CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   2014 45-49 Fittest on the Planet goal (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=75104)

Victor J McQuaide 02-29-2016 09:56 AM

Re: 2014 45-49 Fittest on the Planet goal

Thursday.. Meditate and pray 30 min prior to the announcement. Was ready for anything. Well I got anything. Usually the long met cons meet my cup of tea. Since I have not been really taxing myself on a regular basis.. this is going to be interesting. Went in Thursday to work on mobility and test the walking oh lunge. Should have done it that night. The bar was light and had to look at it again to see if it was the girls bar. Did a few runs with 45-95# , oh squats with the dumbbells. Some rowing.

Friday night sleep.. was ok. Woke up with a small cramp developing. Should have drowned my system with water.

Seriously stretched and mobilized all day. Arrived at the gym 4PM limber as can be.

Worked on some more mobility, short row, then on with picking up the bar. Well was heavy. But moved on mentally.

Did some oh walking lunges, some economy burpees. Hit the best and easiest 3 reps c2b. I was ready to go. Enter the small dance during the countdown.

Off and to the work rounds 1-5 well they were good. Enter round 6.. developed this cramp/lockout that stopped and zapped my energy and mental focus. Sadly the wheels got stopped in the mud. Even the push up from the burpee was getting hard. C2b went from penthouse to outhouse.

I just tried to stay in and fight. I can say that I did my best. 9 rounds plus 4.

My coach Ricky was a little quite.. but he thought I had a keeper. My other coach Dawn Fletcher was jazzed. She said I listened to the cues and followed the plan.

I was mapping out space to hit 11 rounds or higher. Well not this day. Then watched others hit the floor in pain. I walked around for a couple of min. Reflecting on the effort. Was a good effort. Was a hard workout especially because I have not done really any long crossfit workouts in months.

Hope for a good workout this week. But will plan for what ever they throw at me.

Victor J McQuaide 02-29-2016 10:05 AM

Sat.. was not that sore. Was thinking maybe a re do on Monday.. then my thoughts were not going to get much better if not the same. Eject those thoughts. Enter the thoughts of I should have pushed harder in the last min to get those last few reps.. Eject.. I was on Redline. Enter the thoughts that I am just going to enjoy todays workout.

Did some ohs dumbbells to open the shoulders, then some other warm up stretches. Did a bunch of floss and stretch over the past 18 hours. Trying to heal and recoup.

Clean and jerk +5 each week. Was 215, then 220 not goal was 225# this week. Warmed up felt good. Back was feeling good, squat clean can cause some discomfort but I have to get ready for a max if need be. Just working up to my max pr of 252#. Got the 225#

Then did some squats- 135-285# have not gone that heavy in months. Glad to see the back is holding up today. Felt ok.

4 rounds of:
1st min 200 meter run
2nd min 15 cal row
3rd min- 7 pc 135# and 30 dubs..

Wow that was a hard one.

Stretching after and some floss. Had a birthday party to get to at my house.
Happy birthday Dad 73 years old. Was a good time.

More stretching and floss all night.

Sunday- woke up sore as can be in some areas.

Went to the gym and did stretch, floss and rowing.

6 efforts 300 meters- starting off at 2:00 pace ending up at 1:30 pace.

Watched some people leave it all on the mats doing 16.1.

I am happy with my 1 and done.

Victor J McQuaide 03-01-2016 09:58 AM

Monday- stretch, floss, mobility-
ghd, ohs with db..
5 ghd
5 t2b
10/10
15/15
20/20.. that is a very hard combo

Barbell cycling- All 10 reps- 75,95,115,135,155,165

2 round for time just to get the heart beat up-
25 cal row
25 wall balls
30 dubs.. 4:59 or so all un broken.

Bench- 95-225x5 reps..

Stretch when I got home after a meeting.

Jason A Smith 03-01-2016 12:04 PM

Great job to start Vic, one and done is best. Looks like a solid start to the Open for you as well.

Anyone I talked to said this one was brutal.

As i said on Scott's log it is so cool you guys have kept up here.

Best of luck the rest of the way, rooting for you guys.

Victor J McQuaide 03-02-2016 02:36 PM

Thank you Jason.. means a lot.

Tuesday- all things catching up-

Stretch, floss and more mobile.

Ohs db 8#-25#

behind the neck press 45#
Snatch balance- 45-210# felt good to do real sb.

