CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Jason's Workout Log (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=48280)

Jason A Smith 12-11-2011 09:57 PM

Re: Jason's Workout Log
 
Did the OPT event today. A little rushed but done regardless

1. 170 lb/77.3 kg snatch (PR) + 26 C2B pull ups
2. 6:18, got all tangled up on my first set of dips, really slowed me down
3. row 20:47 + 51 burpees

All in all a pretty decent effort, really happy to hit a BW snatch. I could have definitely gone faster on "Liz", and was hoping for 70+ burpees, just never really got faster. Onward.

Milton Brisson 12-12-2011 10:10 AM

Re: Jason's Workout Log
 
Looks like you dd pretty well with the event Jason! I poked around the OPT website, but couldnt find a leaderboard....is there something like that? It would be cool to see how you stack up.

Great job again Jason!:highfive:

Jason A Smith 12-12-2011 10:45 AM

Re: Jason's Workout Log
 
Milt, there will be a leaderboard up. I am thinking I'll be near the bottom. I kind of tanked Part 2, I got all off balance trying to do ring dips off the start and it really screwed me up. I think I will try it again this week to see if I can't do a whole lot better. There were some guys under 2 mins !:yikes:

Thanks, I had a great time doing it and am learning a lot about myself. I really need to focus on pushing myself metnally the next couple of months leading up to the next on-line challenge and to Frosfit and finally Sectionals. That will be my focus from now until Xmas is just pushing past some mental barriers during a WOD. I know I will have to focus hard to fight through the pain but it will be worth it in the end.

Jason A Smith 12-13-2011 07:44 PM

Re: Jason's Workout Log
 
Well, today was supposed to be a recovery day full of swimming fun. I don;t have easy access to a pool or an Airdyne so I did something a little different.

Warmed up with a pretty easy 1000m row (3:50)

CFWU X 2 (working my ring dips !)

Spent about 20-30 min working on my mo false grip MU's. I was checking out Carl Paoli's progressions and decided to work them. I managed to get two sets of two. Pretty happy with that as using the false grip is hard on my wrists. I will keep working on these and the progressions and on the MU's like this, may com win handy somewhere. Back to regular programming tomorrow. Also like what I see from Jay, Kevin and Jordan on the Outlaw stuff. It looks good and may be worth a try in a bit.

Milton Brisson 12-14-2011 02:24 PM

Re: Jason's Workout Log
 
Its good to take it easy some days! You will hit regular programming that much stronger afterwards!

Are you feeling like your progress is starting to stall on OPT? Just wondering about the program switch....I am like that too, I always want to be trying something else!:D

I have been considering a program switch for somoe time, but just cant find anything that I like as much, or has the flexibility of CFFB.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Jason A Smith 12-14-2011 08:48 PM

Re: Jason's Workout Log
 
Oh no, no stalling on OPT, still really digging it. I just noticed that the Outlaw program has quite a bit of Oly lifting (which I need work on). I could also switch it up to the "Will" program, but don;t think I have that kind of time to do it. I will stay with this for a while yet. I remember Welbourn writing that you should stick with a program for a year before changing. He is big and scary so Ill take him at his word.

A. Back Squat VR @ 20X1; 12 sets of 2 @ 50-60%; rest 30 sec b/t sets - 215, no Varied Resistance
B. Back Squat - take up to tough single in no more than 4 sets - 275,305,325 done as singles right after A
C. Clean and Jerk - 60% 1RM x 4 TnG on the minute for 6 minutes - all at 135 felt good

Still feel like we're recovering, WOD was quick and good. Resting tomorrow.

Jordan Derksen 12-15-2011 10:42 AM

Re: Jason's Workout Log
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason A Smith (Post 1014181)
Oh no, no stalling on OPT, still really digging it. I just noticed that the Outlaw program has quite a bit of Oly lifting (which I need work on). I could also switch it up to the "Will" program, but don;t think I have that kind of time to do it. I will stay with this for a while yet. I remember Welbourn writing that you should stick with a program for a year before changing. He is big and scary so Ill take him at his word.

