CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Pukie's Bucket (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   combining pullups with school (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=80508)

Nik Nichols 02-27-2013 08:21 AM

Re: combining pullups with school

Hamze, the point is, exercize is not comfortable. It is not eazy. I just did my daily befor work warm up in freezing temps with no heat with boots, pants jacket, hat and gloves. took about 20mins because I drug it out.

You need to do something. all this talk is doing nothing. pushups situps squats pullups, you have a pullup bar, that is all you need. Start there, do something.

if you don't like what we said you should do, SAY IT. then do something else that fits for you, but do something.

Andrew N. Casey 02-27-2013 12:07 PM

here. read, apply, be awesome.

http://talktomejohnnie.com/aggressiv...ing-up-to-2013 WFS except a little language.

Clint Harris 02-27-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey (Post 1143086)
... 11. Weighted Pull Ups can cure world hunger. ....

Now you've done it LOL

Hamze Abdi 02-28-2013 07:22 PM

So I came up with the money to get the track membership.

After the 100m test, I would like to fit in 30 sprints that day. I'm not sure how to go about it, though. Anyone here have any ideas for a sprint program with 30 sprints in it?

Bill M. Hesse 02-28-2013 07:44 PM

That is too many.

Jeff Enge 02-28-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamze Abdi (Post 1143860)
So I came up with the money to get the track membership.

After the 100m test, I would like to fit in 30 sprints that day. I'm not sure how to go about it, though. Anyone here have any ideas for a sprint program with 30 sprints in it?

"30 sprints." What does this mean? There is absolutely no reason to do that kind of volume. You don't frequency method sprinting like you do pullups.

If you are really dead-set on being a sprinter - 100m/200m - you're going to be best served with strength training and shorter sprint workouts. CFFB, like Andrew has said and repeated, would be a good choice.

More isn't always better.

By the way, what was your 100m test time?

Chris Jones 03-01-2013 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Enge (Post 1143868)

Probably hasnt done it, he said after it he would like to get in 30 sprints. But its cold outside, so hes uncomfortable weathering the elements.

Pearse Shields 03-01-2013 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamze Abdi (Post 1143860)

Yes. Do 100m, 200m, 400m, 600m, 800m. Rest 2 minutes between each set. Rest 10 minutes, then repeat the whole series of sprints for a total of 6 times. That's 30 sprints total.

OR, you could be sensible, and do less than 30 reps and follow a more established protocol instead.

Bill M. Hesse 03-01-2013 06:06 AM

Abdi, I am going to share an industry secret with you. Don't tell anyone but it is the best way to get your hands on top training secrets: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sprinting+training+protocol WFS

Hamze Abdi 03-03-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Enge (Post 1143868)
"30 sprints." What does this mean? There is absolutely no reason to do that kind of volume. You don't frequency method sprinting like you do pullups.

If you are really dead-set on being a sprinter - 100m/200m - you're going to be best served with strength training and shorter sprint workouts. CFFB, like Andrew has said and repeated, would be a good choice.

More isn't always better.

Finally got on the track. 100m time was 17.5 seconds. They actually have a pullup bar in the place. I was shocked when I saw it...

Bill M. Hesse 03-03-2013 08:24 PM

17.5 shows room for improvement. Get working!

Hamze Abdi 03-03-2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse (Post 1144855)
17.5 shows room for improvement. Get working!

The guy that timed me(nice man) said my acceleration was not very good. I have read that the start is half of the battle. Short of using the track for conditoning work, I don't really know how to get better at the 100m...

Pearse Shields 03-03-2013 11:50 PM

You have so much room for improvement that you just need to worry about running at this stage, never mind using pull-ups to improve by a fraction of a second.

I recommend more running and strength work in general.

Bill M. Hesse 03-04-2013 06:32 AM

How does one get better at pullups? Do pullups! If you suck at getting off the blocks, then practice getting off the blocks. But don't do it 30 times. 10 would probably do with a good a minute or two break. Do some time work like a sprint every minute on the minute until you drop below a certain time, say 20s? The goal is you want to keep your intensity high. Running slow on the track won't help you.

Andrew Wiemken 03-04-2013 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamze Abdi (Post 1144859)
The guy that timed me(nice man) said my acceleration was not very good. I have read that the start is half of the battle. Short of using the track for conditoning work, I don't really know how to get better at the 100m...

Front Pause Squats. Explode out of the bottom position. Not only will stronger legs and hips help your speed and athleticism in general, but *learning* to explode is important - it's definitely a skill that can be trained. The quads are very important off the blocks and in those crucial first few steps because of your body angle during the dig phase. As long as you know 'how' to sprint, then the next step is carefully, methodically increasing your leg strength. When you search google for front pause squats, you see a Charles Poloquin article "bottom position pauses for strength.....", that's a great article to check out.

But also, just practice your starts, stay loose. It's easy to tense up in those first few choppy steps, but it's important to stay loose at all times during a sprint.

Hamze Abdi 03-04-2013 05:19 PM

That's just it... I can't really strength train since I am unable to afford a gym membership.

I pretty much blew all my money on the track membership.

Bill M. Hesse 03-04-2013 05:46 PM

Then sprint, do pullups, and add pushups for good measure.

Hamze Abdi 03-04-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse (Post 1145152)
Then sprint, do pullups, and add pushups for good measure.

More shots at me?

Brad Allen Jones 03-04-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamze Abdi (Post 1145158)
More shots at me?

Stop being so defensive. That is advice.

Eric Montgomery 03-04-2013 06:03 PM

You do realize he outed himself as a troll, right?

Hamze Abdi 03-04-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad Allen Jones (Post 1145166)
Stop being so defensive. That is advice.

No, I just wasn't sure. I can't really detect tone over the Internet, haha.

The advice is much appreciated, guys. *is trying to resist the temptation to do low-intensity work*

Brad Allen Jones 03-04-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamze Abdi (Post 1145169)
No, I just wasn't sure. I can't really detect tone over the Internet, haha.

The advice is much appreciated, guys. *is trying to resist the temptation to do low-intensity work*

Keep resisting. "All positive adaptations come through intensity". It wouldn't kill you to do it every once in a while though.

Hamze Abdi 03-04-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery (Post 1145168)
You do realize he outed himself as a troll, right?

I got on the track. What more do you want from me?

Sara Ochsner 03-04-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamze Abdi (Post 1145233)
I got on the track. What more do you want from me?

What more do you want from the people here? You have gotten tons of feedback now you need to organize it, make a plan and attack it.

Hamze Abdi 03-04-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sara Ochsner (Post 1145252)
What more do you want from the people here? You have gotten tons of feedback now you need to organize it, make a plan and attack it.

Sounds good. I will.