CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Paleo and Peanuts? (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=82261)

Matt Schrock 05-28-2013 10:08 AM

Paleo and Peanuts?

I have always enjoyed peanuts and peanut butter, I know that they are not Paleo approved, but I am wondering if it is solely because they are a legume or is it because of some other negative health effect?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

-Matt Schrock

Joey Shishineh 05-28-2013 11:05 AM

Re: Paleo and Peanuts?

Mark's daily apple Articles on this subject (WFS)

Michael Dries 05-28-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Schrock (Post 1168136)
I have always enjoyed peanuts and peanut butter, I know that they are not Paleo approved, but I am wondering if it is solely because they are a legume or is it because of some other negative health effect?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

-Matt Schrock

Do you notice any particular side effects from eating peanuts? If not you're probably fine, best bet is to find as pure a peanut butter as possible without added sugar and other oils.

Chris Jones 05-29-2013 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Dries (Post 1168216)
Do you notice any particular side effects from eating peanuts? If not you're probably fine, best bet is to find as pure a peanut butter as possible without added sugar and other oils.

i agree, i like the Smuckers brand Natural Peanut Butter. The ONLY ingredient is peanuts, and >1% of salt so thats no biggie to me. Plus its freakin delicious :kicking0:

Should be able to find it at any Wal-Mart or other big grocery store.

Joe Bernard 05-29-2013 06:35 PM

Trader Joe's Creamy Salted PB is ridiculously good, only ingredients are peanuts and salt. Life is too short to not eat peanut butter.

Joey Shishineh 05-30-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Bernard (Post 1168518)
Trader Joe's Creamy Salted PB is ridiculously good, only ingredients are peanuts and salt. Life is too short to not eat peanut butter.

finished a jar of this in 2 days and my wife was like "where the EFF did that jar of peanut butter go?" :pepper:

Richard Deyan 05-30-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Dries (Post 1168216)

I think that question should certainly be answered only after cutting peanuts out of the diet completely for at least 30 days.

I don't really think nuts should be on the "ok" list for Paleo anyways in terms of foods that are ok. In terms of n-6:n-3 levels it should be really "every once in a while is fine in small amounts"

Chris Jones 05-30-2013 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey Shishineh (Post 1168652)
finished a jar of this in 2 days and my wife was like "where the EFF did that jar of peanut butter go?" :pepper:

well done sir :highfive:

Joe Bernard 05-31-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey Shishineh (Post 1168652)

Hah nice! The stuff is so addicting. Try putting it on a sliced up banana and then freeze it for a couple hours. It tastes so good, kind of like soft serve PB ice cream. I eat all my fruit frozen now, I like the crunch, a little weird but oh well heh.