CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   garage gym (hopefully) (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=38403)

Benji Whitehead 10-21-2008 05:20 PM

garage gym (hopefully)

5 Attachment(s)
we just bought a new house (built in 1938) that has a detached garage. i want to have a gym in the garage and get out of my current gym. not that my gym is bad, they actually let me do pretty much what i want and they have good equipment, but they don't have bumpers and sometimes people get on my nerves.

the space i have to work with is about 18' x 9.5' with an 8' ceiling. the ceiling is really just rafters but the garage is old and i'm not too sure of the strength of the construction. i want to put a pullup bar on one of the rafters but don't want to tear the whole building down when i start kipping. the rafters are spaced 2' apart and i'm going to attempt to attach pictures (the miata stays in the garage, everything on the other end of the garage is going to move to make room for the gym). does this look safe? i want to attach a 48" bar with some elbows directly to one of the rafters. i think there will be enough room for me to pull up between the rafters. if i can't get a safe and workable pullup bar there is no reason for me to go any further with this plan. i might need to add some support on the rafters to make the pullup bar safer, but i guess i'll never know until i try.

is the 8' high enough for oly lifts/ overhead squats? i'm 5'10". it seems doable to me.

the equipment i currently have is:
buddy lee jump rope
elite rings
homemade slam ball
35lb kettlebell
one 40lb dumbbell (somehow ended up in my college apartment)
pullup bar (soon to be attached)
homemade dip station from pipe, needs to be reassembled
sledgehammer

first things i plan on buying/making:
abmat
24" box
sandbags (i think i can make some sandbags and do a lot of the wods with them in place of BB)
squat stands (homemade)
bumpers and a bar (probably wright rubber bumpers and bar)

eventually i'd like to get more weights to go with the bumpers, a c2 rower, and a 1.5 and 2 pood kettlebell.

in summary, here are my questions:
do you think these rafters look safe for a pullup bar and me kipping on them?
is 8' high enough to do overhead lifts?
is there enough room for all this stuff?
should i be changing my equipment focus?

Christian Salas 10-21-2008 07:57 PM

Re: garage gym (hopefully)

yes 8' should be high enough. I'm 5'11" and I can stand up with bumpers overhead w/ 8' ceiling. I also have a garage of similar vintage. Try hanging from a beam first and see how it feels. I originally cut a couple notches in my beam to do pull ups. You should be fine.

Steve Ericson 10-21-2008 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benji Whitehead (Post 428323)
in summary, here are my questions:
do you think these rafters look safe for a pullup bar and me kipping on them?
If you connect the pull up bar perpendicular to the rafters it should hold just fine. I did this through the length of my garage 20' and it has sapported close to 1000 kipping pounds.
is 8' high enough to do overhead lifts?
yes, I am 6 foot and my buddy is 6' 4''. No problems and I believe my rafters are within a couple of inches to 8'
is there enough room for all this stuff?
yeah, if you use your floor space wisely. You can even back the miata out and use that space if needed in particular work outs.
should i be changing my equipment focus?

looks good to me

Benji Whitehead 10-22-2008 07:39 AM

i'm glad to hear that 8' is working for some people. i jumped up on the rafter and held on and it didn't feel like the whole thing was going to fall in. i'll mount the bar on there and try it out. i also plan on putting an outdoor pullup bar for nicer weather, and i can always hang my rings from the HUGE oak tree in the yard. i also plan on relocating the fluorescent lights higher up in the rafters than their current location. it seems like i'll be hitting them with overhead lifts and they might be in the way in general.

Nick Miller 10-22-2008 08:01 AM

There is a funny video on youtube of a guy doing an overhead press right into some lights. very funny.

Brian Lawyer 10-22-2008 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benji Whitehead (Post 428323)
the miata stays in the garage,

Please tell me the Miata is your wife's. I drive a generic honda accord due to gas prices and the ridiculous commute I have. But Miata? Come on.

Ardi Shero 10-22-2008 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer (Post 428840)
Please tell me the Miata is your wife's. I drive a generic honda accord due to gas prices and the ridiculous commute I have. But Miata? Come on.

:rofl:
Actually when I traveled to California 2 years ago, my girlfriend took care of the hotel and the car. She ended up getting a new Miata with steering wheel shifters. God, did I love driving that little thing. It had good pick up but not as fast as my car around the corners of Highway 1.

Amy Crawford 10-22-2008 08:56 AM

Hey Benji ... off topic, but if you ever head up 81 and make it to Blacksburg, drop us a line. I'm hoping to start an affiliate out of our garage.

Benji Whitehead 10-22-2008 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer (Post 428840)

i can tell you've never driven a miata.

it's mine. i only drive it on the weekends or when it is a guaranteed sunny day, but it is the most fun car ever. it is more like a go-kart than a car, totally unsafe, and easy to slide around.

