CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Pukie's Bucket (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   combining pullups with school (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=80508)

Nik Nichols 02-25-2013 12:41 PM

Re: combining pullups with school
 
Hamze, I hope you are not letting this get you down.

Did you run? Did you do on the min pullups again?

Hamze Abdi 02-25-2013 12:56 PM

Re: combining pullups with school
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sara Ochsner (Post 1141998)
Did you do your running test? All you need is a watch, a portable clock (phone, laptop, battery operated clock etc) or you could even video tape it and get the time off of there.

Mm, that's genius. Offline laptop stopwatch, I make it big enough to see from 100 meters, and I can guage my time from there.

I still need the money. They're not letting me run for free. I need 9 dollars for a drop-in. 44 dollars for a monthly pass.

I just feel weird and self-concious about being the only guy with a laptop to time myself.

Jeff Enge 02-25-2013 01:01 PM

Re: combining pullups with school
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamze Abdi (Post 1142193)
Mm, that's genius. Offline laptop stopwatch, I make it big enough to see from 100 meters, and I can guage my time from there.

I still need the money. They're not letting me run for free. I need 9 dollars for a drop-in. 44 dollars for a monthly pass.

I just feel weird and self-concious about being the only guy with a laptop to time myself.

Stopwatches or wrist watches can be had dirt cheap.

I can't believe there is no school around you with a track you can use for free.

Jeff Enge 02-25-2013 01:12 PM

Re: combining pullups with school
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Enge (Post 1142197)
Stopwatches or wrist watches can be had dirt cheap.

I can't believe there is no school around you with a track you can use for free.

You could always talk to these people http://ottawalions.com/contact/ (wfs) and ask where you might find a track, if you really do want to run.

Sara Ochsner 02-25-2013 01:15 PM

Re: combining pullups with school
 
Don't you use a treadmill on a regular basis? What speed are you running on that?

Hamze Abdi 02-25-2013 01:31 PM

Re: combining pullups with school
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Enge (Post 1142205)
You could always talk to these people http://ottawalions.com/contact/ (wfs) and ask where you might find a track, if you really do want to run.

I tried calling those people, they didn't answer. Should I leave a message?
The nearest sportschek I could find has stopwatches that go for around 20 dollars.I called a dollar store, and they said they don't have any stopwatches. Maybe I just live in an expensive city, but I can't find any cheap stopwatches.

I don't know what you want me to do.

John Holcombe 02-25-2013 01:35 PM

Re: combining pullups with school
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamze Abdi (Post 1142216)
I tried calling those people, they didn't answer. Should I leave a message?
The nearest sportschek I could find has stopwatches that go for around 20 dollars.I called a dollar store, and they said they don't have any stopwatches. Maybe I just live in an expensive city, but I can't find any cheap stopwatches.

I don't know what you want me to do.

You might not realize this but your attitude comes across as if you are extremely ungrateful for all the help people are trying to give you on here.

Hamze Abdi 02-25-2013 01:44 PM

Re: combining pullups with school
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Holcombe (Post 1142218)
You might not realize this but your attitude comes across as if you are extremely ungrateful for all the help people are trying to give you on here.

Sorry, that is not the impression I wanted to give.

I'm just frustrated. Where are those cheap stopwatches I'm supposed to find but can't?

Clint Harris 02-25-2013 02:07 PM

Re: combining pullups with school
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamze Abdi (Post 1142221)
Sorry, that is not the impression I wanted to give.

I'm just frustrated. Where are those cheap stopwatches I'm supposed to find but can't?

It's right behind you. Turn around, it's there. See it ? If you turn and it isn't there, that just means it's moved behind you again, so keep trying to look behind you. You'll find it.

Nik Nichols 02-25-2013 02:11 PM

Re: combining pullups with school
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamze Abdi (Post 1142221)
Sorry, that is not the impression I wanted to give.

I'm just frustrated. Where are those cheap stopwatches I'm supposed to find but can't?


Use anything, a wrist watch with seconds or second hand will work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clint Harris (Post 1142227)
It's right behind you. Turn around, it's there. See it ? If you turn and it isn't there, that just means it's moved behind you again, so keep trying to look behind you. You'll find it.

Not helpful.

Clint Harris 02-25-2013 02:14 PM

Re: combining pullups with school
 
Can't help the helpless. Sorry.

Hamze Abdi 02-25-2013 02:39 PM

Re: combining pullups with school
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik Nichols (Post 1142230)
Use anything, a wrist watch with seconds or second hand will work.


Not helpful.

Eh, I think I might actually be to afford a stopwatch.

