CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Community (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Inspirational Quotes (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=27527)

Adam Head 02-14-2008 07:54 AM

Inspirational Quotes

Just found this and thought I would share it.

“At the peak of tremendous and victorious effort, while the blood is pounding in your head, all suddenly becomes quiet within you. Everything seems clearer and whiter than ever before, as if great spotlights had been turned on. At that moment, you have the conviction that you contain all the power in the world, that you are capable of everything, that you have wings. There is no more precious moment in life than this, the white moment, and you will work very hard for years just to taste it again.” -- Yuri Vlasov, Soviet Weightlifter

Joe Waguespack 02-14-2008 08:21 AM

Re: Inspirational Quotes

WOW! Thats a great quote. Thanks for passing it on.

Here's one a fellow Crossfitter brought to my attention:

Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize." I Corinthians 9:26-27"

This would be a great thread to keep going for a while.

Chris MacFarlane 02-14-2008 09:07 AM

From Pre,

"Some people create with words or with music or with a brush and paints. I like to make something beautiful when I run. I like to make people stop and say, 'I've never seen anyone run like that before.' It's more than just a race, it's a style. It's doing something better than anyone else. It's being creative."

"A lot of people run a race to see who is fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more. Nobody is going to win a 5,000 meter race after running an easy 2 miles. Not with me. If I lose forcing the pace all the way, well, at least I can live with myself."

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift."

"Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."

"A race is a work of art that people can look at and be affected in as many ways they’re capable of understanding."

"You have to wonder at times what you're doing out there. Over the years, I've given myself a thousand reasons to keep running, but it always comes back to where it started. It comes down to self-satisfaction and a sense of achievement."

Lamar Green 02-14-2008 09:14 AM

"Set goals - high goals for you and your organization. When your organization has a goal to shoot for, you create teamwork, people working for a common good."

"I'll put you through hell, but at the end of it all we'll be champions."

And my favorite of all time...

"Never quit. It is the easiest cop-out in the world. Set a goal and don't quit until you attain it. When you do attain it, set another goal, and don't quit until you reach it. Never quit."

All from Bear Bryant. had to be the greatest coach of all time. At least if you're a Bama fan. Roll Tide!:notworth:

Brandon Oto 02-14-2008 09:19 AM

Nice idea, Adam. Let's try and keep this on the direct theme; it's a cool genre and there are other threads for more general quotes.

"Can you feel how empty and hollow your days are, how devoid of meaning? Have you forgotten what it’s like to really live a day that fulfills you deeply as a human being?" -- Mark Twight

"It is astonishing," says Dr. Theodore Cuyler, "how many men lack this power of 'holding on' until they reach the goal. They can make a sudden dash, but they lack grit. They are easily discouraged. They get on as long as everything goes smoothly, but when there is friction they lose heart. They depend on stronger personalities for their spirit and strength. They lack independence or originality. They only dare to do what others do. They do not step boldly from the crowd and act fearlessly." -- Orison Swett Marden, Iron Will (this whole book is pretty much a collection of quotes like this, and much of Marden's other work is too) (and link is w/f/s, too)

Darren Zega 02-14-2008 09:34 AM

My personal favorite:

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
-Theodore Roosevelt

Bob Guere 02-14-2008 09:46 AM

For all you affiliates and coaches:

"The greatest achievement a teacher can obtain is to be bested by his student." - unknown

Celio Silva 02-14-2008 10:06 AM

"Whatever is worth doing is worth doing well"

One of my favorites and it's posted in my garage's wall in big bold letters.

Bill Sullivan 02-14-2008 10:43 AM

I am in earnest;
I will not equivocate;
I will not excuse;
I will not retreat a single inch:
and I will be heard.
-- William Lloyd Garrison

I would rather be ashes than dust!
I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dryrot.
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist.
I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them.
I shall use my time.
-- Jack London

Chris Drewry 02-14-2008 11:22 AM

Arnold said a few choice ones that probably are not appropriate for this forum.