CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Its me and it's her (the wife) (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=88333)

Alex Burden 02-13-2015 02:19 AM

Its me and it's her (the wife)

I think it is about time I keep a log here instead of anywhere else..

I workout with the wife 4 times a week and we kick each others B-sides all the time... :)

So I am going to keep track of what we do and who beats who :)

Alex Burden 02-13-2015 02:21 AM

Re: Its me and it's her (the wife)

Today is my first log of many to come.

3 wods @ 21-15-9 time cap 20min

The idea it to increase the difficulty/intensity on each WOD. Choosing our own weights.

Wod 1 = Easy
Wod 2 = Medium
Wod 3 = Hard

Wod 1 = Easy
21 - WB
15 - KB Swings
9 - T2B

Wod 2 = Medium
21 - Deadlift
15 - Burpees
9 - Box jumps

Wod 3 = Hard
21 - OHS
15 - Clean & Jerk
9 - Front squat

Wife beat me twice today 2-1, otherwise it was a great day

Alex Burden 02-15-2015 08:30 AM

Rest days Saterday and Sunday

But building on the house for 12 hrs

Alex Burden 02-16-2015 12:46 AM

Well today was back only day.. not a heavy day but strict.

Total time 1hr 20min

Warm up:
C2 Rower first and then 100 WBs

Then onto:
Dumbell rows laying on a bench first
Rear shoulder flies
Strict pull ups
Lower back raises

To finish it off DU's for a little pulse and then a good stretch.

Alex Burden 02-17-2015 12:57 AM

Warm up : C2 rower

Snatch day today - technique only with an old weightlifter that has competed at national level
Front squats ladder starting at 40kg finishing at 100kg (total possibly 100reps)

Pure technique today checking start position and final position

From this we broke it down into different part and the last thing we did was full snatches. 3 reps per set, but they need to be good reps.

Mental:
Even though we did not try to hit any fantastic weights today the mental and concentration parts were just a tiring as trying to hit a PR.

So today was a great day and we have taken allot with us from this session.

Alex Burden 02-17-2015 11:32 PM

Rest day today...

Even though yesterdays sessions was not heavy I can feel it all over my upper back and traps...

So something good came out of it :)

Alex Burden 02-19-2015 01:07 AM

It was game on today!

The wife had a niggle in her shoulder so she scaled it today... love her for that..

AMRAP ladder 20min time cap - 3,6,9,12,15,18,21,24 and so on

For me
Thrusters 40kgs
Lengths of the gym (1 length is 20m)

For her
Thrusters 15kgs
Single unders (x10 for each rep)

Results:
Me- completed round 18 and 18 thrusters total = 144reps
Wife - completed round 21 and 127 single unders total = 84 thrusters + (967 SU's /10) = 97 reps = 181

Question is who really won.... :) i'll give the wife the win today...

Alex Burden 02-20-2015 01:18 AM

Today was deadlift day :)

Warm up with C2 rower and then 100 wall balls.

Then we started of light with the following reps 3, 3, 3, 2, 2, 2 ,1,1,1,1 until we were done. The weight increase between lifts was not more than 20kgs/44lbs. No lifts was to failure.

Me - start off light with 40kgs or 88lbs and at the end I finished off with a comfortable 165kgs or 363lbs

The Wife who has not done allot of deadlift previously PR 68kgs or 150lbs. she started of at 25kgs and finished of smashing her PR with 80kgs or 176lbs.

Got to give this one to the wife today.... She was so happy so I can't take that away from her :)

Alex Burden 02-23-2015 12:45 AM

Conditioning day today.

10 rounds for time
12 - lengths of the gym ( 1 length = 25 meter)
9 - DU's
6 - T2B
3 - OHS

No idea what the hell happened today but my DU's were useless, felt as if I was just starting to learn them again. Must have wasted at least 6-8 min on them :(

In the end this took 40:45 so I was not happy.

The wife did not train today so I won today :)

Alex Burden 02-24-2015 01:24 AM

Snatch, front squat and OHS today

Warm up was an easy 100 calories on the rower with a stroke rate of 22.
Then onto wall balls and did around 50-60 of them to loosen up.

