CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Jason's Workout Log (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=48280)

Jordan Derksen 01-11-2014 04:27 PM

Re: Jason's Workout Log

Look at that snatch go!! And the shoulder wasn't even acting up hey? I've made so much progress in my form since joining the Pendlay forum. I'm glad it's working out for you now too.

Jason A Smith 01-12-2014 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan Derksen (Post 1213971)
Look at that snatch go!! And the shoulder wasn't even acting up hey? I've made so much progress in my form since joining the Pendlay forum. I'm glad it's working out for you now too.

Yep, it is coming along. No problems with my shoulder. All the tempo OHS and TGU seemed to have built up a good base to help out in the bottom position. Catching with a good position helps a bunch too. Now to keep my butt from coming up so fast in the first pull !

Still nursing some nagging bumps and bruises. My calf is still sore.

This was supposed to be Saturday's but I did it before starting Sunday, ran out of time and had company over the weekend
Power Snatch, 1 rep @ 145lb per min x 15 mins - completed, went pretty well, no misses. Worked on keeping my butt down
+
AMRAP Squat Clean @ 225lb in 10 mins - 16 reps last time - skipped this one. Didn't want to aggravate my nagging injuries.

Sunday - OHS int + MAP (5/5+)
10 min @ 90%/high effort:
8 thrusters @ 95lbs
8 chin-ups
8 lateral barbell burpees
6 rounds + chin ups
--10 min rest
10 min @ 90%/high effort:
250m Row
15 Deadlift @ 185lbs
4 rounds + 250m row

I went out a little fast on the first one at about 1:15/round for the first three rounds. It slowed a little after that more like 1:30. All but one set of thrusters UB. Second part strained my left leg again on the deadlifts.

Jason A Smith 01-14-2014 12:25 PM

So, I did some investigating on the internet and it looks like I have a strained soleus. Which is good news, but also not good news.

Right now the plan is to rest it until Friday and then try and resume training.

Apparently these can linger on for some time, which I realy don't want too badly.

I am still entered for Frostfit as well and would like to go and compete but won't do it if it means further injury.

Jordan Derksen 01-15-2014 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason A Smith (Post 1214429)
So, I did some investigating on the internet and it looks like I have a strained soleus. Which is good news, but also not good news.

Right now the plan is to rest it until Friday and then try and resume training.

Apparently these can linger on for some time, which I realy don't want too badly.

I am still entered for Frostfit as well and would like to go and compete but won't do it if it means further injury.

Dude that sucks! Hopefully you're still well enough to compete at frostfit. I've been dealing with on and off wrist pain for a while. I've since really upgraded my warmups especially because the cold. Since I got my knee sleeves and started wrapping my wrists I've noticed a huge difference mostly because it keeps those joints really warm. Cold tendons don't work very well.

Jason A Smith 01-16-2014 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan Derksen (Post 1214719)
Dude that sucks! Hopefully you're still well enough to compete at frostfit. I've been dealing with on and off wrist pain for a while. I've since really upgraded my warmups especially because the cold. Since I got my knee sleeves and started wrapping my wrists I've noticed a huge difference mostly because it keeps those joints really warm. Cold tendons don't work very well.

Mine was just a function of too much jumping and not enough giving love to my worn out calves.

It feels much better this morning. Still a bit tight. The crummy part is that not only does it bother me to jump, but also doing anything OH, DL's, jerks etc. The only thing that doesn't seem to be a problem is squatting, snatching and the AD. Time off heals everything. Will see how I am doing tomorrow and whether I should train or not. If Frostfit doesn't happen it will not be a huge deal.

Jason A Smith 01-18-2014 08:02 PM

Well, I am feeling better so I made my way back to the gym to get back to it. Of course, mindful of balance and positioning all the while.

A. Front Squat @ 20X1, build to a tough set of 5 - 260# - which is a PR for 5
B. Pocket Squat Snatch. High Hang Squat Snatch, 1.1 @ moderately tough load per min x 10 mins - did 5 @ 120#, 5 @ 125# - these fet snappy tonight
C. Power Clean and Split Jerk, 1 rep per min x 10 mins - start @ 135lbs, add 5lbs per min - completed as push jerks. Hitting the split still is a bit to stretchy on my calf.
D. 15 touch n go power clean and push press @ 115lbs x 4 sets, 2-3 min b/t sets - completed. UB for set 1,2 & 4 set 3 went 10/3/2 - was really trying to work on being efficient with the bar, mostly because I am not.

Felt pretty good today. Nice to know a few days off didn't really bug me. I feel better now that I am done. Back to about 85%. Still a little stiff around my soleus, but didn't bug me at all during anything tonight. Was "stretching" while rowing (to warm up) but other than that good.

Still scheduled to compete next weekend. But no box jumps or DU's for me unless I have to do them.

Jason A Smith 01-19-2014 01:22 PM

Back at it today, still feeling pretty decent.

3 rounds @ high effort:
15 front squat @ 95lbs
15 gh sit-ups
100 du's (subbed 250m row)
7:14, I moved well on this one. Squats and sit ups UB and fast, held a good pace on the rower too.
+
rest as needed (about 15:00)
+
3 rounds @ high effort:
30 cals Airdyne
20 alternating db power snatch @ 65lbs
10 burpee ring muscle-ups
19:26, Slow and steady on the MUs which is what ate most of the time. Each round was about 6:00 (and a bit)

Good day, calf is feeling good. Improving.

Jason A Smith 01-22-2014 08:30 AM

1-20 was a rest day. I trained last night, posting today

A. Power Snatch, work to a moderate single - up to a pretty zippy rep at 155#, tried to do 160, didn't go anywhere. This was close to a PR and felt really easy.
B. Squat Clean, work to a moderate single - worked up on the minute to 235#, that felt good so left it there
C. Push Press, work to a moderate single - same thing here, worked up to a rep at 205# going on the minute
D. 3 sets ALL OUT - 90 sec time limit:
15-20 chest to bar
20 thruster @ 85lbs
airdyne max cals remaining time (subbed rowing)
7:30 min b/t sets
8 cals, 10 cals, 8 cals - had about 35s left each time to go. Did 15 C2B's each set and thrusters were all UB. I did not want to rip my hands.

All in all a good session. It was a late start. Finished up at about 9:45pm. Life of a guyu with kids and a job. Should find out some of the events for the comp this weekend today. Honestly I think I would prefer just showing up and finding out as we go.

Jason A Smith 01-23-2014 05:20 AM

Trained last night after work, busy evening after that didn't post

A. Back Squat @ 20X1, build to a tough set of 5 - only one tough set - 138 KG, up 3 from last time I did a tough five, and it was tough
B. 3 tough touch n go power clean per min x 10 mins - 80KG for 5, 83KG for 3, 85 KG for 2
C. 15 kbs - 24kg per min x 12 mins - completed, broke on last set 12/3, my forearms were on fire

They started announcing events for the weekend. So far with two announced I should be ok. The first event is a snatch/OHSX3 ladder, the second event is skills. L-sit, weighted pistol and max DUs. 3 minutes at each station. Should be a good start to the weekend.

Milton Brisson 01-23-2014 11:03 PM

Hey man. I keep looking in, just not a lot of timenfor innernets these days so I don't post much.

Keep up the great work though!