CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   A gallon of milk? (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=23633)

Brandon Oto 02-06-2008 09:53 AM

Re: A gallon of milk?

I would dance in the streets if drinking nothing but milk were a good diet. Think how wonderfully easy that would be.

Jonathan Greene 02-06-2008 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Cummings (Post 253412)
Johnathan, no I do not know of any studies. It is my opinion that drinking a gallon of milk a day is a great strategy for someone who wants to gain weight. The following is speculation on my part. That being said I doubt it is the best option for longterm health when compared with something like Paleo/Zone. So perhaps eating Meats nuts vegetables etc is 80% of the way to a "perfect" diet. Supposing that Paleo/Zone is 95% of the "perfect: diet. I would, based on absolutely nothing but my own opinions put drinking a gallon of milk in addition to Paleo/Zone at say 72%. As I was kind enough to respond directly to your question would you consider ranking them for me and let me know if your hypothetical ranking comes out much different?

Sure thing. Based on my experiences and everything I have learned about nutrition up to this point, I would tend to agree with you for the most part.

Eating "in the Zone" is fantastic for the reasons we all know. I don't know about calling it perfect but eating in Zone ratios would seem to best all others and the plan is simple to follow. Limiting food choices to Paleo offers further refinement. Paleo is more restrictive but many feel it offers them superior nutrition. I tend to agree with the Paleo guys as well but....

Personally, I still consume dairy products as they offer me convenience and variety. I also feel they do not compromise "optimum nutrition" for me significantly, if at all.

The reason I quoted your post specifically was you used the words "before any "real damage" is done." To me your statements implied that you believed someone could do permanent or significant damage to themselves by drinking a gallon of milk a day for around 6 months to 2 years.

I wanted to know how you came to this opinion and if you had any evidence that you could show me to support it.

Jacob Vohs 02-06-2008 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Greene (Post 253527)
Sure thing. Based on my experiences and everything I have learned about nutrition up to this point, I would tend to agree with you for the most part.

Eating "in the Zone" is fantastic for the reasons we all know. I don't know about calling it perfect but eating in Zone ratios would seem to best all others and the plan is simple to follow. Limiting food choices to Paleo offers further refinement. Paleo is more restrictive but many feel it offers them superior nutrition. I tend to agree with the Paleo guys as well but....

Personally, I still consume dairy products as they offer me convenience and variety. I also feel they do not compromise "optimum nutrition" for me significantly, if at all.

The reason I quoted your post specifically was you used the words "before any "real damage" is done." To me your statements implied that you believed someone could do permanent or significant damage to themselves by drinking a gallon of milk a day for around 6 months to 2 years.

I wanted to know how you came to this opinion and if you had any evidence that you could show me to support it.

I'm guessing this has to do with the saturated fat in whole milk. I am not knowledgeable about this but I think that having all that saturated fat could lead to high blood pressure from clogging arteries. Don't quote me on that though.

James Napier 02-06-2008 01:14 PM

What about cheese?
Kraft single slices are advertised as the equivalent of a cup of milk.
So 16 slices of chese or one gallon of milk.
I don't drink milk anymore but I do eat a lot of varieties of cheese (a lot less than 16 slices quantity a day) along with my tea and paleo on IF.
I have been gaining strength but my body fat % is probably closer to 20%.
Strength gains may just because I'm a xfit-noob (18 months).
So, does anyone have any argument against various cheeses instead of milk?

Nick Cummings 02-06-2008 01:32 PM

Thanks for clarifying for me Johnathan! I was curious if we were mostly in agreement or not and upon expanding on your belief I would consider us to hold mostly similiar opinions.

Nikki Young 02-07-2008 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek Heinonen (Post 225588)
Some ideas: spread it out. Have a quart at breakfast. Don't try to do it all at once, but just work it a glass here, a glass there, throughout the day. I like to have most of my milk AFTER meals, because it's easier to chug a glass than force yourself to eat after you've dranked a bunch of milk.

I would think though, it would be a good idea to not consume the milk with a higher fat meal.. Sugar+fat= easy fat storage. So it could also be an option to leave the milk for breakfast, PWO shake and just before bed about 2hrs after dinner in order to try and avoid this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Greene (Post 253254)
If there are any studies that show any short term or long term issues with a healthy, lactose tolerant person consuming a gallon of milk in addition to a healthy diet I am not aware of them and would love to see them if they exist.

This article may be of interest:
http://www.4.waisays.com/ExcessiveCalcium.htm

Also, i know there seems to be a bit of 'i heard this i heard that' going on. But i heard :p that Brendan drank the gallon of milk while on the metabolic diet? Could be completely un-true, but just thought see if anyone knows if it's true or not?

Tim Luby 02-07-2008 08:17 AM

Where can I get raw milk? Anyone in the NYC/NJ area have an answer on this? Thanks!

Win Featherston 02-07-2008 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Jordan (Post 253064)
I don't think raw milk is illegal, just selling it. Goats need less food/space than dogs...though wal-mart doesn't sell hay. If you have a yard you might give it a try. In some states, farmers get around the law by selling customers shares in a cow/goat. Then they have access to their own animal's product. You might see if something like that is available.

...late to the party as always. Sorry.

Now I need to find a place to buy a goat!

Does anyone know if a single goat can produce a gallon of milk a day, or do I need to find a "buy one get one free" coupon?

Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer 02-07-2008 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Napier (Post 253535)
What about cheese?
Kraft single slices are advertised as the equivalent of a cup of milk.
So 16 slices of chese or one gallon of milk.
I don't drink milk anymore but I do eat a lot of varieties of cheese (a lot less than 16 slices quantity a day) along with my tea and paleo on IF.
I have been gaining strength but my body fat % is probably closer to 20%.
Strength gains may just because I'm a xfit-noob (18 months).
So, does anyone have any argument against various cheeses instead of milk?

Interesting that you mentioned cheese. I've recently added it to my otherwise paleo diet and have had some great increases in my strength. If you love it, and it travels easier than milk, and most of all, your GI tract can take it, go for it. When you've reached certain strength goals, you might want to tweak that if you're looking for more leaness. Are you getting a lot of animal fat in the rest of your diet? I try to get omega 3 along with meals containing cheese.

Jason M Struck 02-07-2008 11:57 AM

I gained about 19 pounds of muscle in 6 weeks drinking about 40-60oz of 1% a day to bring my calories up to about 3000-3500 (I started at 156@13%, and went to about 173@9%).

I have written something of a lab report style account of it, but have no where to publish it right now.

My version of 'squats and milk' etc.

As far as lactose etc... I have been a vegetarian for about 11 years. I haven't really consumed much of any kind of milk for about the last 5 years+. I assumed that this would not work, but I actually really enjoyed the milk, liked the way I felt, and was never nauseous. Which is saying something, because I basically doubled my caloric intake and reduced my caloric expenditure.