Snatch
After last week I have a few things to work on, so it was light weight and concentrating on the pull from the hips and getting in that low position but keeping stable.

In between I did front squats for reps with 90kgs or 200lbs.

OHS
I have not been doing these that long, probably about 2 months.
So I started off with with the bar and in between I did front squats.
Worked up to a new PR of 7 reps at 60kgs. I could have gone heavier to get that 1 rep max but that was not important, I wanted proper form and the feeling of having the balance at the top and the bottom.

So a really good day today.

Wife had to go to work early today which was a great shame.. this is 2 days in a row without her beating my arse.... so looking forward to her coming back on Thursday :)

Alex Burden 02-25-2015 12:41 AM

Wife was back to training today :)

So today we shared the workout - do as much or as little as you want, pick the weight. Simple work out wife starts and does for example 12 reps, I continue on nr 13 - X , then she continues and so on until we have completed the total number of reps.

Warm up
C2 Rower 60 calories
100 wall balls

Then into
100 reps - ring pulls
100 reps - shoulder press behind the neck
100 reps - KB swing strait into a sumo KB dead lift (1 swing + 1 sumo = 1 rep)
1000 reps - DU's or SU's

Not a long workout but go our pulse up.

A good day

Alex Burden 02-26-2015 12:52 PM

Rest day today

Now waiting for the Open masters :)

Alex Burden 03-01-2015 07:05 AM

Taken few days off and First thing Monday morning it's 15.1 scaled, 45-49 years, men.

Even though I know I can snatch 115lbs I will get the most out of the scaled group.

I have registered for the Open but not the wife but she is going to give the scaled version a go to.

Looking forward to 5 weeks of the unknown :)

Alex Burden 03-02-2015 02:16 AM

Well today was my first and last chance to complete 15.1 and 15.1A

The reason for going scaled is that I have a shoulder that has been giving me grief the past 6-8 weeks and I am not going to take any chances with it. The snatch irritates it allot and takes longer for me to recover and I do not want to take pain killers for it, I'm not 20 anymore :)

So today for me and the wife (wife did not sign up for the open but I did)
Scaled men & women 18-54)
Complete as many rounds and reps as possible in 9 minutes of:
15 hanging knee raises
10 deadlifts (85 / 55 lb.)
5 snatches* (85 / 55 lb.)
* ground-to-overhead allowed

15.1A
1-rep-max clean and jerk
6-minute time cap

Me
180 reps
187lbs clean and jerk

Wife
148 reps
80lbs clean and jerk

I was please with the result but I could have gone 200lbs but did not have time, I think I started off a little light from the start at 154lbs but that's the way it goes.

The wife was pleased but not this the C&J. The wife pressed up 80lbs rather than jerking it up as she was tired but I told her to use the legs. She can easily get another 20lbs+.

So what do we take from today.... more C&J to really find out the 1rep max and do the workout twice so as to plan better.

Alex Burden 03-03-2015 03:09 AM

A new day a new challenge

Simple
Choose your own weights and get it done
100 calorie row
100 Wall balls
100 shoulder press
100 bench press
100 ring pulls
100 T2B or K2C

Good all-round WOD for today no stress no time limits or anything.

So the wife and I shared the equipment and the rest was when the other was working.

Alex Burden 03-03-2015 12:30 PM

Forgot that we also did 100 strait legged deadlifts today

Alex Burden 03-05-2015 01:20 AM

Well today is our 2nd anniversary together ... No not being married or anything we have been together 25years, married for 15 :D it's our 2nd anniversary of working out together :D:D

The reason we knew it was 2yrs is the fact that her membership needed to be renewed.

I started her off on the basics with the barbells and we gradually moved on to more and more complicated movements and after 6 months we moved over to CF. I started to look into CF some time before but I never really understood it but after a while I got the concept and that was it we were hooked.

My wife never actually thinks she has gotten any better or can lift allot but compared to the first time she has come a long way... from a barbell 20kgs to 80kg deadlift, 40kg C&J, 50kg front squat, 60 squat and just in the bench press when she had problems keeping the bar steady she can whip out sets of 10reps with 35kgs no problem. At last she has accepted the fact that she is actually quite good for being 46yrs old.

