CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Exercises (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Stalled on press, even going backwards (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=52101)

Blair Robert Lowe 11-06-2009 02:19 AM

Re: Stalled on press, even going backwards

James, if you think it's your midline, evaluate how much midline strength you have? Can you DL and squat a lot of weight (BS&FS)? I can do a decent amount but my core strength from a lot of gymnastics leaves me no doubt when it comes to midline strength, or I'd like to think so.

Gordon Cooke 11-06-2009 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacob Cloud (Post 679883)
Yep, time to get some 1.25lb plates. Made a HUGE difference for me, and helped me blow right past my previous sticking points. Also, follow the program better, and make sure you're eating enough to recover.

:yeahthat:

To the OP. I am having the same issue with my press. Stuck at 125 for sets of 5 and 135 for singles and doubles. I just got a set of fractional plates to break through this plateau. I know Rippetoe has mentioned this for breaking through plateaus, especially the press.

Clinton Canaday 11-06-2009 07:50 AM

Well, I've thought of doing extra work, but I've always wondered whether that is smart. I've read elsewhere that doing the WOD's by themselves is all that I SHOULD do to expect full recovery and gains. That said, when and at what intensity should I get in some extra work? The only time that I work on my weaknesses is during warm-ups, which means that it's not high intensity and I'm likely to not see much benefit aside from technique (i.e. no strength gains). I also use the rest day like an extended warm-up. I guess I'm worried after having overdid it with CFFB (I don't think my core was ready for that).

Andy Gann 11-06-2009 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Low (Post 680150)
Fractional plates won't help when this is happening.

So.. sorry to the other people who commented about fractional plates

This is what I think also. I remember reading from the ************ program that too many pull ups (fran) will interfere with your pressing.

Try a week with no pull ups (other than the 3 sets on Monday) and no other OH work and see what happens. Rest more between sets, too ....

Clinton Canaday 11-06-2009 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Gann (Post 692053)
This is what I think also. I remember reading from the ************ program that too many pull ups (fran) will interfere with your pressing.

Try a week with no pull ups (other than the 3 sets on Monday) and no other OH work and see what happens. Rest more between sets, too ....

So...stronger lats (or other muscles involved in the pull-up) are fighting the press? I've heard of muscle groups fighting each other, especially chest and back, but I would say that you just need to keep pushing to overcome it. For every pull, do a push.

...Now that I think about it, we do a lot more pulling than pressing in terms of volume, like today's WOD (for me), which is the pull-up ladder. Any WOD that involves both is at most 1:1 (off the top of my head), like Fran...Filthy 50 is more push-oriented (barely)...I don't know. Any thoughts?

Andy Gann 11-06-2009 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clinton Canaday (Post 692110)
So...stronger lats (or other muscles involved in the pull-up) are fighting the press? I've heard of muscle groups fighting each other, especially chest and back, but I would say that you just need to keep pushing to overcome it. For every pull, do a push.

...Now that I think about it, we do a lot more pulling than pressing in terms of volume, like today's WOD (for me), which is the pull-up ladder. Any WOD that involves both is at most 1:1 (off the top of my head), like Fran...Filthy 50 is more push-oriented (barely)...I don't know. Any thoughts?

No. Not fighting each other. The OP mentioned a linear progression-type program.

If your goal is to add weight to the bar every week (linear progression) then you need to adequately recover and adapt to the previous stress. If you press on Monday (like in Wichita Falls) and then do ring dips on Tuesday and then Fran on Friday then you may not have given your body what it needed to recover and adapt from your press workout on Monday.

You have to decide what you are training for and focus. If you are training for strength (increases on the press every workout), then you need adequate recovery ... and fractional plates. :-)

Clinton Canaday 11-06-2009 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Gann (Post 692138)
No. Not fighting each other. The OP mentioned a linear progression-type program.

If your goal is to add weight to the bar every week (linear progression) then you need to adequately recover and adapt to the previous stress. If you press on Monday (like in Wichita Falls) and then do ring dips on Tuesday and then Fran on Friday then you may not have given your body what it needed to recover and adapt from your press workout on Monday.

You have to decide what you are training for and focus. If you are training for strength (increases on the press every workout), then you need adequate recovery ... and fractional plates. :-)

I am not training for anything in particular. I'm not an athlete. I just want GPP. I was following CFFB, which includes a strength regiment, from March to August. I was not making progress in the press after several months using 5lb increments even with Zone/Paleo + Dairy @ 1:1 gr protein per # BW and 2x fat and plenty of (good?) sleep. I am trying to stick to Crossfit main for now (because CFFB left my lower back in a perpetual state of soreness/stiffness), scaling to what I think is my ability level (usually heavier), but I will add the fractionals when strength days come up.

...Sound like a plan?

Gonzalo Fernandez 11-06-2009 12:10 PM

Save your money on overpriced fractional plates.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...0159694&ucst=t
(w/f/s)

A set of these weights in at 1.26 lbs and costs $6.

Clinton Canaday 11-06-2009 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzalo Fernandez (Post 692177)
Save your money on overpriced fractional plates.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...0159694&ucst=t
(w/f/s)

A set of these weights in at 1.26 lbs and costs $6.

Not a bad idea...or hang a small sack of rocks from each end of the bar or something. Easy to make, easy to weigh for accuracy.

Ryan Webernick 11-06-2009 01:12 PM

I think we are drifting a bit off topic, but how much does an actual 1.25 pound plate cost?