CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   CrossPit (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Am I the Only One? (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=59647)

Morgan McGaha 07-14-2010 01:51 PM

Am I the Only One?

Am I the only one who is getting sick and tired of the MMA craze? Im not bashing MMA, but I am bashing all the newbies that have hopped on the band wagon. There is absolutely nothing wrong with MMA. But what is ****ing me off to no end is the fact that people, who have little to no martial arts background, bash every other martial art that is non-bjj,mma, or muay thai. This is the worst at college, where every bro thinks he is a martial arts expert.

Ive done a vast majority of martial arts, earning my 3rd degre black belt in shotokan, had Dana White as my boxing coach as a kid (before he became Pres. of UFC), did mma for about a year (got pricey), trained with NBL national champs and currently do krav maga. I feel that I have an adequate background to judge what works and what doesnt. Every martial art is effective in its own right. These pricks dont know their @zzhole from their elbow.

Ive had people tell me that my martial art is not effective because its not mma, and that no martial art is effective because its not mma. Im sorry? What do YOU know about martial arts, besides watching UFC 101 and taking two classes? Ive done this for damn near all my life, pal.

People need to realize that MMA is a SPORT. If you try to compare MMA to Kali, Krav Maga, Wushu, or Kempo, you're an idiot. They are all vastly different and have their own niche, which is why they were developed in the first place.

This mentality needs to die.

Craig Rogers 07-17-2010 10:32 AM

Re: Am I the Only One?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morgan McGaha (Post 811023)
Am I the only one who is getting sick and tired of the MMA craze? Im not bashing MMA, but I am bashing all the newbies that have hopped on the band wagon. There is absolutely nothing wrong with MMA. But what is ****ing me off to no end is the fact that people, who have little to no martial arts background, bash every other martial art that is non-bjj,mma, or muay thai. This is the worst at college, where every bro thinks he is a martial arts expert.

Ive done a vast majority of martial arts, earning my 3rd degre black belt in shotokan, had Dana White as my boxing coach as a kid (before he became Pres. of UFC), did mma for about a year (got pricey), trained with NBL national champs and currently do krav maga. I feel that I have an adequate background to judge what works and what doesnt. Every martial art is effective in its own right. These pricks dont know their @zzhole from their elbow.

Ive had people tell me that my martial art is not effective because its not mma, and that no martial art is effective because its not mma. Im sorry? What do YOU know about martial arts, besides watching UFC 101 and taking two classes? Ive done this for damn near all my life, pal.

People need to realize that MMA is a SPORT. If you try to compare MMA to Kali, Krav Maga, Wushu, or Kempo, you're an idiot. They are all vastly different and have their own niche, which is why they were developed in the first place.

Really that just means the sport has made it. It is now just like any other sport. Does the phrase 'armchair QB' mean anything?
Come to my office lunchroom some Monday and hear what offensive formation, or what 9th inning pitch and now what arm lock or choke some desk jockey would have used at some point in a matchup.
A good sign that something has hit mainstream is when everybody knows everything about it.

Andrew Schechterly 07-17-2010 11:40 AM

It's the same thing as people who love baseball and hate on all the players for not playing well. The fans couldn't physically play a full game nor could they hit any pitch that any pitcher threw at them. That's just what sports fans do.

I watch some fights on Saturdays when my friends order them. I admittedly don't know anything about any type of martial art but I also don't talk smack on any of them. I do, however, talk smack on the fighters, based solely on how the present themselves. If they are a-holes, I make fun of them... if they conduct themselves with respect and sportsman-like conduct, that's awesome.

I respect your right to vent but I don't think you should worry too much about it. It's just like you said, the people who are trashing it don't know anything about it. Challenge them to a fight if you want to prove the efficacy of your training. Or bite your tongue and walk away.