We hit our globo at 06.00, 4 times a week, even though she is tired and sometimes grumpy (not often) she gets up gets ready. Once we hit the gym she is on the go and starts to lighten up... a real trooper when she knows she would like to sleep another hour but gets up and just does it. Its easy for anyone to make an excuse or give up before they have even started rather than push through it.... that's the hardest part and she can now see and feel the difference.

So we are looking forward to the next 2 years as well.

"Bring it on" she says "bring it on"

Alex Burden 03-05-2015 01:36 AM

So our 2nd Anniversary workout was:

Warm up on the C2 for 5 min, light WBs and some mobility work for a total of 20min then:

3 wods @ 21-15-9 not for time, just get them done.

The idea it to increase the difficulty/intensity on each WOD. Choose your own weights

Wod 1 = Easy
Wod 2 = Medium
Wod 3 = Hard

Wod 1 = Easy (to warm up)
21 - WB
15 - KB Swing & Sumo (1 rep = 1 KB swing and then strait into a KB sumo)
9 - T2B

Wod 2 = Medium (for the lungs)
21 - lengths of the gym (our gym is 25meters)
15 - Burpees
9 - Box jumps 24"

Wod 3 = Hard (to finally take the last out of you)
21 - OHS
15 - Clean & Jerk (must be 2x the OHS weight)
9 - Front squat (must be 3x the OHS weight)

Wod 1 and 2 were not a problem today and i finished then before the wife but wod 3 was killer. The wife finished off wod 3 about 2 minutes quicker than me today but she took it a little lighter today. Wod 3 I took 30kgs, 60kgs and then 90kgs...

So today I actually won 2-1:)

Alex Burden 03-06-2015 12:57 AM

And today it was Workout 15.2

Woke up 05.20 and tired from yesterdays workouts. So today it was all about testing 15.2 and seeing what happens.

For as long as possible:

Rx
From 0:00-3:00
2 rounds of:
10 overhead squats (95 / 65 lb.)
10 chest-to-bar pull-ups

From 3:00-6:00
2 rounds of:
12 overhead squats (95 / 65 lb.)
12 chest-to-bar pull-ups
Etc., following same pattern

So I gave it a try and come up to 38 reps missing those 2 last chest to bars. I need to practice kipping on my C2B and pull ups and the total result will improve allot, but when you are 45 years old and 100kgs/220lbs then that's allot of weight to move :) I was a little disappointed but I have a goal for Monday and that is to improve the result to between 60-70 reps. This is going to be my motivation and having a good rest over the weekend will help allot. Knowing what my goal is what is going to push me into the second round and just go for it... nothing to loose.

Even though I am in the scaled division I went for the Rx because I can do both movements and this has been my goal, where I can I will go Rx but I am in the scaled which I am pleased about. Even though I know I can get allot farther in the scaled for this WOD I wanted the challenge and went Rx.

So Monday is a new day and a new score will be submitted :)

The wife did the a slightly scaled version of the scaled version and did really well for herself. She is not in The Open so this was not an issue, its the movements that are important. Slightly lower OHS weight and a band to help with the strict pull ups. This worked really for her and she completed the following.

0-3min 6,6,6,6 completed
3-6min 8,8,8,8 completed
6-9min 10,10,10,10 completed
9-12min 12,12,12,2 completed
For a grand total of total 134

I was really impressed with her, love her for that and yes she was a little tired and grumpy this morning... but who isn't now and then :)

Alex Burden 03-07-2015 12:00 PM

Rest Saterday and Sunday

15.2 again Monday morning with a vengance

Alex Burden 03-09-2015 01:04 AM

Well it was nice to have the weekend off and do other things but this morning it was time for 15.2 again.

Previous score 38reps

Todays score 56reps

I am really pleased with todays result as it is an improvement of 50% but OMG I was totally out of it after the 6min. The C2B worked allot better but I definitely need to work on the kipping. I broke them up into 5s from the start which helped but this is still a weak point. But that means there is room for improvement.

