CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Just wanted to point out another horribly written Anti Paleo article!!! (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=70976)

Jonathan Polakowski 10-19-2011 12:55 PM

Just wanted to point out another horribly written Anti Paleo article!!!

Being an ACE certified professional this article makes me cringe and seems so self serving and loosely based its not even funny.

http://www.acefitness.org/certifiedn...fiedNews_1011#

Jonathan

Steve Liberati 10-19-2011 01:10 PM

Re: Just wanted to point out another horribly written Anti Paleo article!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Polakowski (Post 996846)
Being an ACE certified professional this article makes me cringe and seems so self serving and loosely based its not even funny.

Jonathan

Horrible is an understatement. The author's grammar is pathetic.

Zach S 10-19-2011 02:01 PM

I loled at ACE certified professional.

Jonathan Polakowski 10-19-2011 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach Schul (Post 996878)
I loled at ACE certified professional.

Hey its a good way to make a living. If you have something to say about that then were through.

Rob Samuels 10-19-2011 05:41 PM

I love this article! It draws attention to many of the issues I have with the paleo diet. Good find.

Preston Sprimont 10-19-2011 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Polakowski (Post 996846)

Jonathan

I didn't think the article was too bad at all. It had some good points about the pitfalls of following an uber-strict Paleo diet, and it did attempt to be fair in its assessment and pointed out the almost unarguably positive aspects of a Paleo diet (eliminating processed foods, fewer refined sugars, etc.). The last section of the article, "Is the Paleo Diet Even Healthy?", was a bit rubbish in my opinion. It steered away from discerning assessment and went more in the direction of 1990s food chain adherence and "whole grains are the holy grail of health" mentality. It also had some pretty awful quotes from apparent nutritional experts... Here's the one that really stood out to me:
Dr. Felicia Stoler, exercise physiologist and president of the Greater New York chapter of the American College of Sports Medicine, demurs: “Bread has been around for thousands of years, which means it can’t be that harmful. Rice is very popular everywhere. Something about starchy carbs is very appealing to most humans.”
Yikes.

All in all though, I don't think this article deserves the demonizing it's receiving.

Preston Sprimont 10-19-2011 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Liberati (Post 996853)
Horrible is an understatement. The author's grammar is pathetic.

Really? The grammar seemed just fine to me. Syntax is maybe a bit cluttered at points, but I didn't see any big errors.
This article exceeds many others out there, both in content and in syntax/grammar. Just because it is anti-Paleo doesn't make it utter crap.

Doug Blankenship 10-19-2011 08:21 PM

It's not bad at all. He brought up some good points.

Paulo Santos 10-20-2011 05:57 AM

This is the best comment on the article.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Stiglets (Post 996846)
So let me get this straight - ACE is ag advocating against a diet where lean proteins, healthy fats, vegetables and fruits, and whole unprocessed foods are the priority? And ACE is advocating diets that are comprised mostly of antinutrient processed gluten-based carbs that are contributing to the obesity and diabetes epidemic Americans face? Let's get in the 21st century ACE. While I don't subscribe to the Paleo diet, their nutrition principles are closer to mine than the ridiculously unsound Food Pyramid conspiracy that's based solely on government lobbyists and big Agriculture money. And I have been eating this way for 15 years and my health and blood labs just continue to improve, and my clients that adopt my nutrition style see an improvement across the board on their labs in as little as 60 days. Proof is in the pudding. This article, along with most other ACE nutrition articles, are unsound, based on no kind of true science, and very poorly written. We feed grains to livestock for what reason? To fatten them up! And we are doing the same thing to ourselves. We take the cows away from their green grass vegetable diet and what happens to the cow's lipid profile? Bye bye healthy lipid profile full of Omega 3s and CLA; and hello unhealthy lipid profile. I could go on for weeks on this subject.

Bill M. Hesse 10-20-2011 09:38 AM

I think that even a vegan can have decent health markers if they train right and are careful with what goes in their mouth and not have to supplement. Paleo too, but the issue as with anything like diet, exercise, religion, politics, etc is that people do get involved. Most people are just plain dump and couldn't eat healthily if they were surrounded by fields of grass feed animals and spinach. I take it all with a grain of salt because I don't underestimate the powers of idiocy.

Jordan K Smith 10-20-2011 10:03 AM

I did a rhetorical analysis picking apart a paleo article on blisstree.com for my english class and got an a. Good points or not, most antipaleo articles are so biased they make for weak arguments. But I find that goes for most nutrition articles in general.