John Stone 07-17-2010 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morgan McGaha (Post 811023)

I don't know about all that. Modern MMA (eg UFC) is essentially today's proving grounds for martial arts. Shotokan, Kempo, wrestling, BJJ, MT, Euro-style KB, Sambo, boxing and other forms have all been "proven" so they get the most notice from fans, casual through hardcore.

The mentality some fans adopt -- if it hasn't already been proven, it is worthless -- is just a lack of education.

About the only thing that has been "proven" by MMA, definitively, is that in most weight classes it is best to know multiple styles so that you are dangerous both standing and on the ground.

David McGlame 07-18-2010 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Stone (Post 812504)
I don't know about all that. Modern MMA (eg UFC) is essentially today's proving grounds for martial arts. Shotokan, Kempo, wrestling, BJJ, MT, Euro-style KB, Sambo, boxing and other forms have all been "proven" so they get the most notice from fans, casual through hardcore.

The mentality some fans adopt -- if it hasn't already been proven, it is worthless -- is just a lack of education.

About the only thing that has been "proven" by MMA, definitively, is that in most weight classes it is best to know multiple styles so that you are dangerous both standing and on the ground.

Can you kick people in the nuts, eye gouge, fish hook, throat strike in MMA? No you can't. I'm not saying MMA doesn't have it's value in tersting the martial arts. But it's not a realistic test of the self denfense/combative value of MA's.

Jamie J. Skibicki 07-18-2010 11:54 AM

THe number of crappy traditional martial artists compared to good ones is significantly higher. WHen I see 13 year olds with black belts, see classes where no one gets hit full force, techinques aren't applied at nearly full force, then yes, I think those schools suck. ANd there are more of those than there are good ones.

Look at what the competitions of traditional martial arts are. Kata competitions, which are more dance than martial and point fighting. Even judo competitions have changes the rules to make sure you must you judo techniques instead of finding out who the best person within a certain framework is.

"Can you kick people in the nuts, eye gouge, fish hook, throat strike in MMA?"

How many martial arts schools have full contact sparring, let alone the things you mentioned?

Matthew Apostol 07-18-2010 01:16 PM

I was hoping everyone would just ignore this thread.

Andrew Schechterly 07-18-2010 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Apostol (Post 812670)
I was hoping everyone would just ignore this thread.

Ignore something on a forum? There's always points to be argued, my friend.

Morgan McGaha 07-18-2010 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David McGlame (Post 812568)
Can you kick people in the nuts, eye gouge, fish hook, throat strike in MMA? No you can't. I'm not saying MMA doesn't have it's value in tersting the martial arts. But it's not a realistic test of the self denfense/combative value of MA's.

Exactly my point. The mma trolls tout it to be the be-all-end all of martial arts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki (Post 812632)
THe number of crappy traditional martial artists compared to good ones is significantly higher. WHen I see 13 year olds with black belts, see classes where no one gets hit full force, techinques aren't applied at nearly full force, then yes, I think those schools suck. ANd there are more of those than there are good ones.

Look at what the competitions of traditional martial arts are. Kata competitions, which are more dance than martial and point fighting. Even judo competitions have changes the rules to make sure you must you judo techniques instead of finding out who the best person within a certain framework is.

"Can you kick people in the nuts, eye gouge, fish hook, throat strike in MMA?"

How many martial arts schools have full contact sparring, let alone the things you mentioned?

I think you have a skewed view of what martial arts is. Kata's are not "dances". Nor are they taught to make you a better fighter. You learn kata's to learn self discipline. Im sure anyone else here who has spent a crapload of hours memorizing and perfecting a kata can tell you that too.

As for the nut kicking, eye gouging, etc, of course you cant do that stuff when you spar. You can only train in a capacity that simulates it. Its like when cops do active shooter training. They can only simulate the scenario as closely as possible to the real thing.

Doug Blankenship 07-18-2010 05:12 PM

You must be one of a select few that would actually give a crap about people acting like they know more than they due about a sport. Happens all the time, I don't see why it's any different with mma, or, why you would be bothered by it.