CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Pukie's Bucket (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   combining pullups with school (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=80508)

Jeff Enge 02-22-2013 07:20 AM

Re: combining pullups with school

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik Nichols (Post 1141014)
Good, ok, net question. What is you goal with the pullups? What do you want to be able to do. Think short term goal and long term goal.

short term goal. I would like to add 3 more pullups to my total to my 65 rep daily count.

long term goal, knock out 10 reps in a row like a champ.

You get the idea.

This will help us know how to coach you in your daily efforts.

OK, sucked me back in.

While I agree with Nik that you need to have those goals quantified, I think your long term goal has to go past pullups. In your mind, what is a better ability to do pullups going to lead you to?

Hamze Abdi 02-22-2013 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Enge (Post 1141020)
OK, sucked me back in.

While I agree with Nik that you need to have those goals quantified, I think your long term goal has to go past pullups. In your mind, what is a better ability to do pullups going to lead you to?

Run fast. Hopefully, look prettier.

Jeff Enge 02-22-2013 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamze Abdi (Post 1141023)

OK. In that case, pullups are a good start, but they are not going to be the main drivers of either of those goals. They should end up being something almost auxiliary. Out of curiousity, where are you now with your times running-wise? Do you run competitively or "for fun," as it were? As for the looks, that's going to start with diet, and its going to end with lifting heavy things.

Eric Montgomery 02-22-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamze Abdi (Post 1141023)

So you've been having your life revolve around pullups and two hour treadmill sessions based on a desire to run faster? Seriously, you don't see the disconnect here?

Brad Allen Jones 02-22-2013 09:42 AM

Spend some time reading some of the information on the boards, Hamzi. No matter how much you run or do pull ups, your body won't look much better if you binge on waffles and nutella.

Andrew N. Casey 02-22-2013 11:04 AM

if you want to run faster and look better then do this:

http://www.crossfitfootball.com/ WFS

do this, and only this. do it as it says to do it. rest when it says rest. eat what it says to eat. do this for one year. the rest will take care of itself. report back in a year and share awesome results. ok, see you in a year. oh, and you're welcome.

Chris Jones 02-22-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik Nichols (Post 1141012)
Gotta extend that grace, that is what makes this community so good, we all want to help each other as best we can.

I totally agree and I didn't mean anything negative or mean by it. Some of the replies just seemed so far out in the beginning it almost came off as just messing with people.

Ian Nigh 02-22-2013 12:54 PM

Oh man... I have tears running down my face and my diaphragm muscles are cramping up... haven't laughed this hard in a month of Mondays.

Thank you Hazmi, you are an artist!

Hamze Abdi 02-22-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Enge (Post 1141020)
OK, sucked me back in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery (Post 1141055)
So you've been having your life revolve around pullups and two hour treadmill sessions based on a desire to run faster? Seriously, you don't see the disconnect here?

It was never meant to be permanent. The whole point of cardio is to help lose weight and get better at pullups. Once I get good enough, then I can stop training pullups so much and work on something else(maintain pullup ability 3 times a week). I would never spend 3 months doing hours of cardio...

Why is it okay for Harry Aikines-Aryeetey to sprint a lot and do a lot of pullups?

Even Michael Jordan had to skip school for basketball. His father had to make him attend school.

Jeff Enge 02-22-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamze Abdi (Post 1141163)
It was never meant to be permanent. The whole point of cardio is to help lose weight and get better at pullups. Once I get good enough, then I can stop training pullups so much and work on something else(maintain pullup ability 3 times a week). I would never spend 3 months doing hours of cardio...

Why is it okay for Harry Aikines-Aryeetey to sprint a lot and do a lot of pullups?

Even Michael Jordan had to skip school for basketball. His father had to make him attend school.

OK, here's the problem: You ask for help, and then act defensive when people try to give you help!

Here's the disconnect: Pullups are not going to make you better at running - and by running, I assume you mean sprinting. Period. There is little to no correlation there. Walking is not going to make you better at sprinting. Period. You don't want to be a scrawny bas**** to be a good sprinter, you have no power then.

You know what's going to make you better at sprinting? Sprinting. Sprinting while pushing a loaded sled. Strengthening your body by lifting heavy things. Harry Aikines-Aryeetey is a sprinter, and he may do a lot of pullups. Do you notice he is also 5'11" and 210 lbs? How do you think he got that way??

I'm going to ask again: Where are you right now in terms of running times? I'm guessing if you don't understand training for your goals, you may need a wakeup call as to what running "fast" actually is.

Hamze Abdi 02-22-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Enge (Post 1141180)
OK, here's the problem: You ask for help, and then act defensive when people try to give you help!