Jeff Enge 02-25-2013 02:53 PM

Re: combining pullups with school
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamze Abdi (Post 1142244)
Eh, I think I might actually be to afford a stopwatch.

OK, I'm not trying to be rude, but there are things you have to be able to figure out for yourself. Neither I, Nik nor anybody else on this thread lives in Ottawa and cannot walk you through every step.

For the timing device, I can name you four things on my desk at work right now that have the ability to keep time - my phone, my work phone, my computer and a clock. At home I have my home computer, a tablet, a stopwatch, at least one wrist watch and two more clocks. Timekeeping is all around you, and you don't really need anything more fine than seconds.

As for facilities, we are not familiar with your area. Most of us can't spend large amounts of time on the internet searching for places you can run. I just posted the first thing that came up on Google.

Eric Montgomery 02-25-2013 03:05 PM

Re: combining pullups with school
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamze Abdi (Post 1142216)
I tried calling those people, they didn't answer. Should I leave a message?
The nearest sportschek I could find has stopwatches that go for around 20 dollars.I called a dollar store, and they said they don't have any stopwatches. Maybe I just live in an expensive city, but I can't find any cheap stopwatches.

I don't know what you want me to do.

I'm guessing you didn't take my advice to read "Message to Garcia."

Nik Nichols 02-25-2013 03:52 PM

Re: combining pullups with school
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Enge (Post 1142260)
OK, I'm not trying to be rude, but there are things you have to be able to figure out for yourself. Neither I, Nik nor anybody else on this thread lives in Ottawa and cannot walk you through every step.

For the timing device, I can name you four things on my desk at work right now that have the ability to keep time - my phone, my work phone, my computer and a clock. At home I have my home computer, a tablet, a stopwatch, at least one wrist watch and two more clocks. Timekeeping is all around you, and you don't really need anything more fine than seconds.

As for facilities, we are not familiar with your area. Most of us can't spend large amounts of time on the internet searching for places you can run. I just posted the first thing that came up on Google.

Agreed here, I am extending every grace and patience to you Hamze, but I/we can only go so far.

Jeff he did find a track.

Brad Allen Jones 02-25-2013 03:57 PM

Re: combining pullups with school
 
If you can't find/afford a track to run at, do intervals on the treadmill. Add an incline to it if that gets boring. Mix in explosive jumping and you'll get the same benefit you would get at a track.

Jeff Enge 02-25-2013 04:27 PM

Re: combining pullups with school
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik Nichols (Post 1142282)
Agreed here, I am extending every grace and patience to you Hamze, but I/we can only go so far.

Jeff he did find a track.

Im kinda with him though that I wouldnt pay 9 bucks just to use a track...

Dustin Wintczak 02-25-2013 05:58 PM

Re: combining pullups with school
 
You don't need a track to do sprints. Go find a flat stretch of ground somewhere....find a starting point. Take 100 medium size strides mark it...and you've got roughly 100 yards. You can do sprints, you can jog back and forth 100 yards at a time, you could do 100 yard shuttle runs. Best of all it's free! If you take slightly longer than normal stride you'll be close enough to 1 yard per stride and be just fine.

Ian Nigh 02-25-2013 08:20 PM

Re: combining pullups with school
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clint Harris (Post 1142227)
It's right behind you. Turn around, it's there. See it ? If you turn and it isn't there, that just means it's moved behind you again, so keep trying to look behind you. You'll find it.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Brad Allen Jones 02-25-2013 08:26 PM

Re: combining pullups with school
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Nigh (Post 1142391)
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Ian, you're a coach. If someone were to come to you asking these questions, as ridiculous as they might seem, I hope that you would act differently and try to help them.

Ian Nigh 02-25-2013 08:41 PM

Re: combining pullups with school
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad Allen Jones (Post 1142392)
Ian, you're a coach. If someone were to come to you asking these questions, as ridiculous as they might seem, I hope that you would act differently and try to help them.

You have to pick your battles man. I have fired clients before for different reasons, passive aggressive attitude and making no effort to follow coaching has been one of them.

Bill M. Hesse 02-25-2013 08:42 PM

Re: combining pullups with school
 
Do pullups till failure a few times and do sprints to failure a few times. Repeat twice a week.

Brad Allen Jones 02-25-2013 08:47 PM

Re: combining pullups with school
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Nigh (Post 1142402)
You have to pick your battles man. I have fired clients before for different reasons, passive aggressive attitude and making no effort to follow coaching has been one of them.