Brian Lawyer 10-22-2008 12:53 PM

Actually, I did drive a Miata when I used to play Gran Turismo on playstation. It was the best car you could buy when you first start a career before you have any money to buy something better. I think the first thing I did was spend some money on a turbo for that car. Then after that I had enough money to buy a real race car.

Benji Whitehead 10-22-2008 01:56 PM

Gran Turismo, that's an addiction I haven't thought about in a while. I actually got my miata for free from my dad, so i'll keep it forever. it's more fun in real life than it was on Gran Turismo, but I'm sure a Nissan GTR is more fun in real life, too.

a new question...
could I put eye bolts into the rafters near the roof to hang my rings or do I need to put a couple of 2x6's up there across a few rafters and hang the rings from the 2x6?

Jill Zimmerman 10-22-2008 03:00 PM

If you put them over something like a 2x4(6) or a bar you can slide them together and apart for different user widths. Rafters are too far apart I think? and on the same rafter would give you different lengths which makes you twist. Mine are hanging from an againfaster pullup bar which works great for me.

Benji Whitehead 10-22-2008 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jill Zimmerman (Post 429226)
...and on the same rafter would give you different lengths which makes you twist...

so if i have them mounted from different heights but leveled out at the bottom i'll twist? i would not have thought of that.

Jill Zimmerman 10-22-2008 03:38 PM

Hung up a swing on an uneven tree branch even at the bottom not at the top. Poor kids could never swing without twisting, which believe me is annoying. Different moment arms forward and backward motion. I know you don't really go forward and back but if you ever get so you do fancy gymnastics like stuff the rings move. I just think it will have an effect. You can always try it, just a couple of eye bolts.
Maybe for static stuff like dips it has no effect. I need all the help I can get so don't want them moving some funny way while I am trying to stay afloat. If you do do that post the result. Flat ceiling in my basement so I can't try. I'd be curious. I just know the swing sucked and the kids never used it.

Tom Woodside 10-23-2008 09:03 AM

You've got to remember that they built things to last back then. I'll bet that you can do all the kipping you want and you'll be just fine.

"The Mazda Miata-Hugs the road like men hug men."

Henry Miller 10-23-2008 12:15 PM

Tom, they did not build to last back then any more than now. It is just that most of what wasn't built to last has allready collapsed, while the new stuff has a few years to go left. I wouldn't make any bets without looking closer. Rot is hard to see, but you can feel it. (One good thing about solid wood, it will give enough to make you scared long before it breaks, the new stuff seems solid until it breaks - normally while you are upside down).

Benji Whitehead 10-23-2008 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Woodside (Post 429813)
"The Mazda Miata-Hugs the road like men hug men."

that's one of the funniest miata insults i've heard. i give you props.

I just got home from visiting a local used equipment dealer. he had weights for 50 cents a pound. he also had a nice looking set of squat stands for $100, and a 7' bar for $15. i told him i'm looking for bumper plates and he's going to look into getting some from one of his new suppliers. i don't think he understood the bumper plates and 'real' oly bar, though. he couldn't understand why i'd want to pay $200 for a bar just because of the 'spin' and 'whip' and i couldn't really explain it to him because i've never used a real oly bar. i think i might get the squat stands, bar, and some weights from him. if my pullup bar works i'll be able to do a lot of WOD's with that equip.

I also have a SCAG mower that i'm going to sell in the spring which will give me the funds to purchase bumpers and a real bar, plus more.

Would you advise getting the cheap-o bar, weights, and stands now or make sandbags and wait until i can afford the bumpers?

Brian Lawyer 10-23-2008 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benji Whitehead (Post 430025)
I also have a SCAG mower that i'm going to sell in the spring which will give me the funds to purchase bumpers and a real bar, plus more.

Sell the Miata!

Benji Whitehead 10-23-2008 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer (Post 430079)
Sell the Miata!

never!

i can sell the mower for more than the miata anyway. i also have a 0.25 acre yard now vs. my old 4 acre yard. the SCAG doesn't make sense.

Robert Peck Fletcher 10-26-2008 03:44 PM

Benji, sent you a PM. Get back to me when you can, Thanks

Ryan Stitt 10-27-2008 02:22 PM

Benji,
You want to tie the rafters together for strength and hang the pull up bar or rings from there. You can buy the 1" steel pipe from Home Depot or lowes and use the threaded joints. I am actually working a redesign of my pull up bar, but it is kind of complicated. You might actually consider making something more multi purpose. Such as a loft are with the columns spaced correctly to be used as a squat stand and pull up bar and ring station. Then you have more open space for other movements (burpees for instance).

The loft idea is vague in description, sorry. Also, you are going to want at least 9.5' for width on the liting platform to make changing weights a little less awkward. I don't think the 8' platform width is nearly enough if it is squeezed in between two walls (6" of error on both sides isn't very much).

Good luck!