Here's the disconnect: Pullups are not going to make you better at running - and by running, I assume you mean sprinting. Period. There is little to no correlation there. Walking is not going to make you better at sprinting. Period. You don't want to be a scrawny bas**** to be a good sprinter, you have no power then.

You know what's going to make you better at sprinting? Sprinting. Sprinting while pushing a loaded sled. Strengthening your body by lifting heavy things. Harry Aikines-Aryeetey is a sprinter, and he may do a lot of pullups. Do you notice he is also 5'11" and 210 lbs? How do you think he got that way??

I'm going to ask again: Where are you right now in terms of running times? I'm guessing if you don't understand training for your goals, you may need a wakeup call as to what running "fast" actually is.

From The latissimus dorsi, one of the main muscles used during pullups is HIGHLY active during running. And I have data to show that it shows electrical signs of fatigue to the same degree as the leg muscles do during running (during 5K-intensity treadmill running in competitive runners).

The upper body helps transfer energy down to the lower body, which transfers energy to the ground. The ground then transfers energy back up to through the body, helping the legs spring off the ground (physics - equal and opposite reaction). During running, the shoulder going into extension (moving backwards) helps to pull the body down to generate these ground reaction forces...

Just watch a sprinter sometime and see how they "throw" their arms down towards the ground to do this. A distance runner cannot do this to the same degree, since it shifts the balance between power and economy the wrong way for a distance race...

Since it is VERY clear that the lats are very active during running and show very clear signs of fatigue, it is likely they could benefit from some sort of training. Pull-ups would be an excellent way to train them. Considering most of the shoulder motion is occuring with the humerus either slightly in front or totally behind the torso, concentrating on the upper most part of the pull-up is important.

From here: http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_re...#ixzz2Lf4AYo1z

"The latissimus dorsi, one of the main muscles used during pullups is HIGHLY active during running. And I have data to show that it shows electrical signs of fatigue to the same degree as the leg muscles do during running (during 5K-intensity treadmill running in competitive runners).

The upper body helps transfer energy down to the lower body, which transfers energy to the ground. The ground then transfers energy back up to through the body, helping the legs spring off the ground (physics - equal and opposite reaction). During running, the shoulder going into extension (moving backwards) helps to pull the body down to generate these ground reaction forces...

Just watch a sprinter sometime and see how they "throw" their arms down towards the ground to do this. A distance runner cannot do this to the same degree, since it shifts the balance between power and economy the wrong way for a distance race...

Since it is VERY clear that the lats are very active during running and show very clear signs of fatigue, it is likely they could benefit from some sort of training. Pull-ups would be an excellent way to train them. Considering most of the shoulder motion is occuring with the humerus either slightly in front or totally behind the torso, concentrating on the upper most part of the pull-up is important.

"

I'm convinced that there are studies out there that show that pullups can be helpful to sprinters and athletes.

Jeff Enge 02-22-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamze Abdi (Post 1141198)
From The latissimus dorsi, one of the main muscles used during pullups is HIGHLY active during running. And I have data to show that it shows electrical signs of fatigue to the same degree as the leg muscles do during running (during 5K-intensity treadmill running in competitive runners).

"The latissimus dorsi, one of the main muscles used during pullups is HIGHLY active during running. And I have data to show that it shows electrical signs of fatigue to the same degree as the leg muscles do during running (during 5K-intensity treadmill running in competitive runners).

"

I'm convinced that there are studies out there that show that pullups can be helpful to sprinters and athletes.

OK, again: How fast a runner are you now? The more you ignore that question the more I will assume that you don't understand the process. My point is, there's NO reason to train parts of your body that assist running more than the parts of your body that actually do the running.

Trust me on this, I'm not elite runner but I am decent and I have trained for it before. I get weird looks from people in my gym when I tell them a proper arm motion is almost as important to running as a proper stride. Those weird looks go away when they try it and it actually helps. I get where you're coming from. But you are putting the cart before the horse if you are focusing more on strengthening your lats to run well than strengthening your legs.

Hamze Abdi 02-22-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Enge (Post 1141201)
OK, again: How fast a runner are you now? The more you ignore that question the more I will assume that you don't understand the process. My point is, there's NO reason to train parts of your body that assist running more than the parts of your body that actually do the running.

Trust me on this, I'm not elite runner but I am decent and I have trained for it before. I get weird looks from people in my gym when I tell them a proper arm motion is almost as important to running as a proper stride. Those weird looks go away when they try it and it actually helps. I get where you're coming from. But you are putting the cart before the horse if you are focusing more on strengthening your lats to run well than strengthening your legs.

