CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Competitions (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   2018 CrossFit Open, Regionals and Games Thread (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=89483)

Christopher Morris 01-29-2018 10:28 PM

2018 CrossFit Open, Regionals and Games Thread

3, 2, 1... Go! :highfive:

[url]https://games.crossfit.com/article/2018-live-open-announcement-venues/open[/url] (wfs)

Vic McQuaide 01-31-2018 11:22 AM

Re: 2018 CrossFit Open, Regionals and Games Thread

Usually CF opens up with a motor thing and sometimes a repeat. Briggs and Holte were the two best times in 17.1 of the big names. Grudge match?

Alex Burden 02-01-2018 04:38 AM

I hope this is not a rematch of 17.1 that would be boring, on the other hand that would get rid of the repeats for 2018 and we know we would have 4 new WODs the remaining time.

A little give and take on this from my side.

SH*T this means i need to hit 17.1 again very soon.

Brad Gerbrandt 02-05-2018 09:16 AM

I don't see it being a repeat of 17.1.

I don't think we will see that event again due to a safety issue with the box jumps. How many fail videos has you seen with people tripping on the box? I could see the DB jump over as the new alternative.

Vic McQuaide 02-05-2018 10:23 AM

HQ usually repeats a workout. Castro put up a picture of the DB and barbell with the hint to get your 35's and 50's ready. Standards have changed and might be a good time to set the tone with 18.1/17.1. We will see. Who knows.

Vic McQuaide 02-14-2018 10:36 AM

Saw a Castro video last night but can't find it today. He talked about people had a good idea of what to expect but that he was going to totally change the style or change parameters? If anyone finds this please share. That would be cool to do something different. But then again they say this all of the time then you get a repeat, chipper, couplet or two, maybe a max.. etc.

Jayme Gruber 02-14-2018 02:04 PM

[QUOTE=Vic McQuaide;1270691]Saw a Castro video last night but can't find it today. He talked about people had a good idea of what to expect but that he was going to totally change the style or change parameters? If anyone finds this please share. That would be cool to do something different. But then again they say this all of the time then you get a repeat, chipper, couplet or two, maybe a max.. etc.[/QUOTE]
WFS
[url]https://www.instagram.com/p/BfJ3G8vA9vd/?hl=en[/url]
Typical Castro speak. No real detail, talking in riddles, all the hype that will likely never be lived up to.

Alex Burden 02-15-2018 12:50 AM

I hope he keeps his word because this will make it exciting and mess with our heads.

Maybe bench press, squats, AAB, rope climbs... whatever it will be the judges must know how to judge the movement.

Brad Gerbrandt 02-15-2018 10:32 AM

I haven't taken the judges course this year yet. Was there anything out of the norm in there? If not I don't think we will be seeing any movements that are really out of the ordinary. As people have said, maybe shuttle runs.

One thing we haven't seen yet are penalties - say something like: 100 wall balls. Every time you break you have to do 10 burpees. Not like that is overly unusual but just different than any Open event we have seen so far. Personally, I would like to see that type of format for an event.

I don't expect rope climbs, pistols or Airdynes. Maybe bench press but we haven't used any type of squat stands or anything to hold up a bar in the Open yet.

Alex Burden 02-16-2018 01:20 AM

[QUOTE=Brad Gerbrandt;1270708]One thing we haven't seen yet are penalties - say something like: 100 wall balls. Every time you break you have to do 10 burpees. [/QUOTE]

Now that is outside of the box... this would really seperate the field in a different way.

Christopher Morris 02-21-2018 12:04 PM

[QUOTE=Vic McQuaide;1270691]Saw a Castro video last night but can't find it today. He talked about people had a good idea of what to expect but that he was going to totally change the style or change parameters? If anyone finds this please share. That would be cool to do something different. But then again they say this all of the time then you get a repeat, chipper, couplet or two, maybe a max.. etc.[/QUOTE]

[url]https://www.instagram.com/p/BfJ3G8vA9vd/?taken-by=crossfitgames[/url] (wfs)

He's full of it. Once it's all said and done, I expect the same movements and workout structure we've seen in past Open competitions.

Jason A Smith 02-21-2018 06:10 PM

I really think this might be the year that the ultimate test of fitness comes in........HS walking. hahahahaha but seriously I think you might see it and maybe shuttle running. Could be some different formats as well. DB OHS, DB walking lunge. Really I don't care I am going to just do then this year for the first time in the last three which is exciting enough.