The OHS are not that easy when I have only ever lifted 60kgs for 7 reps before so 43kgs took a little out of me too, but same thing here, room for improvement is allot.

Alex Burden 03-09-2015 08:59 AM

Forgot the wife today.

As I was trying 15.2 again she did her own thing K2C, assisted pull ups, wall balls, single unders, strait legged dead lifts, C2 rower and som cleans.

She was happy today and helped during 15.2 with constructive information when I needed it to help me get through it.

Alex Burden 03-10-2015 12:33 AM

Today was a work on the lungs day.

6km row - this took 24min 11 seconds (nice easy pace 22 strokes/min)

KB ladder (Swing & Sumo) using 3 KBs - 12kg, 16kg and 20kg: 1 rep on each then 2 reps and so on, up to 5 reps.
(1 rep = 1 KB swing + then strait into a KB sumo)

WB + T2B ladder
(1 rep = 1 WB + 1 T2B)
5 reps on each then 4 reps and so on to 1 rep. then strait into 1 rep, 2 reps 3 reps up to 5 reps.

Double unders
Sets of 10 x 15 sets

Stretch and cool down for 20min

No wife today she decided to have an extra rest day this week.

Alex Burden 03-11-2015 01:52 AM

Set the alarm clock 1 hour later today,

Took it easy, had breakfast and then went to work....

Rests days are great sometimes :rofl:

Alex Burden 03-12-2015 12:55 AM

Well today was Superset Day pick your own weight, no time limits or max weights, just make if comfortable and have a steady sweat.

Warm up with the C2 - 60 calories
Du's 10 sets of 10 reps

6 sets of 8 reps (1 set WB and then 1 set Shoulder press, 1 set WB and then 1 set Shoulder press and so on until all sets are completed)
WB
Shoulder press (from behind neck)

6 sets of 8 reps (1 set bench press and then 1 set front squat and so on until all sets are completed)
Bench Press
Front squat

6 sets of 8 reps (1 set T2B and then 1 set deadlift and so on until all sets are completed)
T2B
Deadlift

Oh and just to tip the balance, every 5 minutes no matter if you are in the middle of something you drop whatever you are doing and complete 5 burpees and then continue.

Was a good workout and the wife enjoyed it.

Alex Burden 03-13-2015 01:22 AM

Well today is 15.3

Can I do a muscle up? - not a chance in hell! so today is scaled :)

What do I think about that - I think this is perfect not giving people the chance to do 1 rep just to be a part of the Rx. So you either choose no score or go scaled which is fair.

(Scaled Men and Women 18-54)
Complete as many rounds and repetitions as possible in 14 minutes of:
50 wall-ball shots
200 single-unders

Men use 20-lb. ball to 9 feet, Women use 10-lb. ball to 9 feet

Score for today = 624

This was a burner and you can feel it in the thighs. I did not mess up the SU's at all and broke them up in the second set. WB are not so much of a problem. Goal for Monday is to break 700 and I think it is possible as the final part of my 14 was SU's. so being smart I think I can do it. Have a good rest over the weekend first.

The wife - she is not in the open and did her own thing today but scored me in between her workout.

Alex Burden 03-15-2015 11:34 AM

Rest day yesterday and today :)

Needed the break..

15.2 tomorrow - second chance

Alex Burden 03-16-2015 12:41 AM

Well then it was is 15.3 for the second time.

Based on Fridays result my goal was 700reps.

Strategy was to break up the WBs early and never go under 5 reps in a row, also take it easier on the SUs so as not to miss the jump.

(Scaled Men and Women 18-54)
Complete as many rounds and repetitions as possible in 14 minutes of:
50 wall-ball shots
200 single-unders

Men use 20-lb. ball to 9 feet

Score for today = 690

So how id it go - well I broke things up as planned and tried to break up the SUs into 50's with a 2-3 second break in between.. So everything was going to plan and I was on the final set of SU's when I missed the jump 2 times missing those few vital seconds which would have been enough time to get those 10 reps I wanted for 700.

Was I pleased - of course..... anything better than Fridays score I have to be pleased with.

Wife did her own thing today -
WB's KB swings, KB sumo, SUs and front squat.. and she also kept count for me for 14min :) love her for that.