Ha ya I remember reading that when I was beginning my CFFB journey. 3 weeks later and I'm on outlaw now. Main reasons are I missed consistent Oly lifting and CFFB doesn't lend itself to classic metcons all the time. So I figured for preparing for frostfit or the open I'd want to get consistent work on MU, HSPU, and classic couplets and triplets. Welbournes awesome for what he programs for and the CFFB workouts were often nice and short (<1hr). The only thing I'm going to miss from his programming is bench pressing and sprinting; I was just starting to get decent at BP. I may work it in once a week though; it's a pretty straightforward lift and doesnt tax much. But ya... sticking with a program is key. I feel like this fall I've been a program whore. The constant resetting and changing definitely throws you off a little. But I also know what works for me and what I get excited about doing and outlaw lined up better with that so there's something to be said for the mental side of it.

Milton Brisson 12-15-2011 11:02 AM

Re: Jason's Workout Log
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason A Smith (Post 1014181)

...A. Back Squat VR @ 20X1; 12 sets of 2 @ 50-60%; rest 30 sec b/t sets - 215, no Varied Resistance
B. Back Squat - take up to tough single in no more than 4 sets - 275,305,325 done as singles right after A
C. Clean and Jerk - 60% 1RM x 4 TnG on the minute for 6 minutes - all at 135 felt good

Still feel like we're recovering, WOD was quick and good. Resting tomorrow.

Thats some sloid volume on the back squat there, Jason!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan Derksen (Post 1014360)
Ha ya I remember reading that when I was beginning my CFFB journey. 3 weeks later and I'm on outlaw now. Main reasons are I missed consistent Oly lifting and CFFB doesn't lend itself to classic metcons all the time. So I figured for preparing for frostfit or the open I'd want to get consistent work on MU, HSPU, and classic couplets and triplets. Welbournes awesome for what he programs for and the CFFB workouts were often nice and short (<1hr). The only thing I'm going to miss from his programming is bench pressing and sprinting; I was just starting to get decent at BP. I may work it in once a week though; it's a pretty straightforward lift and doesnt tax much. But ya... sticking with a program is key. I feel like this fall I've been a program whore. The constant resetting and changing definitely throws you off a little. But I also know what works for me and what I get excited about doing and outlaw lined up better with that so there's something to be said for the mental side of it.

I am not sure I agree with what tyou say about the metcon aspect of CFFB. You get a lot of short, heavy metcon work in there. I remember the Open from last year, all abut one of the WoDs was sub 15min, and light - if they follow a similar format this year CFFB could be a great program to prepare for it. I was at a box leading up to the Open last year, and they were always doing strength work in the 65-80% range, which really hurt my scores.

Also, I have found that, after doing CFFB for most of the last year, I have found where I can work in skills and extra O-lifts here and there.

Not trying to convince you either way - you know what they say, the best program is the one you stick with!

Thats my 2 cents - I am no expert by any means - I just do what the man in the box tells me!:D

Jordan Derksen 12-15-2011 02:26 PM

Re: Jason's Workout Log
 
Ha ya, I would mostly agree with you. The metcons he programs are really good but I find in the end they hit you a little differently. They teach you how to be really explosive, which is good, but what I found they lacked in was general skill practice and pure mental grit. They'll give you excellent GPP and they make your body good at recovering between bouts of exercise but they don't teach you mentally to go go go (IMO; perhaps if I stuck long enough to adapt that would have changed... actually it most likely would have). For example, Monday had 3 Box jumps then sprint 50m. That sounds awesome for making me crazy strong. But then rest 2 minutes b/w rounds. Obviously to maximize overall power output. But in a comp when I have to do a bunch of box jumps and power cleans or something suddenly I find myself wishing I had a minute to rest cause that's how I trained. Physically because I'm beastmode strong I can do it, but mentally I can't look at a workout in a comp and say 'oh ya I did one like that last week... totally killed it' and now my confidence is way up (the opposite could be argued; like you go to a comp and see a workout similar to one you did last week but it only has 135 power cleans and 20" box jumps and your like... seriously? That's not even my warmup). Don't hear me wrong, CFFB is a freakin wicked program, but to make it more applicable to competitive crossfitters you gotta tweak it to your needs I think. Rudy's stuff gave me the chance to not have to think about that at all which is what I need right now. I can just show up, lift, grunt, sweat, and go home.

So after all that for my non-answer... Jay and Kevin are doing it. Nothing like having some insano dudes to chase. I was a loner on the footballs.

Milton Brisson 12-15-2011 02:31 PM

Re: Jason's Workout Log
 
I see your points there! FB is great for the short sprints and rest type stuff. During rugby season last year I saw my performance increase the more CFFB I did.

But you're right, training for sports like rugby/football isnt the same as training for a CF comp.

We're both right! THat worked out well!!!:rofl:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.