That's understandable, but in my opinion laughing and poking fun at them is another matter. A few of us were making fun of him earlier when we thought he was trolling, but now its apparent that he just really needs help. He isn't a client, he's just a kid who is pretty well lost in this fitness stuff.

Clint Harris 02-25-2013 09:12 PM

Re: combining pullups with school
 
So I posted what I did because I has spent about 7secs googling an answer for him (again - like the indoor track) and decided, furg it, the next thing will be $8 is too much, or I don't like the color, or it hangs around my neck and how am I supposed to run with it.

Just run outside, as fast as you can, and don't worry about the time. It'll toughen you up running in the cold.

Brad Allen Jones 02-25-2013 09:25 PM

Re: combining pullups with school
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clint Harris (Post 1142421)
So I posted what I did because I has spent about 7secs googling an answer for him (again - like the indoor track) and decided, furg it, the next thing will be $8 is too much, or I don't like the color, or it hangs around my neck and how am I supposed to run with it.

Just run outside, as fast as you can, and don't worry about the time. It'll toughen you up running in the cold.

I understand why you did it, but sometimes you gotta keep that stuff to yourself I guess. Just trying to keep this thread positive and help out the OP, even though its difficult.

That is good advice though, I doubt the weather in Ottawa is any worse than it is here in Michigan. Today would have been an awesome day to go get some sprints in! :kicking0:

Nik Nichols 02-26-2013 07:04 AM

Re: combining pullups with school
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clint Harris (Post 1142232)
Can't help the helpless. Sorry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Enge (Post 1142292)
Im kinda with him though that I wouldnt pay 9 bucks just to use a track...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clint Harris (Post 1142421)
So I posted what I did because I has spent about 7secs googling an answer for him (again - like the indoor track) and decided, furg it, the next thing will be $8 is too much, or I don't like the color, or it hangs around my neck and how am I supposed to run with it.

Just run outside, as fast as you can, and don't worry about the time. It'll toughen you up running in the cold.

If you see him helpless, don't post. We are trying to help and you and everyone else making fun are not. If you think it is dumb, or he can't be helped, leave. Don't start hacking on him. Your negative post are not needed.

There has been plenty of post over the years that I though were dumb, but I just did not post, even as much as it annoyed me I left it alone.

Benig negative and hacking on others makes this sire negative. One thing I have always loved about this site is the patience and support to ALL on here from power lifters to people just starting who have never lifted a weight in their life and are sick and way over weight.

Pleas try and help this or not post negative.

Nik Nichols 02-26-2013 07:07 AM

Re: combining pullups with school
 
Jeff, on the 9 dollar track, I'd do it if I knew I'd be on it for a wile. I have a buddy though who will not pay it. Running on the street is good, but he said he found a track, and if he wants to pay, I'll back him up just to get him to run a little.

For all the runs on crossfit I have places marked out for 400/800/1000m. But if I am doing 400m splits or if the workout is timed runs I'll go to the track forsure. But it is free for me though.

Hamze Abdi 02-26-2013 06:52 PM

Re: combining pullups with school
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clint Harris (Post 1142421)
So I posted what I did because I has spent about 7secs googling an answer for him (again - like the indoor track) and decided, furg it, the next thing will be $8 is too much, or I don't like the color, or it hangs around my neck and how am I supposed to run with it.

Just run outside, as fast as you can, and don't worry about the time. It'll toughen you up running in the cold.

I've never actually had a problem running while timing myself(other than the fact that I can't perfectly time myself). That part is very easy.

Bill M. Hesse 02-26-2013 06:57 PM

Re: combining pullups with school
 
Just train primal style and do what I said. Time isn't important and nor is reps at your point in time. Do what you want to do to failure a few times with a minute or two between sets. After 3-5 sets go home and dont put another thought into it.

Hamze Abdi 02-26-2013 07:01 PM

Re: combining pullups with school
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Enge (Post 1142197)
Stopwatches or wrist watches can be had dirt cheap.

I can't believe there is no school around you with a track you can use for free.

Well yeah, there's free tracks but they're OUTSIDE. Too cold to train...

Bill M. Hesse 02-26-2013 07:20 PM

Re: combining pullups with school
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamze Abdi (Post 1142772)
Well yeah, there's free tracks but they're OUTSIDE. Too cold to train...

Abdi, come on man! Live a little!

Brad Allen Jones 02-26-2013 07:23 PM

Re: combining pullups with school
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse (Post 1142784)
Abdi, come on man! Live a little!

Exactly, you think Rocky had time to eff around with paying for tracks? Hell no. He just got it done. Bill and I don't live that far from you, your climate is probably the exact same as ours right now, and the weather honestly hasn't been that bad lately.