Muscle up check in.. not the best day- 1,2,3,4
each min

Metcon- 10 min amrap
15 #95 thrusters
15 cal row
15 box jumps
3 rounds plus 30 reps

EMOM 8
1st min- 12 pistols alternation
2nd min- 5 strict pull ups wide grip, 5 strict ring dips

DL- 185-345 clean grip

45 min stretching afterwards.

Really happy about my shoulders opening up. Made for some rest at the top of the thrusters. Usually its all that I can do just to put my head thru for the rep. Now I can get it thru and actually relax for a nano second at the top.

Progress.

Alex Burden 03-03-2016 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason A Smith (Post 1261012)
Great job to start Vic, one and done is best. Looks like a solid start to the Open for you as well.

Anyone I talked to said this one was brutal.

As i said on Scott's log it is so cool you guys have kept up here.

Best of luck the rest of the way, rooting for you guys.

Can only agree with Jason on this one..... due to the fact that you and Scott are active on this forum is a big thumbs up and of course we are rooting for you both.

Victor J McQuaide 03-03-2016 10:00 AM

I love this site. You can go back into any time and find what you were doing.

Wed.. back is a little out.. spent about 90 min stretching yesterday.

OHS dumbbell's 5-35# getting stronger for sure.

TGU's 25-70#

Air AB- 10 cal sprints every min for 7 min with 5 cal in-between cool down.

More stretching when I got home.

Meditation 30 min prior to the announcement. That way I am ready for anything that they bring up. We know nothing about the workout except 2 guys are doing it in a garage.

If its a repeat I have the opportunity to better my previous score. New movement I have the chance to test my training. Weather its a wheelhouse workout or a oh S@#t workout I will put myself in the position to do my best.

Great job everyone.

Scott Jenkins 03-03-2016 10:01 AM

Did you notice the Australian is missing this year?

Victor J McQuaide 03-03-2016 10:55 AM

Yes Swift is out.. Castro said that also Matt said he was retiring last year after he won… what a way to go out.

2014 Champ Jerry Hill and 2nd place Jeff Tincher are also out according to the leader board. Karl D also said he was not going to do it but he posted a great 16.1. Big Ron Ortiz and Scott Del Torre aged up to the 50's.

Have about 5 new past games people from the 40's this year. So will be tough again to make it.

Best of luck to us Scott.. we need it.

Victor J McQuaide 03-07-2016 09:56 AM

Thursday- bunch of yoga and mobility. My back was feeling a bit out of sorts. Meditated about the workout and came up with a plan for Friday.

Friday warm ups run, row, cleans up to 225# felt good. T2b felt good. Dubs were good.

Plan was to go as fast a possible to have more time with the 225.

R1- 25 un broken t2b
50 un broken dubs
15 squat cleans singles moving well.
2:45

R2- 15/4/3/1/1/1 or so
50 un broken dubs
13 185# squat cleans- moved fine.. finished in about 3:30 for the round.

So had over a min in reserve for R3.. enter the toes to bar debacle. I don't usually push so hard. Not giving myself a chance to recover.. plus yoga and mobile work doesn't prepare you for a R3 like this.

R3- 10/2 and singles skate from that point on. I lost my wits about me and caved to the people and coaches. I should have done it Vic McQuaide style and hit the t2b with some rest. Singles wear me out and I know that but with zero rest or very little I had a hard time and surrendered to the singles.

Took forever.. might have lost 45 seconds of that lead I built. Enter dubs.. usually I am find for this.. legs super heavy.. 25,10,15.. try to get my air back.

Had 2 min when I planned for 3. I was on the rivet for no reason besides not doing multi training with heavy weights such as squat clean.

First attempt.. no go.. second attempt.. no go.. got 3 and 4..

I learned that I have to finesse the workout. Squat cleans was going to be my goat for sure. Since Jan have not really done more than a hand full.

Goal is to get thru the open 1 and done no exceptions. If I were going to do the workout again I would break up the t2b from the start. My fitness is not where I would like it to be. So if I can stay in the top 30 after week 2 that is a victory.

I am sure that they will give me 1 workout that is good for me and my present fitness level.

After the open I ramp up the volume and weights getting ready for the master qual. Usually the masters qual is more comprehensive allowing my skills to kick in. History says that I will move up from my open score. 2014 19th to 8th and 2015 14th to 6th.

The good news is that my back is doing fine. Happy about that.

On with the training for the rest of the open.