I don't know. How do I test my 40 yard dash?

Brad Allen Jones 02-22-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamze Abdi (Post 1141198)

"

I didn't read that, but you are SERIOUSLY over analyzing this Hamzi. Pick a program and stick to it, don't just do exercises because they carry over to one another (maybe). Crossfit Football is the best for your goals.

Jeff Enge 02-22-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamze Abdi (Post 1141202)

40 yard dash is not a legitimate running test, it is a test of power and how fast you can accelerate. For a normal amateur athlete, go find a track and do (at different times) a 100, 400 and 1600 (mile). If your goal is indeed to be able to run fast, you need to know how fast you can run and where your greatest genetic skill lies so you can gauge performance and improvement.

For example, my best distances due to my body type and where I'm most effective metabolically are the 400 and the 800. It slopes down from there. I can be passable at the 200 and 1600, but am not particularly good at less or greater than that.

Hamze Abdi 02-22-2013 02:23 PM

It's winter here. Where do I find a track?

Clint Harris 02-22-2013 02:34 PM

http://www.ymcaywca.ca/locations/Kanata+Y/

WFS

It must be true because it's on the Internet

Jeff Enge 02-22-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamze Abdi (Post 1141208)

It's winter here too, Hamze, I feel your pain. Have some patience, you are 20 years old. My training advice still stands: Work on getting stronger everywhere. You will be surprised how much a gain in overall strength can make in you running.

You can test yourself whenever it gets warm enough to run. Or if you can find an indoor track somewhere, they are usually 200m, and you can usually find them in high school or college athletics facilities if you have any around you.

Jeff Enge 02-22-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Enge (Post 1141220)
It's winter here too, Hamze, I feel your pain. Have some patience, you are 20 years old. My training advice still stands: Work on getting stronger everywhere. You will be surprised how much a gain in overall strength can make in you running.

You can test yourself whenever it gets warm enough to run. Or if you can find an indoor track somewhere, they are usually 200m, and you can usually find them in high school or college athletics facilities if you have any around you.

Or, what Clint said. That'll probably work too.

Dan Douglas 02-22-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Nigh (Post 1141157)
Oh man... I have tears running down my face and my diaphragm muscles are cramping up... haven't laughed this hard in a month of Mondays.

Thank you Hazmi, you are an artist!

I was laughing till I saw that pull up video. Now I am having nightmares lol :yikes:

Brad Allen Jones 02-22-2013 02:51 PM

Guys we've had our fun but from now on I'd appreciate it if you refrain from putting anything but constructive advice on here.

Hamze Abdi 02-22-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Enge (Post 1141220)

Hmm, I found a track. Costs about 8 dollars to use it. Should I test now, or in the morning tomorrow?

Brad Allen Jones 02-22-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamze Abdi (Post 1141241)
Hmm, I found a track. Costs about 8 dollars to use it. Should I test now, or in the morning tomorrow?

I know that around here you can usually use a high school gym for free. Maybe look into that, they usually have some kind of indoor track area. As for when you go test it, that's up to you and your convenience.

Nik Nichols 02-22-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Jones (Post 1141122)
I totally agree and I didn't mean anything negative or mean by it. Some of the replies just seemed so far out in the beginning it almost came off as just messing with people.

I know what you mean, but we are not all the same. It has been hard at best to get good info to work with ( no insult Hamze) and it came across that he was messing but still it seemd we were all missing the meaning of each other.

Quote:

Quote:

Test it tomorrow when you are fully rested and post your time no matter what they are. They are a building point, a place to start. If you can not finish a run , not that, or how many time you had to stop. That is still a starting point to go from.

Just a note, running faster is not going to happen by walking on the tread mill for two hours.

You want to trim down, and look better, eat right. Start small, like give up sodas and sugar drink( I am just saying for instance, I know not what your diet is). Give up sugar drinks, then when you get that under controll, move to other bads in your diet.

Sara Ochsner 02-22-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

I would go through a warm up routine before you test.

Andrew N. Casey 02-22-2013 03:54 PM

i noticed you ignored my post earlier.... i told you what to do... solve all your problems... if you don't have access to weight then do P90x... pick one and do it and stop thinking about what to do... get off this board and go get to work... throw something, pick up something heavy, do pushups or pullups, and sprint - or any combination of those you like - for between 20 minutes to an hour 4 to 6 days a week. completely rest 1 to 3 days a week. eat lean meat and veggies. do this for at least 3 months. report back at that time. either you will take advice or you should stop asking.

oh - and as to the winter thing i would say you need to harden up, buttercup.

