CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Starting (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Getting bigger while using cf (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=1162)

Marc Johnson 01-25-2006 04:45 PM

I would like to get a littel more muscle on my frame. How do you hardcore cf'ers train to gain size? I still would like to use cf for its performance benefits, but I do need to be a little bit bigger.
Thanks.

Mark Gebhard 01-25-2006 05:17 PM

If you want to gain muscle (and obviously not fat) the first thing to get in order is diet. What are you eating currently? The recommendation here is the Zone diet or Zone/Paleo. Once you're following the Zone consistently and know your number of Zone blocks per day, you generally get down to the bodyfat % you want and then add fat blocks (or just more Zone blocks for some people) to add mass.

Ryan Norman 01-25-2006 08:40 PM

Marc,
It's been my experience that following something like the One lift a Day program with Crossfit works well. Do a search for Black Box as well. Not only will you get quite a bit better at the lifts you choose, but should gain some size. Again, just my experience.

Anthony Bainbridge 01-26-2006 09:54 AM

Eat more calories than you burn.

Orlando Alonso 01-26-2006 12:27 PM

Ryan that's a cool avatar.

David Wood 01-26-2006 12:50 PM

Just to refine the search proposed by Ryan (a little) . . . search on CrossFit.com for the phrase "ME Black Box" . . . it refers to a variation of CrossFit developed by Coach Michael Rutheford (CrossFit KC affiliate http://www.crossfitkc.com/) that adds extra focus on "Max Effort" days. Will definitely boost strength and size.

Steven Stackpole 01-26-2006 12:53 PM

Marc
Spend some time getting used to the intensity and the exercises, learning the movements. For different people that will be different lengths of time.
Once you feel comfortable with the regular cycle, start emphasizing the Max effort days. I do atleast one ME day per 3 day cycle. I still want the Met.con. that comes with the reg. crossfit routine. Check out Michael Rutherfords Max effort routine.
After a year Crossfitting, I've crept over the 265lb. mark, which is not what I wanted, but my performance still seems to be increasing.
I can give you more info. if you like.

Michael Ledney 01-26-2006 01:59 PM

The WOD all by itself will put more muscle on your frame. Couple it with thoughtful and consistent diet choices and you'll be kicking sand in no time.

To Steve's point above, ME days help, but if you've been watching those are coming pretty frequently of late. Since 30-Dec 6 of 21 WODs have been ME type (counting Linda). Go back to 1-Dec and it's 11 of 43, back to 4-Nov and it's 16 of 63. Closer to 1 in 4 but still a pretty good ratio, and something that looks like it's being consciously pursued by the moderators.

When I switched from powerlifting to crossfitting last April I wasn't small. I was a 225# with ~15% BF. Just doing the WOD for a few months got my BF down in the 10-12% range at a constant body weight, didn't really notice anything visually though.

In Sept I started eating 20 block zone 5 days a week (sat/sun I still eat zone ratios but don't count my total blocks) and have seen some increase in muscle seperation, my deltoids have popped out, I have 4 pack abs, blah, blah, blah. Got on the scale the other night after the WOD and was shocked to see that I weigh 244. Not my goal at all, but my performances have been good and improving, so I'm not complaining.

Consider this a very long winded way of restating the CF mantra of WOD and diet, sorry for the rant.

Steven Stackpole 01-26-2006 05:03 PM

Michael
I've seen a lot of rants here lately.

Yours is not one of them :-)

Butch White 01-26-2006 10:22 PM

Ha!... that's pretty funny Steveo! :wink: