CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Average Jay question :-) (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=7542)

Jay Edvardz 12-02-2003 10:29 PM

Unfortunately, as of late, I have allowed the OCD side of me to creep back in to me dietary regimen. I have been following NHE, with great success, for a while now. On the plan calorie counting is not allowed and since the start of the program I have ben abiding by the rules, so to speak. Recently, though, I have begun to monitor my calories and even cut calories. Over the past couple of days I kept myself at 2000 calories. I am 150 pounds, follow the WODs as hard as possible and lead a fairly active lifestyle. Since restricting the calories I have been feeling lethargic, a bit cranky, and tonight I was ravenously hungry. Also, I feel as though fat loss has halted to some degree and I am hoping I am not screwing with muscle. I know I need to go back to just eating based on hunger, etc. It's just fairly hard for me to do based on a lot of issues from my past. Any suggestions, thoughts, ideas, etc., would be greatly appreciated.

(P.S. Thanks for taking the time to read this. I know these types of questions must get old coming from me)

-Jay

Alexander Karatis 12-03-2003 02:17 AM

Bro,

They do get old coming from you! You know your stuff too well to be asking a question like that. Donīt get me wrong, we all need guidance and help, but getting a response from one of the guys here isnīt going to make it "official" for you...:happy:

With crossfit and a good diet, youīll soon see that a calorie is simply a tool you used to help educate yourself about nutrition. I donīt count them, but thats just me. I also eat plenty, and I do mean plenty and thatīs just me. Even on phases like the one Iīm going through now, where work wonīt let me get more than 3 days of exercise per week in, I still eat a lot and I still stay lean. Donīt worry about it that much.

Your psychological situation has a lot to do with feeling lethargic. With what you went through, I īd say its entirely normal.

BTW, if you donīt mind my asking, why is it hard for you to eat when hungry?

Jay Edvardz 12-03-2003 07:50 AM

For a while I was a very big boy at around 5'7 and 190 pounds (fat, not muscular). Long story shot, as I lost weight I took things too far and ended up an emaciated 110 pounds. Well I realized I look just as bad at 110 as I did at 190 so I started gaining. In about 5 months I have put on about 45 pounds and managed to stay at 10% bodyfat. To be quite honest, there is still that fear that I will get fat again. This is obviously a psychological demon I am dealing with.

To be quite honest, I would like to apologize to all you guys for all of these bs questions. The more I think about it, the less sense all of this makes. Alex, you're right, I know my stuff way too well to be asking these types of questions on the forum. I know what's good for me as well.

Holiday Resolution. I'll only ask questions on the board in regard to things I am not familiar with. This means that for the most part the only people who will have to deal with me are those reading the training/fitness threads :-) Of course, I will contribute when I feel as though I have something of worth to say.

Anyway guys, once again, sorry for the BS. As I said earlier, this is a psychological issue that I need to deal with based on things I have went through in my past. Thanks for all the help up to this point.

=Jay

David Wood 12-03-2003 08:47 PM

Jay:

If you want, e-mail me at davidjwood@cal.berkeley.edu and/or davidjwood@yahoo.com, with your e-mail address.

I'm not a shrink, but I can appreciate where you're coming from.

Dave