Hamze Abdi 02-22-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik Nichols (Post 1141249)
Test it tomorrow when you are fully rested and post your time no matter what they are. They are a building point, a place to start. If you can not finish a run , not that, or how many time you had to stop. That is still a starting point to go from.

Just a note, running faster is not going to happen by walking on the tread mill for two hours.

You want to trim down, and look better, eat right. Start small, like give up sodas and sugar drink( I am just saying for instance, I know not what your diet is). Give up sugar drinks, then when you get that under controll, move to other bads in your diet.

Will try to test it... I just gotta get a stopwatch.

Eric Montgomery 02-22-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

No, the point of cardio is to get better at cardio and possibly lose weight. If you want to get better at pullups you do pullups. And you don't need to train pullups every day to improve on a max of 7-8 pullups.

Harry Aikines-Aryeetey trains a lot because he's a professional athlete and his livelihood depends on it. And I guarantee pullups are only a small part of his training...his squats, deadlifts, Olympic lifts, and track work have a far bigger impact on his speed than pullups do.

What does Michael Jordan skipping school have to do with anything? I'm assuming you mean him leaving UNC after his junior year to go to the NBA...which means he was leaving college early to sign a multimillion dollar contract. You're not getting yourself set for a multimillion dollar contract by prioritizing pullups ahead of school.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamze Abdi (Post 1141272)
Will try to test it... I just gotta get a stopwatch.

I'm not trying to be rude here, but how do you manage to feed and clothe yourself on a daily basis if you require this much assistance on finding a place to test your speed? I highly recommend taking 10 minutes to read this (WFS) and think about how you could apply it to your current situation.

Andrew N. Casey 02-22-2013 04:55 PM

since you continue to ignore my posts... let me ask you this...

would you like me to make you out a program? then you will know exactly what do.

Hamze Abdi 02-22-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey (Post 1141290)
since you continue to ignore my posts... let me ask you this...

would you like me to make you out a program? then you will know exactly what do.

You called me buttercup. I wasn't aware you were on my side...

Jeff Sprunger 02-23-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery (Post 1139335)
Are you still wasting two hours every day on walking?

I'm really having a hard time seeing how school would prevent you from doing a few sets of pullups at some point during the day.

ditto!!!

Jeff Sprunger 02-23-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamze Abdi (Post 1139355)
I'd stay up 24 hours a day just to get some more pullups done. That kind of relaxed lifestyle(sleep whenever you want) just doesn't work with school. I'd get scared to eat anything because I'm afraid it will ruin my pullups. I don't even watch TV anymore.

I don't know what to tell you. My life is different now.

I can't tell, is this guy serious? or is this a joke...:shrug:

Jeff Sprunger 02-23-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Jones (Post 1139405)
The man speaks the truth.

yeah, I like this one too!:rofl:

Jeff Sprunger 02-23-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Holcombe (Post 1139529)
no, that would be wasting time with too many non pullup exercises

walking = not doing pullups
squats = not pullups

you guys are too much:rofl:

I can't believe there is over 12 pages on this post...priceless!

Hamze Abdi 02-24-2013 11:44 PM

Well, I'd love to do deadlifts and pullups, but everytime I do deadlifts and pullups in the sameworkout, my grip is killing me and I end up sucking at both. I don't know how to combine deadlifts and pullups in the same workout especially since basketball programs tell me to do deadlifts on lower-body day and pullups on upper-body day.

Andrew N. Casey 02-25-2013 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamze Abdi (Post 1141972)
Well, I'd love to do deadlifts and pullups, but everytime I do deadlifts and pullups in the sameworkout, my grip is killing me and I end up sucking at both. I don't know how to combine deadlifts and pullups in the same workout especially since basketball programs tell me to do deadlifts on lower-body day and pullups on upper-body day.

you obviously don't actually want help. i already told you what program to follow so that you wouldn't have to think anymore or ask any questions. i also offered to make you your own program based on equipment you have available.

Jeff Enge 02-25-2013 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamze Abdi (Post 1141972)

Wait... how did we get on basketball here? Hamze, I'm obviously missing something. You really need to get some concrete goals written down.

Sara Ochsner 02-25-2013 07:20 AM

Did you do your running test? All you need is a watch, a portable clock (phone, laptop, battery operated clock etc) or you could even video tape it and get the time off of there.

Bill M. Hesse 02-25-2013 11:34 AM

I say ditch all of that and just to some flexercise. Basically, that is all you need.

Brian Strump 02-25-2013 11:37 AM

This is officially the dumbest thread I have come across.

My 2c.