CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Home made CF equipment (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=28307)

Brad Normand 03-01-2008 06:27 AM

Home made CF equipment

Hi guys and girls,

Not really to sure where to post this so I thought'd I throw it in here. I

I started Crossfit training this past fall and fell in love with it. Currently all my workouts have been done in a gym. Lately I've been getting sick of going to the gym and thought I need to spice it up by taking my training outdoors for the remainder of the winter and soon into the summer (plus it'll allow the pup to get exercise too).

I was curious if any of you area already performing the majority of your WOD's outside. If you are, what kind of equipment have you constructed yourself or bought?

For example: - a few sets of dumbbells
- a large tire with a backpark strap for sprints
- 24' - 32' box

I dont have a problem trasporting larger objects...so any types of equipment that you guys think of or have made please let me know. Pictures would be great as well! Thanks a lot!

Stay safe, Train hard!

Patrick Donnelly 03-01-2008 07:05 AM

Re: Home made CF equipment

Most of my equipment is homemade, and most of it's really easy to make too. This is what I've got. (Work/Family Safe)

Brad Normand 03-01-2008 07:26 AM

Hey!

Nice lookin equipment!
What did you make your slam ball out of?
what was the total cost of your squat rack? Great idea right there?

Jake Thompson 03-01-2008 08:49 AM

Very impressive Patrick.

I am however, more impressed with the fact that you are a high school student and are as dedicated as you are to Fitness.

Good luck with your goals.

Brad Normand 03-01-2008 09:57 AM

Hey Guys,

so after doing some research I found a bunch of threads listing what people use in their garage's, at home, or outside. I made a list of what I thought would be the best equipment. Let me know what you think and if I should add anything:

- Olympic Bar with 400LBS of weight
- Ab Wheel
- Medicine Balls (one light/one heavy)
- Weighted back pack
- Plyo box 30"
- Parallettes
- Pull-up Bar
- Kettle Balls
- Squat Rack
- Large Tire
- Rubber matting for floor
- Dumbbells 15, 20, 40, 60

Any input??

Ryan Stitt 03-01-2008 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad Normand (Post 266313)
Hey Guys,

so after doing some research I found a bunch of threads listing what people use in their garage's, at home, or outside. I made a list of what I thought would be the best equipment. Let me know what you think and if I should add anything:

- Olympic Bar with 400LBS of weight
- Ab Wheel
- Medicine Balls (one light/one heavy)
- Weighted back pack
- Plyo box 30"
- Parallettes
- Pull-up Bar
- Kettle Balls
- Squat Rack
- Large Tire
- Rubber matting for floor
- Dumbbells 15, 20, 40, 60

Any input??

I think you would be better off with a 20" plyobox, then use something else to adjust the height up. You can always make something taller, but its hard to make them shorter.

The Ab Wheel is unneccesarry for CrossFit, but you might look into an abmat. Seems a lot of affiliates use them.
Large Tires are neat, but they take up a lot of space and they probably don't get used that often. Instead of tire flips, you can do clean and jerk. You might think about getting most of your weight in rubber bumpers. Look into Wright Exercise Equipment and contact Jason Hughes there. 1.00/pound. Much mor eversatile than iron.

Kettle Bells you will want a 1 pood, 1.5 pood and 2 pood.

Dumbells, the only workouts that I know of using dumbells off the top of my head is Bager (40# one arm dumbell snatch) and some overhead walking lunges with 15 or 20 pounds. So you could get by buying 1 of each of those sizes and be pretty well covered.

I would recommend a jump rope (licorice style jump ropes are like 3.00 and are pretty durable and quick enough)

I use a weight vest from time to time. It is far better than a backpack because the weight is distrubted around your entire torso. If you will be doing weighted pull ups, then I would recommend a belt for that as well.

The squat stands that Patrick showed would work fine. There are also steel ones that are available on ebay that some guys seem to like (there is a review thread in here some where). Look into having them built locally as well, you my get a heck of a deal.

Hope that helps,
Ryan

Patrick Donnelly 03-01-2008 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad Normand (Post 266264)
Hey!

Nice lookin equipment!
What did you make your slam ball out of?
what was the total cost of your squat rack? Great idea right there?

Thanks, Brad.

The slamball is simply a basketball full of sand, with the hole caulked shut, and wrapped in duct tape. Here (WFS) are some directions from Coach B's site on making one.

The squat rack cost about $20 using a 4x4x10' for the uprights.

Adam Moreno 03-01-2008 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Donnelly (Post 266256)
Most of my equipment is homemade, and most of it's really easy to make too. This is what I've got. (Work/Family Safe)

I really like the plate rack. Any chance that you have some more detailed images?

Edit: Never mind, I just checked out your Flickr slide show and saw what I was looking for. Nice work!

Casey Stein 03-01-2008 09:18 PM

Speaking of home-made equipment, I just built my own squat rack. Here's a link to the pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/caseydarwinstein/SquatRack

Brad Normand 03-02-2008 02:23 PM

Ryan,

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to look into the majority of those things and prices. I want to try and get everything as cheap as possible as most ppl do, LOL.

Patrick,

Thanks for the info on the slam ball. Much appreciated. You said that to build ur squat rack it only ended up being 20 bucks total?? Thats dirt cheap....or was that 20 bucks just for the 4x4x10's?