CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   $650 home gym (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=57653)

Eli Ebreo 04-26-2010 09:00 AM

$650 home gym

1 Attachment(s)
I wanted to show that with a little shopping around you could get setup with bumpers, a bar and a squat rack.

I had a limited budget of $650 and wanted to get set up with a garage gym. So after searching the forums and searching all the usual suspects I came up with this shopping list: squat rack, bar, bumper plates.

I considered the Craigslist route, but I wanted to do olympic lifts and needed a quality bar. I tried to get just the change plates off Craigslist, but no one wanted to split up their set, and the prices at Play it Again Sports were reasonable. I could have saved a few dollars going through Craigslist but, in the end it was more convenient for me to make my purchases online, and both Amazon and Garage Gym were great in getting stuff shipped out to me quickly.

The Powerline PSS60X Squat Rack I got from Amazon for $110, free shipping. The bar was recommended by Christian Fitness Factory and I was again able to get it on Amazon for $135 with free shipping. The bumper plates came from Garage Gym, and were $355 after shipping, which is $1.48/lb. I spent $35 to pick up collars and some metal change plates at Play it Again Sports. I only paid taxes on the bar from Amazon so it came out to exactly $650.

I already had the flat bench, and the carpet was from when I re-carpeted my living room. Next on the shopping list is a pull up bar, plyo boxes, and a platform.

Thanks for looking,
Eli

Todd Condell 04-26-2010 09:05 AM

Re: $650 home gym

How much was the dog? Was he figured into that cost? He looks like he's chained to the bench. If he's going to crossfit he's going to have to break free of the bench. :rofl:

Cody Reis 04-26-2010 09:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I was lucky when I was looking to outfit my garage gym, I got a power rack and bar from a local highschool for $50. Bar aint bad and gets me by fine for now.

So far my gym includes:
Power Rack & Oly bar
45s & 25s in rubber
35, 25, 10, 10, 5, 2.5 in iron
Adjustable bench
Rubber horse stall mat

I'm sitting just under $500 so far.

Here's an older pic before I got the bumpers and mat.

Eli Ebreo 04-26-2010 09:53 AM

Todd,
Lucy, she actually drags the bench if its on the concrete!

Cody,
Looks awesome! Can you do pull ups on your power rack? If I find one for $50 that I could do pull ups on I would buy it in a second!

Eli

Todd Condell 04-26-2010 10:45 AM

Hey Eli that's cool she is using the bench as her pulling sled. I like it.

Matthew Vesey 04-26-2010 04:03 PM

And I thought I had an amazing deal with my garage gym setup! you got some good pickups for amazing prices! I hope you have the same spending fate with future additions as they tend to add up quickly if your not careful in your budgeting :D

Adam Dunn 04-28-2010 07:24 PM

Eli,

Is that a puggle? Sure looks like it. I've got two that are my workout buddies and my older one is legitimately really strong...I think he could compete at the Puggle Crossfit Sectionals if there were such a thing. Good looking gym so far.

Cody Reis 04-29-2010 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eli Ebreo (Post 774704)
Todd,
Lucy, she actually drags the bench if its on the concrete!

Cody,
Looks awesome! Can you do pull ups on your power rack? If I find one for $50 that I could do pull ups on I would buy it in a second!

Eli

Yep, I can, and that was huge for me cuz my wife wasn't crazy about hanging a pullup bar from the ceiling :shrug:

Patrick Otis 04-29-2010 09:16 PM

what bar did you go with?
thanks Pat

Wayne Riddle 04-30-2010 02:54 AM

Nice outfitting on the gym.