Jeff Enge 02-26-2013 07:23 PM

Re: combining pullups with school
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamze Abdi (Post 1142772)
Well yeah, there's free tracks but they're OUTSIDE. Too cold to train...

Then you must not really want to run all that much. We are not the people to give excuses to, we are just giving advice. None of us can hold you accountable for you meeting your goals. Ultimately, its your choice what you want to do. But if you want people to keep trying to help you, throwing excuses out for everything isnt going to do it. You may find everybody is too frustrated to offer anything.

Brad Allen Jones 02-26-2013 07:37 PM

Re: combining pullups with school
 
Seriously, please watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6w4XtsfyVo (WFS)

Charles Golden 02-26-2013 07:38 PM

Re: combining pullups with school
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamze Abdi (Post 1142772)
Well yeah, there's free tracks but they're OUTSIDE. Too cold to train...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad Allen Jones (Post 1142785)
Exactly, you think Rocky had time to eff around with paying for tracks? Hell no. He just got it done. Bill and I don't live that far from you, your climate is probably the exact same as ours right now, and the weather honestly hasn't been that bad lately.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Enge (Post 1142787)
Then you must not really want to run all that much. We are not the people to give excuses to, we are just giving advice. None of us can hold you accountable for you meeting your goals. Ultimately, its your choice what you want to do. But if you want people to keep trying to help you, throwing excuses out for everything isnt going to do it. You may find everybody is too frustrated to offer anything.

Do we even remember that the only reason we started talking about running anywhere was so that you could get a time in the 100, 400 or some measureable distance? So many people have tried to help, including searching for locations to run, and so far all we've heard is how much the track or stopwatch costs or how cold it is or some other lame excuse. Take some of the best advice I've ever received: YOU CAN HAVE RESULTS OR EXCUSES BUT YOU CAN'T HAVE BOTH.

Clint Harris 02-26-2013 08:02 PM

Re: combining pullups with school
 
You may enjoy running in the cold. It's an experience that builds character. It's one of those things that sounds terrible, is terrible, but for some reason was really great to do.

Some of the best memories I have as a kid was playing rugby early on Saturday mornings, with no shoes, in the freezing cold and frosts. Yes, that's right, no shoes were allowed. The shower afterwards would sting so bad I can still remember it 30 years later.
Then training at night in the cold freezing rain blowing pretty hard too ... straight off Antartica and across the ocean.
We'd then be running as fast as we could in ankle deep mud and old school jersey's that weighed twice as much as we did. It didn't matter what the time was, only that we got there before anyone else.
The leather ball of the day would be so water logged, and heavy, is was like running with a large ice block that sucked to carry, sucked to catch and sucked even worse to kick.
Not many complaints at the time there. Only fond memories. Could have quit at anytime but didn't.

Many of us have played sport outside in less than ideal conditions. I bet you can look out your window at certain times of the day and see people running around your neighborhood. They've probably been out there for 20+ minutes ... you'll be spending 10 max. I also actually run up and down the street outside .... it isn't even flat .. shock-horror. There's a hill. Woe is me.
Don't even start to begin to wonder what the military guys have gone through either. And that's not even when deployed and having more important things to worry about with regards to temperature and other dangers. Granted that is a totally different scenario than running 100 meters a few times a week in the cold .... but puts it into perspective on how pathetic all of this sounds.
So, per some wise words given previously in this thread. Harden up buttercup.

Nick Hoffman 02-26-2013 09:49 PM

Re: combining pullups with school
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamze Abdi (Post 1142772)
Well yeah, there's free tracks but they're OUTSIDE. Too cold to train...

Too cold?...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye8jddRP-bs wfs

Watch and go run.

Nick Hoffman 02-26-2013 09:50 PM

Re: combining pullups with school
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad Allen Jones (Post 1142794)
Seriously, please watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6w4XtsfyVo (WFS)

Awww you beat me.

Nik Nichols 02-27-2013 07:10 AM

Re: combining pullups with school
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad Allen Jones (Post 1142794)
Seriously, please watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6w4XtsfyVo (WFS)

Dude I just watched half that and I am going to go hit my warm up like a boss. It is freezing here and I don't have heat in the gym but I am going right now!!!:run:

Brad Allen Jones 02-27-2013 07:25 AM

Re: combining pullups with school
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik Nichols (Post 1142920)
Dude I just watched half that and I am going to go hit my warm up like a boss. It is freezing here and I don't have heat in the gym but I am going right now!!!:run:

Ahh you are welcome sir! Maybe someone else (coughcough) will get some motivation out of it.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.