Alex Burden 03-17-2015 01:06 AM

All alone at the gym today as wife had planned not to workout today :(

So this is how it went: 06.00 to 07.30 today

Warm up
C2 rower - 10min medium pace level 6 - 2600meters
1km run - 5min 20 seconds

Shoulder mobility/flexibility stretches and hip flexibility for 10min

Then I moved on to:
Cleans
Power cleans
Squat cleans
Clean and jerks
Snatch
OHS

Progressively increasing the weight but not going heavy at all. Max weight today was 55kgs or 120lbs.

3 reps on each movement taking good time in between with the emphasis on technique and not the weight.

Continued like this increasing the weight in small amounts but still got a good sweat going.

How many sets or reps did I do? no idea what so ever :)

Alex Burden 03-19-2015 01:31 AM

Well yesterday was rest day and well deserved :)

Today it was back to business and the wife was on her game today.

So the warm up was:
1 min C2 row while the other did KB swings, rotate after 1 minute and continue this for 10 sets. (1 set = 1min row and 1 min KB)
Took it easy to start with and low KB weight, increasing when we wanted too. Hit on average 25-30 KB per minute.

Then we moved over to some simple dumbbell rows on a raised bench, laying flat on the bench so that you are not able to kipp 8-10reps for 5 sets. After every set we did Box jump over with a burpee 24/18inch for 10 reps for5 sets.

Then over to some light WBs and T2B - 5 reps for 5 sets

Then to shoulder press from behind the neck, 8-10 reps for 5 sets and then over to push press for 8-10 reps for 5 sets and to finish it off 8 sets of push jerk 5 reps per set.

Stretch and warm down after that...

Was a good day that got the pulse going and no major weights. With 15.4 knocking on my door tomorrow morning I did not want to hit my max in anything.

The wife was on the ball today and gave me a good run for my money :)
She's a cracker and knows when to try and wind me up and try to get into my brain to win... never works but I don't tell her that... :D

Alex Burden 03-20-2015 01:05 AM

Well today was 15.4 for the first time.

Got up at 05.20 sat on the toilet taking care of the daily business, brushing my teeth and checked the games homepage... Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks !!!!!!!

HSPU not a chance in hell... so it is back to scaled... but not as if that is that easy either... but game on :)

Scaled:
(Men & Women 18-54)
Complete as many rounds and reps as possible in 8
minutes of:
10 push presses
10 cleans
Men push press 95 lb. and clean 115 lb.

Got to the gym at 06.10 fully aware of what is going to happen. So it was a good warm up starting with the C2 rower and then some wall balls. started to warm up with deadlifts and press behind the neck then moved over to push press. Worked on some shoulder mobility in between but took it nice and easy working up to 140kgs in the deadlift and 50kgs in push press. @ 06.50 it was game on. The wife was on hand as judge and she hit the timer....

Strategy 10reps per minute is the goal for today and at least 80 reps.

Score for today = 91reps

The first 2 minutes I did 30reps and held the 10reps limit I set for the rest of the time +1 extra at the end. So I was pleased with that and on Monday my goal is 100reps.. 25reps per 2minutes which I think I can do. a little less rest than today and I will hit it.

Bring on Monday!

Today the wife did her own thing with allot of deadlifts and K2C with a good amount of mobility work. She is getting stronger whipping out rep after rep.

Alex Burden 03-21-2015 01:23 AM

Hardest part of today's workout... Breakfast :)

Rest over the weekend and hit 15.4 Monday

Alex Burden 03-23-2015 12:40 AM

Well this morning was a repeat of Friday 15.4

The wife has come down with the flu so she did not workout today which was a shame so I had another cross fitter judge my score.

My goal was 100 today but only hit 85!

I was not all there this morning and I am hoping I do not come down with the flu. Having the wife judge is much better as she knows how to get me going and tells me to pick the bar up and not just look at it.

I hit 50 reps in 4min which I thought was great but I was also keeping count and thinking way too much, whereas my wife otherwise takes care of it all. and towards the end I got tired and just could not do it. He did not give me the input I needed to push me over the line.

