CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Vegan Paleo (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=58398)

Katherine Derbyshire 05-24-2010 12:05 PM

Re: Vegan Paleo

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassie Savage (Post 788125)
I actually have, but then again I really love brussel sprouts. It's not uncommon for me to eat an entire steamfresh bag of them at once. I see your point though.

An entire 12 oz bag of brussels sprouts is still less than 3 cups, too.

Katherine

Steven Chicoine 05-24-2010 12:11 PM

You surely can do crossfit on a paleo-vegan diet. It won't be optimal, but if you don't care about that then go for it.

Get in plenty of nuts/seeds/avocados/coconuts. One concern I would have is Omega 3 to 6 ratio of the diet. It is hard to get Omega 3's in a good ratio to 6's on this kind of diet. If there is anyway you could stomach the idea of fish-oil I would say supplement, but if not I would do some deep research about other ways to get in your Omega 3's.

Shane Skowron 05-24-2010 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Chicoine (Post 788138)
You surely can do crossfit on a paleo-vegan diet. It won't be optimal, but if you don't care about that then go for it.

Get in plenty of nuts/seeds/avocados/coconuts. One concern I would have is Omega 3 to 6 ratio of the diet. It is hard to get Omega 3's in a good ratio to 6's on this kind of diet. If there is anyway you could stomach the idea of fish-oil I would say supplement, but if not I would do some deep research about other ways to get in your Omega 3's.

How does that suggestion deal with the protein issue?

Steven Chicoine 05-24-2010 01:01 PM

Enough nuts and seeds will provide her with a decent amount of protein. Like I said at the beginning of my post it won't be optimal but it is doable.

Kevin Burns 05-24-2010 01:21 PM

Sort of off topic but articles like this make me nuts.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chris-..._b_578253.html - WFS

Diabetes and heart disease are out of control due to this absurd fear of saturated fat.

Craig Rogers 05-24-2010 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire (Post 788115)
FWIW, many pro-vegan arguments begin by claiming that people don't actually need very much protein. Obviously, the less you need, the easier it is to get sufficient quantities from vegan sources. Equally obviously, there isn't much point in arguing with someone who holds that belief.

Katherine

That is correct. Unless you are working out every day and being active you do not need that much protein.
Most Americans spend 8 hours sitting at work and then spend the rest of the evening sitting at home on the couch. People posting on the boards have a much higher need for protein.

David Meverden 05-25-2010 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire (Post 788115)
To the OP, I would just say that diet is critical to performance. Inadequate diet can and will undermine everything you're working for in the gym. Which is not to say that you're on the wrong path, just that you've chosen a very difficult route, and will need to pay very close attention to make sure you aren't digging yourself a nutritional hole.

Katherine

I second this an most helpful post. A vegan diet will not be an easy one for supporting hard training, but sometimes there are more important things in life than workout recovery.

Telling the OP that she HAS to swap around her moral code and go kill things just so her workout recovery is better is silly and unhelpful. We all make tradeoffs in the working out department for things that are important to us, and this is the one that she has chosen. I only hope that she hasn't been too put off by the responses she received. I still want her to be part of this community.

Jeremy Galo 05-25-2010 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Meverden (Post 788355)
Telling the OP that she HAS to swap around her moral code and go kill things just so her workout recovery is better is silly and unhelpful.

It's not JUST about workout recovery. I just finished reading the Vegetarian Myth and have been reading a up a lot on the accessory articles/authors mentioned in the book. If you've read the book, you'd understand it's about overall health and wellness too... not just about how much it will help her lift heavy $#!+.

Just my $0.02. To Jennifer, I hope you at least read the book and see what it has to say. If you still choose a paleo-vegan liftestyle, then by all means I'll cheer you on. But I hope you at least give the book a chance. It really is a fantastic read.

-Jeremy

David Meverden 05-25-2010 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy Galo (Post 788361)
It's not JUST about workout recovery. I just finished reading the Vegetarian Myth and have been reading a up a lot on the accessory articles/authors mentioned in the book. If you've read the book, you'd understand it's about overall health and wellness too... not just about how much it will help her lift heavy $#!+.

Don't forget to check out both sides of the argument. The Vegetarian Myth and it's associated authors are well and good but they have an agenda, just like everyone else. I think before you start making statements about how vegetarianism is necessarily damaging to health and wellness you should also check out the articles in favor of vegetarianism, or perhaps a book like "The Case for Vegetarianism".

I, personally, am confident that vegetarian, vegan, or omnivorous diets can all be extremely healthful if executed well, though not all will be idea for all goals.

Darryl Shaw 05-25-2010 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Burns (Post 788032)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw (Post 787928)
The archeological record shows that paleo-man ate both grains and legumes.

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/20...ibusiness.html

Archeological evidence shows that grains have been part of the human diet for over 100,000 years.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-ets121409.php (wfs)