CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Injuries (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Hand and Wrist pain (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=26854)

Aaron Rogers 01-29-2008 05:30 PM

Hand and Wrist pain

I experience an uncomfortable sensation that originates in my right wrist and radiates to the middle of my palm when I perform the negative portion of overhead Squats. Any ideas?

Aaron Shaffer 01-29-2008 07:44 PM

Re: Hand and Wrist pain

chances are that you are allowing your wrists to tilt backwards. i have to drill this out of all my trainees. your hand should be directly over your forearm (do not let it tilt backwards at 90 degrees)

Allen Yeh 01-29-2008 09:06 PM

[QUOTE=Aaron Shaffer;249690]chances are that you are allowing your wrists to tilt backwards. i have to drill this out of all my trainees. your hand should be directly over your forearm (do not let it tilt backwards at 90 degrees)[/QUOTE]

Aaron,

I had always done what you had suggested as well but at the Oly Seminar/Fundraiser that Greg Everett had in DC he stated that you want to allow your wrists to go back.

Steven Low 01-29-2008 10:12 PM

Forearms might not be conditioned to handle the weight..

Could also be pinching a nerve.

Aaron Shaffer 01-30-2008 09:22 AM

Allen, I'm surprised to hear Greg say that. Did he explain why? Rippetoe told me to keep them directly under for the press, so I do the same for overhead squat. It seems right to me given the physics of it all. I know that I get pain if I let my palms rotate back 90 instead of keeping my forearm under. I'll make sure to ask Coach B at the Oly cert I'm attending in March.

Steven Low 01-30-2008 09:52 AM

I think it's hands back mainly due to the stabilizing component. At higher weights you want the weight settled back and basically static. If you add in another piece where the formarms are going to have to work to keep the weight stable above the forearm, you're basically going to have to dump more attempts especially with the heavier weights you're using for oly.

Plus, all the videos/pics I have seen are wrists back at 90... haven't really seen much at all with wrist directly above the forearm.

Allen Yeh 01-31-2008 07:31 AM

[QUOTE=Aaron Shaffer;249932]Allen, I'm surprised to hear Greg say that. Did he explain why? Rippetoe told me to keep them directly under for the press, so I do the same for overhead squat. It seems right to me given the physics of it all. I know that I get pain if I let my palms rotate back 90 instead of keeping my forearm under. I'll make sure to ask Coach B at the Oly cert I'm attending in March.[/QUOTE]

I wish I could remember what he said in regards to why I was too focused on the "great I've been doing it wrong all this time" part. It's still been a struggle to break that habit.

I don't think it applies for pressing though.