Vic McQuaide 02-22-2018 11:32 AM

Yes each year they tout something new but it boils down to the same gear because everyone needs access to it. They added db last year so that was different. They can add shuttle sprints, pistols, hsw, rope climbs.. but it will come down to who is ready for anything. Most if not all of the top people will advance just like each year. Yes will have some Rookie types that will make headlines. WTBS: I do hope that this year the open adds some really cool stuff.

Greg Morrison 02-22-2018 01:53 PM

I just saw something from the Games saying that there will be a new movement tonight. Hmmmm

Vic McQuaide 02-22-2018 04:45 PM

As I remember Sam B had some troubles on the Hand Stand Walks. Maybe they want to see how she is progressing?

Vic McQuaide 02-23-2018 10:23 AM

I don't know what the other 4 workouts are going to be but if I had expectations of something crazy or new this would have been a let down.

One arm hang clean and jerk with some t2b and rowing. Seems kind of elementary.

Vic McQuaide 02-23-2018 10:34 AM

Rowing numbers-
1600 12 cals :27 14 cals :31.5
1400 :30.8 :36
1200 :36 :42
1000 :43.2 :50.6
800 :54 :63

Jason A Smith 02-24-2018 06:59 AM

Vic,

That little chart is quite useful. I am planning on 11-1200cal/hr pace for the 20 minutes. If there is any gas left in the tank at the end I will crank it up as best as I can. I have zero expectations other than trying my best and seeing how it goes.

Vic McQuaide 02-28-2018 09:40 AM

Guess that the top 2 scores were deleted because of the rowing machines of non Concept 2. He was rowing excessively fast. Should get a re do because the rules were a little vague on a concept II.

Brad Gerbrandt 02-28-2018 12:53 PM

I kinda feel like instead of having their scores removed they should get a penalty of 15% or something like that. Similar to Bridges' DL fiasco.

That being said, one could make the argument similar to PED's. They weren't following the rules by using a rower that wasn't calibrated similar to a C2. Even if they contacted the manufacturer and were told the rowers were fine. Just like if a supplement company tells you there are no banned substances in their stuff and you test positive, it's still on you.

Jon Campbell 02-28-2018 04:43 PM

Crossfit released a statement saying the xebex rowers are not the same as concept and if you used a xebex you will receive a 15% penalty. You have until the close of 18.2 to let them know you used a xebex rower in order to stay in the open.

Jayme Gruber 03-01-2018 07:22 AM

Probably should've just stated outright that only Concept2's are allowed. Who in the world would know if one is calibrated like another? Kind of sucks for them to find out after the fact and not be given a chance to retest.

Jacob Heppner with some epic trolling on his IG though :rofl:

Jon Campbell 03-01-2018 08:09 AM

So I watched a video of one of the top two guys doing the workout. His first round he was done with the row in under 30 secs. That obviously possible but not the way he rowing. Going by the pace numbers someone posted early, he would have to be at over 1600 on his pace. Probably over 1700. That is flat getting it and he was not moving any where close to that. I think they were clear in what was allowed and it's up to the individual to make sure their equipment meets the standard.

Brad Gerbrandt 03-01-2018 09:17 AM

[QUOTE=Brad Gerbrandt;1270812]I kinda feel like instead of having their scores removed they should get a penalty of 15% or something like that. Similar to Bridges' DL fiasco.[/QUOTE]

Called it...

Vic McQuaide 03-01-2018 11:12 AM

I wonder how many will fess up to the wrong rowers. I believe that this is the 4th time in the open using rowing.. don't you think that it would have come up by now? Wonder how many got a break the last two times doing 55 cal and the year prior doing 60 cal's?

Well guess HQ has a chance to blow apart the open. Last week they rewarded the engines and the tall and heavy people who can do T2B.

This week maybe they reward the gymnastic people with some hsw, hspu, mu, c2b?

Brad Gerbrandt 03-01-2018 12:47 PM

I could be wrong, but I thought the last few times they had rowing, it specifically said it had to be a C2. Not just calibrated the same.

Jayme Gruber 03-01-2018 01:03 PM

[QUOTE=Brad Gerbrandt;1270827]I could be wrong, but I thought the last few times they had rowing, it specifically said it had to be a C2. Not just calibrated the same.[/QUOTE]
I was curious too, so I looked. This is from the workout descriptions on the Games site:
2017: Rower that counts calories, similar in type and calibration to a Concept2 rower
2016: Rower that counts calories, similar in type and calibration to a Concept 2
2015: An indoor rower with a monitor that measures calories

Brad Gerbrandt 03-01-2018 01:30 PM

hmmm... Interesting that this has only come up now. Perhaps it is a sign of the purchase that Xebex is gaining on the market.

