CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Running a CrossFit Facility (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Cooling a warehouse in the summer months (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=26106)

Gregg Arsenuk 01-14-2008 08:59 AM

Cooling a warehouse in the summer months

Has anyone had any experience with summer months in a warehouse? I have secured a 3000 sq ft facility with 15 ft ceilings. I have a large garage door that can be opened but concerned going forward into the hot and humid summer months here in New Jersey. I have looked into misting fans. Anyone have personal experience here with regard to client/member reactions to training in the heat and/or solutions??

Thanks

Rolando Ezequiel Martinez 01-14-2008 11:51 AM

Re: Cooling a warehouse in the summer months

I have heard good things about swamp coolers. Especially in humid climates.

Gregg Arsenuk 01-14-2008 12:25 PM

I will check that out, Thx

Michael Manning 01-14-2008 02:13 PM

We are in Florida, Swamp coolers are NOT efficient when the humidity rises. Google "Porta-cool", if you dig, you will find temp/humidity efficiency charts.

Leonid Soubbotine 01-14-2008 03:01 PM

Couple of fans and let them sweat. After all it's CF - 10-20 minutes and done!

Gregg Arsenuk 01-14-2008 04:54 PM

I am def a fan of letting em sweat!! Just having some pre opening jitters that "I BUILT IT and "THEY WONT COME". Thanks for the guidance

Joey Guth 01-14-2008 05:11 PM

Constantly varied... sometimes it's going to be hot.

Adam Head 01-14-2008 08:20 PM

www.bigassfans.com wfs

I don't have them in my gym, but I've been in warehouses that use them and they really do work, very well.
Adam

>>a little on the pricey side though

Blair Robert Lowe 01-15-2008 05:13 AM

While your HC CF Elite will take the heat, I think your everyday joe; especially people changing their lifestyle into working out will not take it well. Kids don't well in it.

I'd reccomend just keeping a lot of air circulation whether it's having the bay doors down, ceiling fans or those jet engine like fans you can get at the big hardware stores. I'm talking like as big as your arms in a circle.

Misters sound good, but I'd be worrying about getting it onto the equipment. Perhaps some smaller fans with misters or a mister area.

Shade and not so many windows are awesome. Our gym has probably 20 double door sized windows and it's killer, especially near those windows where there is no airflow ( we just have 3 ceiling coolers around our floor with our beams and entrance somewhat near ). We need at least some blinds.

I started bringing in fans to put near our apparatus as my kids were just dying without any airflow and the stagnant heat. All the apparatus wasn't really near those ceiling coolers and the windows didn't help.

A few years ago, I worked at a gym and all we had was bay doors and just 18 or 20 inch fans. It was tiring, but nowhere near as bad as last summer and temperatures were roughly the same in both locales. Same size buildings around 12k sq ft.

If ya leave the doors open, I reccomend some netting or burn some incense or sometin to keep those bugs out.

Lisbeth Darsh 01-15-2008 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe (Post 241894)
While your HC CF Elite will take the heat, I think your everyday joe; especially people changing their lifestyle into working out will not take it well. Kids don't well in it.

Good point. We were still working out of my garage last summer and the humidity was a real problem for some newer clients. Fans helped a lot but I have to say I'm looking forward to turning on that A/C unit come summertime in our box.