CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!! (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=40939)

Alicia Sloan 03-22-2009 03:55 PM

Re: No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!

Can I ask for some advice on my (beginner) Paleo diet? I'm having a lot of trouble figuring this out. I'll be back shortly to work on my boyfriend's diet too! He's still figuring out the "numbers". I'm 24, about 5'4/5'5, 118/119lbs. Just wanting to maintain (or gain, doesn't matter as long as its muscle) that weight and build muscle.

Breakfast @ 0830
~ 1 plain green tea, 1 small orange, 3 eggs, 4 oz smoked salmon

Homework time @ 1000
~ 2 coffees (I know, this needs to be worked out!)

Lunch @ 1300
~ 1 leek, 2 cups mushrooms, 5-6oz mixed seafood (squid, mussels, octopus, yup!)

Snack @ 1530 after running with the puppy at the dog park for an hour
~ 1 cup almond milk, about 4-7 nuts (mixed almond and walnuts)

**WOD (prescribed cardio and scaled weights)

Dinner later @ 1800
~ pieces of homemade tandoori chicken (whole chicken baked with spices, probably a breast and leg), I'll throw in steamed carrots/celery/mushrooms

Snack @ 2000
~ 1/2 cup organic applesauce with some cinnamon

Brett Dartt 03-22-2009 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amber Mathwig (Post 547748)
Brett - I am so happy to not be around Easter candy right now.

Jay - No.

Joe - I only get what I want, then I leave the chow hall. Keeps me from going back for more. Especially when its MIDRATS.

Going to sleep soon, no desserts today. RIB night and bananas, great day.

ugghh i managed to stay away from the cadbury eggs and reeses eggs and even the icing today but i did get a brownie. but 3 months ago it would have been four brownies.

god i want cadbury eggs

Renee Lee 03-22-2009 09:51 PM

birthday dinner at my aunt's house tonight

menu:
chicken cutlets, mac and cheese, broccoli and salad. (and cake/ice cream afterwards)

my plate held at least 2 broccoli crowns, one piece of chicken (~4.5 blocks worth), salad and a (literal) forkful of mac.

no cake and ice cream, even with the cake taunting me for about 20min in front of me AND with many familial attempts at sabotage. day 2 of near perfect zoning down in the books!

Michael Ricketts 03-22-2009 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Cohen (Post 547464)
You really need to think about what your next day eating is going to be like, THE NIGHT BEFORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know why it never occured to me before, but, last night I made a menu for myself consisting of everything I was going to eat today. It has made sticking to the "plan" a ton easier. Thanks Jay! As always, you rock!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renee Lee (Post 548022)
birthday dinner at my aunt's house tonight

menu:
chicken cutlets, mac and cheese, broccoli and salad. (and cake/ice cream afterwards)

my plate held at least 2 broccoli crowns, one piece of chicken (~4.5 blocks worth), salad and a (literal) forkful of mac.

no cake and ice cream, even with the cake taunting me for about 20min in front of me AND with many familial attempts at sabotage. day 2 of near perfect zoning down in the books!

Awesome work Renee! My wife's birthday is next week and I will face similar challenges. I hope I can be as tough as you were!

Jay Cohen 03-23-2009 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Ricketts (Post 548044)
I don't know why it never occured to me before, but, last night I made a menu for myself consisting of everything I was going to eat today. It has made sticking to the "plan" a ton easier. Thanks Jay! As always, you rock!

Michael;

I can't tell you how many times I used to get "caught" either without food, or in some situation having to eat crap. Always my fault, as I didn't plan.

So many people taking eating for granted and will eat what ever or where ever, I elect not too.

I don't have to eat 6 meals a day, in fact, I "IF" till lunch, normally have a big lunch, big dinner, call it a day.

Food is fuel, very few people let their cars run out of gas, but ask people what they're having for their next meal, they're clueless.

Chow On.

Gus Gallagher 03-23-2009 03:15 AM

planning is key

i always have a back up plan stashed in my drawer at work as well... nuts, cans of tuna, jerky

been trying to work out food sources near my work that i can go to on the occasion i forget - there's surprisingly few! all the restaurants or cafes involve bread or noodles or rice - the local supermarket is all right, but even today i bought a packet of sliced turkey breast and it had a list of ingredients... a LIST, it's turkey for chrissake! and heaps of bad polysyllabic (is that a word?) numbered evil chemical things. their biltong has msg in it, half the cans of tuna are full of sugary sauce

lol, apologies for the rant!

Amber Mathwig 03-23-2009 03:30 AM

I will not eat desserts today.

But PMS is kicking me hard today, so we'll see how this week goes.

Mat Frankel 03-23-2009 06:47 AM

"Everyone wants to go to Heaven, No one wants to Die."

That is an awesome quote Jay.

Planning out meals is the best and easiest way to make sure that you stick to your diet. I like the idea of taking out the choice. I prepare my days food the night before and I have my meals that I can choose for lunch and snacks but it eliminates the "where are we going for lunch and what am I going to get whem I'm seeing everyone with pizza/subs/all that junk." And your right, a lot of people say wow looks good, or man thats healthy i think i should take some notes.

Back on track this week for me. Long weekend with not so friendly foods but it happens. Time to get after it this week.

Amber Mathwig 03-23-2009 07:13 AM

Alicia - :welcome: Your one day sample looks pretty good. I would only suggest more protein (especially at the snacks) if you are trying to build more muscle. How nice to see a female who wants to gain weight! Yay!

Brett/Renee - awesome job on the resistance!

Jay - I've found I'm happier with one large meal and a couple small snacks also. I think it'll be a lot more convenient also for the busy life I'm anticipating in Virginia.

Gus - rant away!

Mat - back on track, good job!

Nelson A Mitchell 03-23-2009 07:26 AM

Hey yall, i have been a daily follower of the board, but this is my first post. I would like to thank yall for helping me out, i have doing crossfit for about a year and a half( no affiliate, just me and a couple of guys who do it at the school gym) This year i finally decided to give up the grains/sugar. It was never anything about sweets(unless its cheesecake) but bread and pasta. reading this thread,along with many others, have helped me overhall my diet and tap into my full potential.