup workout. :happy:

Give it a day or two more to resolve. It is likely DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness), which typically peaks in intensity 48 hours post workout and fades away over the next couple of days after that. The fact that you were able to do another pullup workout within a couple of days is another sign that this was DOMS.

Many other CFers were sore from that workout, it is a lot of pullups, no matter what your strength is!

You might want to ease off on pullups until the soreness goes away, the next time it shouldn't be as bad. That being said, soreness is often a part of CF post-workout aftermath, as we do so many different movements (that create different soreness patterns) in a randomized manner.
Don't try to make yourself sore (that's not smart), and don't be surprised when it happens (it will).

If you are new to muscle soreness and this turns out to be some, note exactly how it feels. This will help you when you come to the board in the future--saying "pain" and "soreness" mean two very different things to those in the know. It all "hurts", knowing what kind of hurt is the most important factor for those who can help you.

Jason Billows 03-23-2006 07:44 PM

Bob,

Are you new to doing the CF workouts? If so, I expect your bicep soreness is simply due to the new workload your muscles are experiencing.

I had the exact same thing happen to me when I first started. Try to stretch our your muscles regularly and you'll probably find the soreness will be gone before long.

That being said, if you are concerned that it is an injury kind of pain vs. a workout kind of pain, go get it checked.

Lynne Pitts 03-24-2006 01:37 AM

Moving to Injuries.

Bob Hatfield 03-26-2006 05:43 PM

Thanks everyone. The pain is gone now -- it went away after several days.

I suspect I just over did it as suggested above. I can do pull-ups (assisted) again and am back to "normal" muscular soreness.