CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   A gallon of milk? (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=23633)

Zach Forrest 02-08-2008 11:51 PM

Re: A gallon of milk?

In my opinion, there are two main differences in gaining your protein/carb/fat calories from whole milk vs. protein. One is the ratio of intake. Whole milk has a great ratio of protein to simple carb(lactose) to fat grams which is near ideal for promoting growth in the average human (which is why the female produces it in the first place).

The second is the type of carb and protein gained. Milk carb is a unique lactose/glucose combo that isn't found naturally anywhere else (that I'm aware of anyways). Glucose is ready for immediate utilization in the muscles as soon as the body is able to ingest it. Lactose is a little bit more complex (but still considered a simple carb) and is about two digestive steps behind straight glucose. This allows for a pretty consistant feed of carbs to the body.

There are two proteins found in milk: casein and whey. The latter is the fastest digesting protein and usually has a higher Biological Value than most other proteins (meaning the body utilizes it more easily). Casein is a protein that has a longer digestive uptake time than whey, but has near the same BV. Again, this allows a steady flow of protein to the body after consumption.

Couple this with the fat (which is used to regulate Insulin-like Growth Factor and Testosterone in the body) and you have a very potent mass builder.

So, to answer your question...in my opinion, I'd mix 'em. :kicking0: Let me know if it tastes decent...do they have chocolate?

Joe Waguespack 02-09-2008 03:55 AM

Yeah the Chocolate tastes amazing also. I won't be trying this myself since that wouldn't coincide with my present goals, but I think it would be interesting to see the results.

Eric Lester 02-09-2008 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Waguespack (Post 254885)
but it is relatively inexpensive and is just a high quality whey with added BCAA's and glucose. It might be worth a try for anyone curious.

I believe it has casein too, not just whey. From what I have seen few protein supps contain casein.

Damon Stewart 02-09-2008 11:51 PM

I'm going to give this a try when I get back from the level II cert next week so we'll have some empirical results. I've been CF'ing 2 + years, 835 CFT, 6' and 165 lbs. I'd like to get to 180. I haven't drank milk since around 1995 so I'm going to start with 1/2 gallon per day and work my way up. Once I've started I'll start a separate thread and will also blog it at my affiliate site.

Zach Forrest 02-10-2008 01:56 AM

That's awesome Damon, I'll look forward to seeing what happens. I actually am also starting a 12 weeks SS mod tomorrow...milk intake won't be at a gallon per day, but only 1/2 gallon. I'll be posting strength/weight increases every three weeks or so.

Joe Waguespack 02-10-2008 06:23 AM

Maybe you guys could try the half gallon mixed with the Surge I was talking about. It'll cut down on the volume of drinking a full gallon and will load you up with aminos and calories. Just a thought. I would turn into a blob if I tried it.

Nick Cummings 02-10-2008 01:08 PM

I do not buy Biotest products as they often insult CrossFit, but thats just me.

Micah Tanner 02-11-2008 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Roddy (Post 215171)
Raw milk is illegal here in MI, unfortunately. I'd love to try it though. Someday, when I move out of this crap state, haha.

Kevin,

Check your private messages. I live in Michigan and have been getting raw milk for years. I sent you information on a raw milk source in Michigan - haven't tried this particular source, but the co-op I get my milk through is no longer taking on new members.

Joe Waguespack 02-11-2008 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Cummings (Post 255501)
I do not buy Biotest products as they often insult CrossFit, but thats just me.

Really? I have never heard that. I usually see a lot of stuff on T-nation (biotest's web site) that actually supports much of the same type of training. They even had an article recently about the benefits of the Tabata methods.I must have missed something. What do they say about Crossfit?

Nick Cummings 02-11-2008 01:10 PM

I do not want to take this thread off topic and venture into an area the mods will disagree with so I will simply add that if one frequintly reads t-nations articles one will get some interesting training ideas and about once or twice a month there will be a cheap shot at CrossFit. I think it is a joke to them and I continue to read their site despite the fact, but I no longer purchase their products.