It makes a massive difference in the result not having her around.

Missed the wife today

So that is it for 15.4, the score will be 91 and that will have to be good enough.

Alex Burden 03-23-2015 01:07 PM

Well it seems that I have a dose of the flu now! This is not good.

No training for me tomorrow

Hope it does not get any worse... 15.5 on Friday and to miss it would be terrible.

Blaming the wife for this ;)

Alex Burden 03-26-2015 01:26 AM

Well after a couple of days rest I feel really good. The wife is still sick but is almost on the way back.

So today I was by myself.

15 cal row
200m run
20 cal row
200m row
25 cal row
200m run
30 cal row
200m row

Then over to:
5 sets of 5 reps Box jump over
5 sets of 5 reps thrusters 65lbs
5 sets of 5 reps Box jump over burpees
5 sets of 5 reps thrusters 65lbs

Rope climb to 15ft
5 climbs

Then after this I stated to work on muscle up technique, breaking it down into smaller parts and working on the kip.

After that I went over to bar muscle ups and worked on technique there too. The great thing was I almost got my first bar muscle up today...

Warmed down with double unders and some shoulder mobility.

All in all a good day... all ready for 15.5 first thing tomorrow morning.

Alex Burden 03-27-2015 02:00 AM

Got up at 05.20 as usual and checked the CF announcement.

Well welcome to Workout 15.5

27-21-15-9 reps for time of:
Row (calories)
Thrusters M 95 lb. F 65 lb.

Strategy was to break up the thrusters from the start and hit 15 calories/min and rest during the row.

Time for today RX = 14.43

I had a goal of 15min to complete this and I did. Now on Monday I am going to repeat this and I am hoping to better this time. Strategy then will be pull a little harder on the rower (had it set on 6 during my first try) and break down the thrusters into larger sets.

What I do know is that you need to plan your rest! now I am 45years old so planning is vital and I think it worked well.

What I do know is that after this open I am going to hit Fran again and I bet I can beat my best time.

Alex Burden 03-30-2015 12:18 AM

Got up at 05.20 as usual with focus on only one thing - to beat Fridays time of 14.43. This is the final day and final try so its give 110%.

27-21-15-9 reps for time of:
Row (calories)
Thrusters M 95 lb.

Strategy based on Fridays try was to keep the thrusters to sets of five and no lower and a better in and out of the rower.
The rower I set to level 7 and 15 calories in 1min was not a problem during warm-up so I kept to it.

The plan was to rest on the rower so that I could keep to the plan on the thrusters. I was thinking that most people are going to have trouble with the thrusters and not the rower, but back technique on the rower slows them down and a high pulse after the row will affect the thrusters.

So keep control on the rower and do what I can on the thrusters.

The most important person during the WOD was the wife because she knew I had a plan and she knows when to keep me updated on the count and when to tell me to pick the weight up. She was really positive and gave me some really positive comments during the WOD that were worth their price in gold. She was on her game and helped me through it :)

So how did it go....
Friday RX = 14.43
Monday RX = 13.19 :D

I had a goal and beat it and that was that for The Open 2015 all done.:)

Now its just to find out where I end up.

Alex Burden 03-30-2015 04:04 AM

Forgot - the Wife she was working out today too.

She did her own thing today

Row
Wall balls
KB swings
KB sumo
K2C

Light cleans
Front squats
Shoulder press behind the neck
Shoulder mobility

and then she judged me :)

Alex Burden 03-30-2015 11:25 AM

New WOD for 1 week

After not having a long break from working out for 6 months and having done the open, i am prescribing the following:

W - Week
O - Of
D - Doughnuts

Back next Tuesday :D

Alex Burden 04-06-2015 11:56 PM

So after a week off I am back in business.

Well The Open is now over and the scores are in..

Worldwide men RX - place 69028
Worldwide Men RX Master 45-49yrs - place 3151
Europe men RX - place 8600
Europe Men RX Master 45-49yrs - place 255

Am I pleased with this? yes I am... I bettered my placing every week.

The only thing I am not pleased with is the first week where I went scaled because of a shoulder problem... so of the 5 weeks I went 3 scaled and 2 RXd.