CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Nik (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=33554)

Ernie Guevara 08-13-2010 02:57 PM

Re: Nik

Awesome improvement on Annie nik!:pepper: did the shoulders bother you any during the doubles?

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;826974]"Annie"

50-40-30-20 and 10 rep rounds of:
Double-unders
Sit-ups, anchored no matt.

time 7:10
last time 8:44
last,last time 11:10
last,last,last time 13:14

misses on DU's on the set of 30 I missed like 4or5 in a row. I didn't get any DU's un broken set of 20 I missed at 3 reps and got the rest. I did get the 10 in a row.

531 week 3 bench
5@165lbs
3@185lbs
3@210lbs(no spot, I may have had 1 or 2 more reps, but with out a spot i didn't want to fail I wussed outI know)

Great day in all. Real happy.[/QUOTE]

Nik Nichols 08-13-2010 03:21 PM

[QUOTE=Ernie Guevara;827093]Awesome improvement on Annie nik!:pepper: did the shoulders bother you any during the doubles?[/QUOTE]

Thanks Bud. I guess my shoulders were fine really. They started getting sore like they do from DU's anyway, but nothing more then that. The thrusters didn't bother them for the DU's.

Here's a question for you now that you brough it up. When doing DU's I expect your shoulders start burning after you go for a wile. Do you just keep pushing through that burn? I find that after it starts burning my shoulders get tight and my two arms loose rythum with each other after a wile. I guess it is fatigue.

It didn't really hit me today. But I felt it coming. I was finishing a set and my arms started getting wierd like that, but I finished befor it happened.

I'll be honest with you, I was glad to get a PR after the slowmo work I have been doing.

Scott Jenkins 08-14-2010 12:45 AM

Great work Nik, your pr is coming down in lumps every time, Looks like I wll have to be on tune with my doubles today to match you two.

Nik Nichols 08-14-2010 05:55 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;827239]Great work Nik, your pr is coming down in lumps every time, Looks like I wll have to be on tune with my doubles today to match you two.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Bud, at least on BW workouts I'm starting to close the gap, well kind of, I still have to shave off 3 min to threaten you.

Martin and I are about to go do the pullup workout now. Last time I did 40.8k all 7 reps, I'll push for 45 or more K today.

Scott Jenkins 08-14-2010 06:16 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;827267]Thanks Bud, at least on BW workouts I'm starting to close the gap, well kind of, I still have to shave off 3 min to threaten you.

Martin and I are about to go do the pullup workout now. Last time I did 40.8k all 7 reps, I'll push for 45 or more K today.[/QUOTE]

Its all about getting the doubles and then making them smoother which then makes it easier on the breathing, your jumping massive improvements each time Nik so not long before you start hitting sub 6.

Those weighted pull ups were so frustrating today, Just that last inch every time with the 45k for me, it was close but I had to call them fails.

Ernie Guevara 08-14-2010 06:20 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;827099]Thanks Bud. I guess my shoulders were fine really. They started getting sore like they do from DU's anyway, but nothing more then that. The thrusters didn't bother them for the DU's.

Here's a question for you now that you brough it up. When doing DU's I expect your shoulders start burning after you go for a wile. Do you just keep pushing through that burn? I find that after it starts burning my shoulders get tight and my two arms loose rythum with each other after a wile. I guess it is fatigue.

It didn't really hit me today. But I felt it coming. I was finishing a set and my arms started getting wierd like that, but I finished befor it happened.

I'll be honest with you, I was glad to get a PR after the slowmo work I have been doing.[/QUOTE]
It all comes down to mastering keeping your arms as close to your body as possible. You shouldn't feel much shoulder fatigue once the arms are close in. I know it's easier said than done but it's possible. I use to get the shoulder burn when I first learned the doubles and it was because I would use my arms to spin the rope nstead of my wrists. Now I try and relax my entire body and just focus on whipping my wrists and keeping each jump exactly the same sat the last one.

Nik Nichols 08-14-2010 07:06 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;827271]Its all about getting the doubles and then making them smoother which then makes it easier on the breathing, your jumping massive improvements each time Nik so not long before you start hitting sub 6.

Those weighted pull ups were so frustrating today, Just that last inch every time with the 45k for me, it was close but I had to call them fails.[/QUOTE]
I will work on the DU's. Yea it is that last inch that is the killer, I know for my self wheather i got it or not, there isn't really any doubt. I hope for a good session today.
[QUOTE=Ernie Guevara;827275]It all comes down to mastering keeping your arms as close to your body as possible. You shouldn't feel much shoulder fatigue once the arms are close in. I know it's easier said than done but it's possible. I use to get the shoulder burn when I first learned the doubles and it was because I would use my arms to spin the rope nstead of my wrists. Now I try and relax my entire body and just focus on whipping my wrists and keeping each jump exactly the same sat the last one.[/QUOTE]

I will try to get my arms closer, my rope is long so I'm sure I will have to sahorten it a bit to give me the room to move my arms in.

I though about doing that, but honestly it is Bradys rope anms I'm lazy to do it. :D

Nik Nichols 08-14-2010 07:59 AM

Weighted pull-ups 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 reps

body weight 165lbs

1. 98lbs
2. 103lbs
3. 103lbs
4. 103lbs
5. 103lbs
6. 103lbs
7. 105.5lbs(47.8k)

last time 03/14/10
first two reps 90lbs
last 5 reps 98lbs

time befor 10/19/09
90lbs for 1-4 reps
95 for rep 5
100lbs for reps 6and7

It felt good toay, all the weighted pullups lately has paid off.

Scott I battled that last inch almost from the begining. That little kick at the top got me right over though. I was watching it real close, and like we said you know when you hit it and come short. I had to kick twice on two reps to be happy with the pulls. Real happy with it.

Scott Jenkins 08-14-2010 08:41 AM

Great work Nik, that's a massive pull up there and you beat my all time pr of 47.5k also. So you have been hitting weighted ones in your breaks at work, maybe its something I need to do.

Nik Nichols 08-14-2010 03:18 PM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;827313]Great work Nik, that's a massive pull up there and you beat my all time pr of 47.5k also. So you have been hitting weighted ones in your breaks at work, maybe its something I need to do.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, it really was a good day mentally and physicaly. Not being under time was a good thing with Martin there. It all came together well for me.

I got this workout a wile back and fit it in at least once or twice a week. of the weighted pulllups.

It is 2 reps every min on the min for 10 min. I am using 53lbs total or 24k I think.

It is heavy but managable, I haven't missed a rep. I have really been doing this because I don't have the time to put in the volume in on pullups like I use to, so I have gone to a more strenth work out to keep them up.

I haven't done any kipping in my warmup in months, all because of my shoulder from a wile ago. And it seems to translater across to kip pretty well. I do get out of rythum a little some times, but the strenth and stamina is there.