CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   CFSB - Ask your questions here! (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=42787)

Chris Kemp 02-12-2009 10:19 AM

Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!
 
Shane, I didn't do much of this throughout the programming. However I did a 1000m row after maybe 1.5 cycles and dropped a couple of seconds off my PB (down to about 3:10) having done very little rowing.

Wouldn't be surprised if my 5km run time has snuck up a bit but more through lack of practice than anything else.

Cheers, kempie

Jeff Belyeu 02-12-2009 11:21 AM

Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!
 
Since you mentioned running.... I think the CFSB program sounds great and I started it Monday. I am trying to teach myself pose method running with vibram five fingers. I have started with a few short runs around my neighborhood, mixing in running at moderate pace and walking to either catch my breath or just keep fresh and maintain (hopefully) good form. I don't think it would be a big tax on the system, but since rest is stressed in this program, I am unsure on when/where to work on this. Would this be fine as active rest? Should I used this in place of one of the skill work times, or one of the metcons? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff Power 02-12-2009 11:25 AM

Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!
 
Jeff(Martin),
Thanks for that, any thoughts on 5 on 2 off schedule to correspond to a work week? And could I sub in a power clean/push press instead of front squats to get more upper body work?

My stats are 5'10" 220# 42yom Squats=385 Deadlift=385 Press=185 the last time I did CFT have been playing around with SS althought not strictly. It seems to focus on the squat mostly while my weekness is the deadlift and the press. As well as sucking wind anytime I do more that 5 reps of something.

I want to work on my weaknesses (ie. powerclean/push press) as well as bring up my met-con ability.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks forall that you're doing as well as kempie and bingo and the rest of ya'll that really help us globogym reformed home gymers.:thanx:

Jeff

David Schneider 02-12-2009 11:29 AM

Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Belyeu (Post 517108)
Since you mentioned running.... I think the CFSB program sounds great and I started it Monday. I am trying to teach myself pose method running with vibram five fingers. I have started with a few short runs around my neighborhood, mixing in running at moderate pace and walking to either catch my breath or just keep fresh and maintain (hopefully) good form. I don't think it would be a big tax on the system, but since rest is stressed in this program, I am unsure on when/where to work on this. Would this be fine as active rest? Should I used this in place of one of the skill work times, or one of the metcons? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Short jogs/runs working on POSE should be alright, as long as you're not running MARATHONS on rest days...

You could always incorporate short sprints into your metcons, they go great with heavy lifting. You could have them as a part of a couplet or triplet (e.g. Heavy power cleans & sprints) something like that.

I'm sure Kempie will have a better answer for you though...

Fabiano Burzacca 02-12-2009 11:52 AM

Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!
 
Kempie, thanks for the great idea, I think this thread is going to be a long living one.

Joshua Murphy 02-12-2009 11:59 AM

Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Kemp (Post 517041)

When I started this I was managed to do 12-9-6 with 300lb deads. After 2 and a bit cycles I managed 17@330 and 11@360. I'm guessing that Linda at 300 is gonna be a bit easier next time round ...

Help any?

Cheers, kempie


Perfect...thanks!

Chris Kemp 02-12-2009 01:46 PM

Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Belyeu (Post 517108)
Since you mentioned running.... I think the CFSB program sounds great and I started it Monday. I am trying to teach myself pose method running with vibram five fingers. I have started with a few short runs around my neighborhood, mixing in running at moderate pace and walking to either catch my breath or just keep fresh and maintain (hopefully) good form. I don't think it would be a big tax on the system, but since rest is stressed in this program, I am unsure on when/where to work on this. Would this be fine as active rest? Should I used this in place of one of the skill work times, or one of the metcons? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff B - at the stage you're in I would treat your POSE running as skill work. Also, nothing stopping you from doing run based metcons. Keep them short and sharp though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Power (Post 517114)
Jeff(Martin),
Thanks for that, any thoughts on 5 on 2 off schedule to correspond to a work week? And could I sub in a power clean/push press instead of front squats to get more upper body work?

Jeff

Jeff P - I discussed a 5 day cycle in the other thread. For me I'd ditch the ME Back Squats and do High rep BS on Monday, take Wednesday off, Thurs ME Front squats and Fri Press. Lots of short sharp metcons. Your dead and squat are good but not immense for a big unit- I really think you would be better served by sticking with the ME basics and working things like your PC and PP in your metcons.

Once again, the program is a template. If you think your goals would be better served by tweaking it a little then go for it. Just don't blame the program for not producing results if you don't do the program.

Cheers, kempie

Justin McGinley 02-12-2009 01:47 PM

Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by David Schneider (Post 517119)
Short jogs/runs working on POSE should be alright, as long as you're not running MARATHONS on rest days...

You could always incorporate short sprints into your metcons, they go great with heavy lifting. You could have them as a part of a couplet or triplet (e.g. Heavy power cleans & sprints) something like that.

Sprints + heavy lifting = brutal metcon. Sounds perfect for the program.

Jamie J. Skibicki 02-12-2009 01:53 PM

Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!
 
I added in some tumbling work after my workout out today (I did 5 x 3 bench and 1 set of 17 and then 4 rounds of 500 meter row and 25 situps). Oh my god it was fun. I left the gym bouncing around. I know rolls are uber basic when it come to gymnastic but wow. I mean, I left the gym happy and energetic even though at several points I was absolutely beat.

Robert Callahan 02-12-2009 02:16 PM

Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki (Post 517233)
I added in some tumbling work after my workout out today (I did 5 x 3 bench and 1 set of 17 and then 4 rounds of 500 meter row and 25 situps). Oh my god it was fun. I left the gym bouncing around. I know rolls are uber basic when it come to gymnastic but wow. I mean, I left the gym happy and energetic even though at several points I was absolutely beat.

Are you doing ME and High rep bench? I like where your head is at Skibicki... Maybe I will throw in some bench on Thursdays, been missing it since I have been doing CFSB....

Keep us posted on how your recovery goes and how/if it effects press day. I am most interested!

-Robert


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.