CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Jason's Workout Log (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=48280)

Lucas King 07-16-2013 06:24 AM

Re: Jason's Workout Log

Are you going to be going to the BCBD? I got my ticket last night, but I hear there are a couple more left.

Jason A Smith 07-16-2013 06:49 AM

No Lucas. I will not be going. I had thought about signing up, but a few factors kind of played out against it. I am really focused on making Regionals so likely would have done zero lactate work heading into it. I have some holidays coming up so I only would have had about 3 weeks to prep. It is risky for me to get hurt, which I don't want. And I am pretty busy at work and the kids will be starting up school at the same time so we will b re adjusting with winter activities as well.

They put on a great event and a few guys I know are signed up, they are pretty boss as competitors as well so you will see a good showing from all of them.

Jason A Smith 07-16-2013 05:26 PM

Rest day yesterday. Back at it today

A. Snatch x 1 + Snatch Balance x 1 + Overhead Squat x 1; 7 sets; rest 120s
60,62,64FX3,60 - really frustrating, was hoping to work to 70 at least tonight.Instead I slightly tweaked my left shoulder :mad:
B1. Snatch Grip Deadlift to Knees, stand on 10# plates - perfect technique - 3 reps x 3 sets; rest 90s
* lift bar off floor so that it is 1" in the air (even with the 10# plates), pause for 3 seconds, lift slowly to knees position, pause for 3 seconds at knees, lower to 1" off floor = 1 rep....
* heavier than last week
80,85,90 kg, much better than last week
B2. Wide Grip Bench Press (based on level of comfort) - 5 reps x 3 sets; rest 90s
* choose a wider grip, but stay within the knurling.
70,73,76 kg, felt better as well
C. Double KB Goblet Squat (55/hand); 10 reps x 10 sets; EMOM
* the goal is unbroken reps
completed, used DBs instead as I only have one KB that size

Will have to work some mobility on my shoulders. Their tightness makes me upset and is my nemesis. Time for some ice and mobility.

Lucas King 07-16-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason A Smith (Post 1179030)
No Lucas. I will not be going. I had thought about signing up, but a few factors kind of played out against it. I am really focused on making Regionals so likely would have done zero lactate work heading into it. I have some holidays coming up so I only would have had about 3 weeks to prep. It is risky for me to get hurt, which I don't want. And I am pretty busy at work and the kids will be starting up school at the same time so we will b re adjusting with winter activities as well.

They put on a great event and a few guys I know are signed up, they are pretty boss as competitors as well so you will see a good showing from all of them.

Good call, I forgot about the previous injury and such. It should be good, Im looking forward to having something to base off of. It'll be fun to go against some of the top guys (hopefully haha) just gotta get my skills and conditioning down then make my comeback. :)

Jason A Smith 07-17-2013 04:56 PM

10 minutes @ 75%:
10 Toes Through Rings
150 Jump Rope
5 rounds+10+25
--5 min rest
10 minutes @ 75%:
20 Box Jumps - 24" - step down
200m Row
5 Rounds + 7
--5 min rest
10 minutes @ 75%:
30 Walking Lunges
30 cals AD
3 rounds + 30 lunges

Very steady, no breaks. Up to about 160 bpm towards the end. First interval was a bit flat.

Jason A Smith 07-19-2013 04:23 PM

Shoulders still feeling a little clunky yesterday, long day and week at work too so I called an audible and took the day off. Much better today.

A. Hang Clean from knees, build to a 3RM
* drop bar b/t reps, lift to "knees" position, pause for 1-2 seconds, then execute the lift
up to 97kg, 2 kg better than last week.
B1. Muscle-up, 3-5 reps x 4 sets; rest 60s - all 4's wisely did not go for 5 last two sets as i had planned. These felt really good. My kip is getting much better and consistent
B2. Weighted GHR, 6-8 reps x 4 sets; rest 60s - all 8's w/5#, these also felt better
B3. Split Shoulder Press, 5 reps x 4 sets; rest 60s - 45,47,49,51kg
C. Row 25s @ 97%; rest 2:35 x 4 sets - 142,143,142,142

Good session. Really happy with improving my clean, it is a lift I am comfortable with. Happy my shoulders held up through the muscle up portion.

Jordan Derksen 07-19-2013 04:49 PM

I just gotta say, I like how consistently you post and get work done. It's always good seeing your log on page one.

Keep it up buddy.

Jason A Smith 07-19-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan Derksen (Post 1179879)
I just gotta say, I like how consistently you post and get work done. It's always good seeing your log on page one.

Keep it up buddy.

Thanks, happily I am still progressing to a degree. This last year has been pretty up and down. Some steps forward some back.

Here is the link to my three hang cleans at 95kg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHvF_qEiW-o (wfs)

Any feedback is welcome.

Jason A Smith 07-20-2013 10:09 AM

Took a pile of time to get loosened up today to see what lifting would be like. Went ok.

A. 20 minutes to establish 1 RM Snatch - worked up to 135# and had some stability issues, shut it down
B. 20 minutes to establish 1 RM Clean & Jerk - again some stability issues and some impingement. Worked up to 85kg and stopped.
C. Back Squat, build to a heavy 3 - 135kg
D. Barbell Turkish Get-up, 3/side x 3 sets - I assumed these were with just the barbell so that is the way I did them.

I have a self diagnosed AC joint sprain, but will need to fight through all the senior citizens to see anyone to have a look at it. That is frustrating enough, let alone the fact that I felt I was finally getting ready to progress, but if this is anything like previously I will be out of lifting for at least a month. At least the third time this has happened. Needless to say it is getting old.

It is almost comical that two of the skills I need the most work on (jerks and snatches) have been the two movements I have had to avoid the most the past couple years. It would be nice to diagnose, treat, rehab and be able to train with some abandon at some point, not sure it will ever be in the cards.

Jason A Smith 07-21-2013 11:50 AM

Well, I was feeling sorry for myself yesterday, but I had enough of that and am going to continue to march forward and treat this as a bump in the road. Made the mistake last year of sort of throwing in the towel after making huge gains and it took a long time to get back. A focus on technique, proper mechanics and mobility and continuous improvement will go a long way. I have been so consistent for the past 6 months i cannot let anything let up now. Modified a little for my shoulder.

5 sets @ 90%:
30s AirDyne - all 16 cals
30s rest
30s Squat Clean, 95# - all 11 reps
30s rest
30s Double Unders - all 50 reps
30s rest
+
10:00 rest
+
5 sets @ 90%:
30s AirDyne @ 90% - finished with 88 cals total, avg 17.6 cals
30s rest
30s Overhead Squat, 45# - 15 for all
30s rest
30s Double Unders - 50/53/54/55/57
30s rest

Got a shoulder rehab protocol to work on from my coach, will be doing that and mobility steady as well as continue to train and do stuff that doesn't aggravate it while getting in to see my physiotherapist guys and see what is going on for sure. I need to commit to mobility and prehab going forward to ensure more progress. And bailing on any lifts that don't feel quite right in training. It just isn't worth it.