CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Nik (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=33554)

Nik Nichols 08-26-2009 01:19 PM

Re: Nik

[QUOTE=Ernie Guevara;652580]Great improvement on Nate nik! I knew u were gonna do much better this time. Did u Kip on the muscle ups?[/QUOTE]

Thanks Ernie. Do not yet, I haven't tried to learn it, I'm working on false grip and staying on the rings for more then one go.

Nik Nichols 08-26-2009 01:20 PM

3:00 break.
3x3 deadlift 275lbs
3 MU's for fun.

Jesse Emers 08-26-2009 06:10 PM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;652589]Thanks Ernie. Do not yet, I haven't tried to learn it, I'm working on false grip and staying on the rings for more then one go.[/QUOTE]

Nik your crazy! Once you get that kip on the MUs, your scores are going to skyrocket. It should be a priority!

Nik Nichols 08-27-2009 06:15 AM

[QUOTE=Jesse Emers;652743]Nik your crazy! Once you get that kip on the MUs, your scores are going to skyrocket. It should be a priority![/QUOTE]

HAHAHA why am I crazy? As for the MU's I want to be able to pull into a fals grip from a hang, and do multipal MU's deadhang. I want the basics down befor I try to kip and go faster. I'm afraid if I work the kip first , the rest will be frogotten for speed. ( really I know that is what will happen) Do you think my plan is wise? Or am I over thinking it. Brady thinks I should work the kip to. But I gave him the same argument.

Oh you call me crazy?! I saw the madness you drempt up for the challenge, I think you are the pot and I'm the kettel.:rofl:

I'm itching for the challenge, but will be resting today.

Jesse Emers 08-27-2009 08:28 AM

Good call on the rest day Nik. I would say start kipping immediately and the false grip/consecutives will come in time just by doing the workouts. I don't have much experience with training anyone but myself, but it seems to make sense to me. I think your progress will be slower the way you are doing it because it requires alot of strength development along with technique. Kipping is all technique and you'll get stronger while practicing it.

Ernie Guevara 08-27-2009 10:43 AM

I agree with Jesse on this Nik. As a matter of fact I never new I could do a dead hang muscle up until like a month ago! I learned he false grip by practicing the kipping muscle ups. All the pullups we do get u strong enough to develop the deadhang muscleup. Especially u with all that pullup strength. And remember it's about speed and intensity when the AMRAP in 20 minutes wods come up.

Camille Lore 08-27-2009 11:04 AM

Guess I'd be the outlier here to say learn deadhang, but I'm a bit retentive about doing things "right" or the hard way!

Of course I am nowhere near a muscle up, so :rofl:

Nik Nichols 08-27-2009 03:25 PM

[QUOTE=Jesse Emers;653077]Good call on the rest day Nik. I would say start kipping immediately and the false grip/consecutives will come in time just by doing the workouts. I don't have much experience with training anyone but myself, but it seems to make sense to me. I think your progress will be slower the way you are doing it because it requires alot of strength development along with technique. Kipping is all technique and you'll get stronger while practicing it.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Ernie Guevara;653161]I agree with Jesse on this Nik. As a matter of fact I never new I could do a dead hang muscle up until like a month ago! I learned he false grip by practicing the kipping muscle ups. All the pullups we do get u strong enough to develop the deadhang muscleup. Especially u with all that pullup strength. And remember it's about speed and intensity when the AMRAP in 20 minutes wods come up.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Camille Lore;653174]Guess I'd be the outlier here to say learn deadhang, but I'm a bit retentive about doing things "right" or the hard way!

Of course I am nowhere near a muscle up, so :rofl:[/QUOTE]
You all make good points. What keeps coming back to me is I still cannot ''climb'' into a fals grip from a hang, so I don't even think I can kip a MU without it. So I will be working to get the false grip down. I can get it fine from a standing position it is just figuring it out. Once I get that all else is fine. I get that I got the deadhang down. I get that then it is just kip practice and I think my kip will transfer easy enough.

any thoughts on that?

Leon Robotham 08-27-2009 03:47 PM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;652296]10:00 break, just streched and preped for ''Nate''. Forgot to post this mornings challenge workout

7:00am
for time
20 burpees
3 rounds
560m run(guessed the distance, the guts of 800m rought)
10 reps C&J 130lbs
20 burpees

time 22:42[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Jesse Emers;653077]Good call on the rest day Nik. I would say start kipping immediately and the false grip/consecutives will come in time just by doing the workouts. I don't have much experience with training anyone but myself, but it seems to make sense to me. I think your progress will be slower the way you are doing it because it requires alot of strength development along with technique. Kipping is all technique and you'll get stronger while practicing it.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with this. Crack on and get to learning the kip or should I say apply the kip because you can already do it. It won't take you long before you've got it working for MUs.

Nik Nichols 08-27-2009 09:26 PM

Overhead Squat 3-3-3-3-3 reps

1. 125lbs
2. 135lbs
3. 135lbs
4. 145lbs
5. 150lbs

last time max
135 old PR

I had no choise to come up tonight and get this done or not workout. It really felt good. Active shoulders, good depth, I still had gas in the tank. I looked at my last max and thought 125 was a good place to start.

Thanks again Jesse on the max rep set up, it is continually working.