CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Competitions (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   2018 CrossFit Open, Regionals and Games Thread (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=89483)

Jon Campbell 02-28-2018 04:43 PM

Re: 2018 CrossFit Open, Regionals and Games Thread

Crossfit released a statement saying the xebex rowers are not the same as concept and if you used a xebex you will receive a 15% penalty. You have until the close of 18.2 to let them know you used a xebex rower in order to stay in the open.

Jayme Gruber 03-01-2018 07:22 AM

Probably should've just stated outright that only Concept2's are allowed. Who in the world would know if one is calibrated like another? Kind of sucks for them to find out after the fact and not be given a chance to retest.

Jacob Heppner with some epic trolling on his IG though :rofl:

Jon Campbell 03-01-2018 08:09 AM

So I watched a video of one of the top two guys doing the workout. His first round he was done with the row in under 30 secs. That obviously possible but not the way he rowing. Going by the pace numbers someone posted early, he would have to be at over 1600 on his pace. Probably over 1700. That is flat getting it and he was not moving any where close to that. I think they were clear in what was allowed and it's up to the individual to make sure their equipment meets the standard.

Brad Gerbrandt 03-01-2018 09:17 AM

[QUOTE=Brad Gerbrandt;1270812]I kinda feel like instead of having their scores removed they should get a penalty of 15% or something like that. Similar to Bridges' DL fiasco.[/QUOTE]

Called it...

Vic McQuaide 03-01-2018 11:12 AM

I wonder how many will fess up to the wrong rowers. I believe that this is the 4th time in the open using rowing.. don't you think that it would have come up by now? Wonder how many got a break the last two times doing 55 cal and the year prior doing 60 cal's?

Well guess HQ has a chance to blow apart the open. Last week they rewarded the engines and the tall and heavy people who can do T2B.

This week maybe they reward the gymnastic people with some hsw, hspu, mu, c2b?

Brad Gerbrandt 03-01-2018 12:47 PM

I could be wrong, but I thought the last few times they had rowing, it specifically said it had to be a C2. Not just calibrated the same.

Jayme Gruber 03-01-2018 01:03 PM

[QUOTE=Brad Gerbrandt;1270827]I could be wrong, but I thought the last few times they had rowing, it specifically said it had to be a C2. Not just calibrated the same.[/QUOTE]
I was curious too, so I looked. This is from the workout descriptions on the Games site:
2017: Rower that counts calories, similar in type and calibration to a Concept2 rower
2016: Rower that counts calories, similar in type and calibration to a Concept 2
2015: An indoor rower with a monitor that measures calories

Brad Gerbrandt 03-01-2018 01:30 PM

hmmm... Interesting that this has only come up now. Perhaps it is a sign of the purchase that Xebex is gaining on the market.

Jon Campbell 03-02-2018 07:20 AM

[QUOTE=Brad Gerbrandt;1270830]hmmm... Interesting that this has only come up now. Perhaps it is a sign of the purchase that Xebex is gaining on the market.[/QUOTE]

Could also be that this was the first time some at the top submitted a video using the Xebex and it was obvious they do not count calories the same.

Jayme Gruber 03-02-2018 08:09 AM

[QUOTE=Jon Campbell;1270837]Could also be that this was the first time some at the top submitted a video using the Xebex and it was obvious they do not count calories the same.[/QUOTE]
Did they recently start making them? I don't even remember hearing about this company until recently.

Anyway, you'd think CF has enough money to buy ALL the rowers on the market, compare them all and figure out if the difference is negligible or if they have to rule out certain brands/deem only one brand acceptable.