CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   5/3/1 without bench (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=69972)

Bradley Groom 09-03-2011 12:03 AM

5/3/1 without bench

I'm starting a 5/3/1 cycle + metcons and I'm wondering how important is it I include bench press?
Should I just drop it altogether or substitute it with something? Ring dips etc?

Dave Traeger 09-03-2011 02:14 AM

Re: 5/3/1 without bench

The program as written did very well for jim wendler and those who had followed it. in saying that, it really depends on what your goals are. Is there something else you're aiming for or your just dont have a bench?

At the affiliate I belong to, we're following wendler with power cleans in place of bench press. Only one cycle into it so cant say how its working but I do like it so far.

Brendan McNamar 09-03-2011 08:06 AM

You should bench.

I'm not sure where CrossFit's anti benching attitude came from but benching has helped me a lot to develop upper body strength. We bench at my gym.

Robert Fabsik 09-03-2011 08:15 AM

How would you sub ring dips for a 5/3/1 exercise? I think it would be tough to do the various percentages unless you have a monster weighted ring dip.

I agree with the others, unless there is a health or equipment issue, get benching.

Eric Montgomery 09-03-2011 08:36 AM

If you want stronger and thicker chest, tricep, and shoulder muscles, you should bench. Dips and ring dips are ok as an assistance exercise or to build up weak triceps, but that makes them a supplement and not a replacement for benching.

Michael Ingley 09-03-2011 08:50 AM

unless you have shoulder problems aggravated by bench, I wouldn't drop it. It's a great exercise and has a lot more carryover than you think to other upper body endeavors

Aaron Gainer 09-03-2011 10:25 AM

Why not push press instead of bench? A stronger push press will give you decent bench press strength without even benching!!!

Paul Coomans 09-03-2011 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Gainer (Post 981816)
Why not push press instead of bench? A stronger push press will give you decent bench press strength without even benching!!!

I'm very curious as to why you recommend a push press? A strict press seems like a more decent substitute, even though ideally you should press in both the vertical and horizontal plane. I don't see the logic behind adding leg drive to the lift.

Jonathan Vechet 09-03-2011 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Gainer (Post 981816)

Wendler says one could substitute the push press for the press but makes no mention of using it to substitute the bench. There's probably a reason for that.

Pearse Shields 09-03-2011 06:11 PM

I also am confused about why you want to abandon the bench. I realise that CF is anti-bodybuilding, and that benching is the king of exercises for most bros in the gym, but it is still a great exercise.