Bryan Arciero 10-20-2011 04:19 PM

This article links to another article by US News (WFS), which states the following when asked the question "How much does it cost"

Quote:

Originally Posted by US News
It may be pricey—the produce section and meat counter are among the priciest corners of the grocery store.

Seriously, come 'on US News. I'm not suggesting you ride the wave of hyperbole by stating "crappy ice cream snacks are super cheap so will help those trying to cut costs on groceries" but are you really trying to crap on produce sections b/c they cost more money than processed canned stuff?

Dave Traeger 10-20-2011 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan Arciero (Post 997321)
This article links to another article by US News (WFS), which states the following when asked the question "How much does it cost"

Seriously, come 'on US News. I'm not suggesting you ride the wave of hyperbole by stating "crappy ice cream snacks are super cheap so will help those trying to cut costs on groceries" but are you really trying to crap on produce sections b/c they cost more money than processed canned stuff?

I guess it's different everywhere, but produce stuff is generally cheaper stuff.

A basket of veges and a kilo or 2 of meat would last a couple of days but the same spend would get you 1 premade microwavable or fastfood meal.

Tom Gerhard 10-25-2011 10:11 AM

I don't think it is the worst article ever written but ones like this are naturally going to incite a holy war. As someone who has followed both a strict Paleo diet (with great success) and less-strict one (also with great success) I agree that it is somewhat unsustainable from a practical standpoint. For example, I don't have the means to hunt wild game or purchase organically-raised meat.

However, I really have to call BS on the nutritional studies. I can't believe there are no studies on people who've been on a low-carb diet for five or more years. Also, I'm pretty sure a diet heavy on meaty protein and veggies will not make anyone gain fatty weight - but maybe that's just me.

Rob Samuels 10-25-2011 12:22 PM

I don't think its a stretch to say there are no studies on low carbers out to five years because quite simply the low carb life style for the masses is generally unsustainable. I know many disagree but 9 out of 10 of those people have been low carb for a year or less.

The problem is, as with any diet involving restriction of some food or food(s) is that we will slowly begin to seek out variety and substitutions. I say because we are seeking what we were meant to eat.

It’s easy for someone to start a diet low in carbs and yes I include paleo because in general people on paleo are low carb if for no other reason than by accident. I know it doesn’t have to be low carb but it usually works out that way.

If you were born and raised eating only beef and spinach well that might be one thing but our bodies have adapted, evolved and want many of the foods not on a traditional low carb or paleo diet. I dont buy this BS about 10,000 years of evolution isnt enough to eat grain and all that other garbage.

People dont stay on low carb diets, they either break down and hit the carbs with a vengeance or they start looking for substitutions which ultimately end up not being any better for us than just eating the item we are avoiding in the first place. Low carb breads are a great example. Soy meat for the vegans is another. I find it ironic that vegans make veggie substitutes of meat. If you are eating a product that is supposed to simulate meat then doesn’t that mean you want meat? You like the look of meat, the taste of meat, the texture of meat but your morally superior because you don’t eat meat? It’s like lesbians favoring toys that simulate the male anatomy, I don’t get it.

Anyway same with low carbers they scour the net looking for recipes and products to simulate all the things they so badly want but "can't have" Eventually they start gorging themselves on all these "low carb" alternatives until, guess what? They are fat again and can't figure out what happened, I mean that loaf of bread was low carb dammit!

Unsustainable diets don’t have long term health studies because, well they are unsustainable. The advocates point to things like cholesterol levels and proudly proclaim that on paleo all my cholesterol numbers became normal! Well vegans say the same things. Two completely different diets both improve health markers? hmmm Interesting yes?

The bigger issue is even people who will eventually say I have followed a paleo diet for 5 years, probably really have not followed a paleo diet. Who is to say exactly what that diet is anyway? What they really did was clean up most of the processed crap in their diet which is probably responsible for the improved health, not the fact they didnt have a slice of bread.

I wonder if one day we will have studies of long term strict paleo folks and discover that long term; the diet improves certain markers for health only to the detriment of others? Tom you are perfectly healthy except this colon cancer caused by your diet. Who is to say? We just don’t know.

Paleos like to say cavemen were perfectly healthy but because of their environment died early. Well we don’t know exactly how healthy they were, do we?