Jon Campbell 03-02-2018 07:20 AM

[QUOTE=Brad Gerbrandt;1270830]hmmm... Interesting that this has only come up now. Perhaps it is a sign of the purchase that Xebex is gaining on the market.[/QUOTE]

Could also be that this was the first time some at the top submitted a video using the Xebex and it was obvious they do not count calories the same.

Jayme Gruber 03-02-2018 08:09 AM

[QUOTE=Jon Campbell;1270837]Could also be that this was the first time some at the top submitted a video using the Xebex and it was obvious they do not count calories the same.[/QUOTE]
Did they recently start making them? I don't even remember hearing about this company until recently.

Anyway, you'd think CF has enough money to buy ALL the rowers on the market, compare them all and figure out if the difference is negligible or if they have to rule out certain brands/deem only one brand acceptable.

Jon Campbell 03-02-2018 09:56 AM

[QUOTE=Jayme Gruber;1270839]Did they recently start making them? I don't even remember hearing about this company until recently.

Anyway, you'd think CF has enough money to buy ALL the rowers on the market, compare them all and figure out if the difference is negligible or if they have to rule out certain brands/deem only one brand acceptable.[/QUOTE]

Good question. I'm not sure when these hit the market. My gym has Xebex bikes. I've also used and Assault Bike and IMO the Xebex bike seems to get calories easier than the Assault. I mean Xebex still sucks but if you had to get 20 Cal it seems the Xebex is quicker.

As far as CF getting the different rowers, I see your point but at the end of the day if I'm them I wouldn't. I'd state as they did and it's up to the athletes to make sure they are using acceptable equipment. If these boxes want to save money on rowers I would suggest they buy 1 Concept rower and 1 Xebex (or whatever brand) and do the comparison. Even see if they can borrow a Concept.

Jon Campbell 03-02-2018 02:07 PM

From what i can tell the Xebex rowers cost just as much as the Concept. Unless they offer boxes a nice discount not sure why you wouldn't just get the Concept.

Jason A Smith 03-03-2018 07:59 AM

The reason you haven't seen it come up before is because rowing wasn't the main factor in the workout like it was this time.

It's entirely likely people have used them before. Honestly it's not their fault that they used the rower they had that they thought was legal. If the Open requires a concept 2 rower then they should specifically say that.

The only thing is that they should have realized after watching their effort and comparing it to someone else's that they would get caught with the big of a score. I wonder if they did it knowing full well that they could make CF look a little silly.

Looking forward to 18.2 today.

Christopher Morris 03-03-2018 11:03 AM

[QUOTE=Christopher Morris;1270741][url]https://www.instagram.com/p/BfJ3G8vA9vd/?taken-by=crossfitgames[/url] (wfs)

He's full of it. Once it's all said and done, I expect the same movements and workout structure we've seen in past Open competitions.[/QUOTE]

While the first two workouts of the Open seem like good ol' CrossFit, that is, not straying too far outside the box, there are some new aspects to these workouts.

I am impressed by the first two workouts. I really loved the 18.1 triplet and how different muscle systems were taxed. And 18.2 was fun to get some heavy work in after a being a little winded. If a workout can be elegant, these workouts fit the bill.

Alex Burden 03-05-2018 06:28 AM

So there are only 2 weeks that can possible be repeated based on the fact that a movement is only used once.

17.3 or 17.5

what one do you think will be repeated?

Or is Castro going to break the rules and not repeat any workout?

Jon Campbell 03-05-2018 06:50 AM

[QUOTE=Alex Burden;1270859]So there are only 2 weeks that can possible be repeated based on the fact that a movement is only used once.

17.3 or 17.5

what one do you think will be repeated?

Or is Castro going to break the rules and not repeat any workout?[/QUOTE]

Or the repeat could be from a different year.

Greg Morrison 03-05-2018 09:07 AM

[QUOTE=Jayme Gruber;1270819]Probably should've just stated outright that only Concept2's are allowed.[/QUOTE]

I remember Castro specifically stating Concept 2 on the live announcement. Don't know why it wouldn't be in the official rules.

Greg Morrison 03-05-2018 01:28 PM

Dan Bailey out with a knee injury on 18.2B :(

Vic McQuaide 03-06-2018 10:58 AM

Castro was right so many of the best have some very high points all ready after 3 scores.

Hope we have some gymnastics stuff to get some of these heavy weights of the ground or up side down. Throw in a hs walk you will really shake up the leader board in the masters.

Alex Burden 03-07-2018 05:57 AM

I think this is going to be a repeat of 17.3 this week.