CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Women's/beginners/training Barbell (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=75111)

Mitch Medeiros 05-01-2012 09:53 AM

Women's/beginners/training Barbell

I am about to purchase my first light weight barbell (5-15kg) and I was wondering if anyone has any good feedback, good or bad.

Did a particular bar bend on the first drop? Has one lasted for a few years with very little wear?

Any info would be appreciated.

Stuart Bryden 05-01-2012 10:51 AM

Re: Women's/beginners/training Barbell

I have a wright HD bar which I (and my wife) think is great. Good price and lifetime warranty against bending/breaking (235USD). Knurling is not aggressive.

Andy Kauth 05-01-2012 11:34 AM

My wife has a 5 kg bar from Rogue (had for about two years or so)--no issues, knurling is not too agressive ... would purchase another ... all that said, we don't really drop it due to it being a 5 kg bar.

Our box (and the previous box we were with) has the 15 kg Bella bars from Rogue ... love these bars; just like the 20 kg bar ... great knurling. Have seen these used for 5+ years ... we did see one bend from it being carelessly dropped on a kettlebell or some freak accident like that (can't remember exactly how that happened). This is on my list of near-future purchases for our home gym.

Have not tried/worked with other brands to the extent that I would recommend or not recommend them over Rogue.

Lindy Hruska 05-01-2012 12:27 PM

I have a Rogue 45 lb bar that was cheap, and it has held up well.

I also have a York women's bar 33lb. Meh. it's just OK. Bumpers seem to catch on the ends and make it hard to get them on and off. Modest spin, OK for the few olympic lifts that I do.

I purchased the Pendlay Needle Bearing women's bar last year. It is awesome in every way. Spins like crazy, solid and feels good in my hands.

If I had to do all over again, I'd not purchase the York. I'd stick with Rogue or Pendlay.

Mike Hollister 05-01-2012 12:41 PM

I have a rogue bella bar. It's been great and they are quite durable. They do have a weight limit of ~300 lbs or so before they start to bend quite a bit but for sup 200 lbs loads it's perfect.

Katherine Derbyshire 05-02-2012 11:06 AM

Second the recommendation for the women's Pendlay Needle Bearing bar. My gym has one and I love it.

Note that it's a competition-grade oly bar, though. It might not be the best choice if you want something for primarily slow lifts or metcons.

Katherine

Dan Thomas 05-02-2012 11:16 AM

I made this bar (CF journal; wfs) for my wife, and she loves it. It can handle up to 65# easily, at which point you can transition to a standard bar with 10s. I found this bar particularly helpful for learning OHS.

DT

Paul Cahoon 05-02-2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Thomas (Post 1057454)
I made this bar (CF journal; wfs) for my wife, and she loves it. It can handle up to 65# easily, at which point you can transition to a standard bar with 10s. I found this bar particularly helpful for learning OHS.

DT

I did this for my wife also and it seems to be working out well for her.

Zane Jones 05-02-2012 04:07 PM

+1 on the rogue bella bar. Bought my wife one for christmas (in all black no less) and she loves it. It's held up really well so far and has a lifetime warranty.

Phil Griffin 05-03-2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zane Jones (Post 1057541)
+1 on the rogue bella bar. Bought my wife one for christmas (in all black no less) and she loves it. It's held up really well so far and has a lifetime warranty.

Man, I would love to get my wife to the point where I could buy her a Bella bar as a Christmas gift.