CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Competitions (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   2018 CrossFit Open, Regionals and Games Thread (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=89483)

Jon Campbell 03-02-2018 09:56 AM

Re: 2018 CrossFit Open, Regionals and Games Thread

[QUOTE=Jayme Gruber;1270839]Did they recently start making them? I don't even remember hearing about this company until recently.

Anyway, you'd think CF has enough money to buy ALL the rowers on the market, compare them all and figure out if the difference is negligible or if they have to rule out certain brands/deem only one brand acceptable.[/QUOTE]

Good question. I'm not sure when these hit the market. My gym has Xebex bikes. I've also used and Assault Bike and IMO the Xebex bike seems to get calories easier than the Assault. I mean Xebex still sucks but if you had to get 20 Cal it seems the Xebex is quicker.

As far as CF getting the different rowers, I see your point but at the end of the day if I'm them I wouldn't. I'd state as they did and it's up to the athletes to make sure they are using acceptable equipment. If these boxes want to save money on rowers I would suggest they buy 1 Concept rower and 1 Xebex (or whatever brand) and do the comparison. Even see if they can borrow a Concept.

Jon Campbell 03-02-2018 02:07 PM

From what i can tell the Xebex rowers cost just as much as the Concept. Unless they offer boxes a nice discount not sure why you wouldn't just get the Concept.

Jason A Smith 03-03-2018 07:59 AM

The reason you haven't seen it come up before is because rowing wasn't the main factor in the workout like it was this time.

It's entirely likely people have used them before. Honestly it's not their fault that they used the rower they had that they thought was legal. If the Open requires a concept 2 rower then they should specifically say that.

The only thing is that they should have realized after watching their effort and comparing it to someone else's that they would get caught with the big of a score. I wonder if they did it knowing full well that they could make CF look a little silly.

Looking forward to 18.2 today.

Christopher Morris 03-03-2018 11:03 AM

[QUOTE=Christopher Morris;1270741][url]https://www.instagram.com/p/BfJ3G8vA9vd/?taken-by=crossfitgames[/url] (wfs)

He's full of it. Once it's all said and done, I expect the same movements and workout structure we've seen in past Open competitions.[/QUOTE]

While the first two workouts of the Open seem like good ol' CrossFit, that is, not straying too far outside the box, there are some new aspects to these workouts.

I am impressed by the first two workouts. I really loved the 18.1 triplet and how different muscle systems were taxed. And 18.2 was fun to get some heavy work in after a being a little winded. If a workout can be elegant, these workouts fit the bill.

Alex Burden 03-05-2018 06:28 AM

So there are only 2 weeks that can possible be repeated based on the fact that a movement is only used once.

17.3 or 17.5

what one do you think will be repeated?

Or is Castro going to break the rules and not repeat any workout?

Jon Campbell 03-05-2018 06:50 AM

[QUOTE=Alex Burden;1270859]So there are only 2 weeks that can possible be repeated based on the fact that a movement is only used once.

17.3 or 17.5

what one do you think will be repeated?

Or is Castro going to break the rules and not repeat any workout?[/QUOTE]

Or the repeat could be from a different year.

Greg Morrison 03-05-2018 09:07 AM

[QUOTE=Jayme Gruber;1270819]Probably should've just stated outright that only Concept2's are allowed.[/QUOTE]

I remember Castro specifically stating Concept 2 on the live announcement. Don't know why it wouldn't be in the official rules.

Greg Morrison 03-05-2018 01:28 PM

Dan Bailey out with a knee injury on 18.2B :(

Vic McQuaide 03-06-2018 10:58 AM

Castro was right so many of the best have some very high points all ready after 3 scores.

Hope we have some gymnastics stuff to get some of these heavy weights of the ground or up side down. Throw in a hs walk you will really shake up the leader board in the masters.

Alex Burden 03-07-2018 05:57 AM

I think this is going to be a repeat of 17.3 this week.