CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Testimonials (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight? (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=68678)

David Baxter 07-30-2011 03:42 AM

Re: Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight?

[I]congrats !!!![/I]

Bethany L Graham 08-05-2011 06:41 PM

I started Crossfit in May 2010 and was what I thought was 100 pounds overweight. After bodyfat testing, it was more like 90 pounds overweight. I have eaten semi-Paleo this whole time and have lost 45 pounds of fat and gained 5 pounds of muscle. When I say semi, I mean about 75% of the time-allowing myself freedom when I ate out or when on vacations.

I am very happy with my progress because this is my lifestyle now - it is not a diet for me. I still have 45 more pounds to go, but have no question that I will go the whole way. From the beginning, I said it would probably take 2 years to do it right and really establish this as my lifestyle and I am on that trajectory.

I am now starting to eat Paleo closer to 90% of the time. I feel better when I eat Paleo and have finally been able to make the mental shift over.

The most important thing I would say to anyone starting with a huge amount of weight to lose is this - do not approach Crossfit as a quick fix diet and exercise program. This is a life change and it requires a change of mind. It takes time. Give yourself grace. If you go off the reservation or skip a workout, so what? Get up, dust yourself off and keep going. If you can, figure out why you made the decision you did and make a different one next time.

Crossfit and Paleo are the best decisions I ever made for my life and now I have tons of friends trying it because they love what they have seen in my life - results...but more than that...passion and joy. You can do this. Remember fueling your body is 80% of this battle. Treat it well by what you put in it...it will also blow you away at how much of a difference it makes at Crossfit!

Yes, my strength has increased, my endurance has increased, my joy for life is back. Do it. You won't regret it.

David Baxter 08-05-2011 09:48 PM

[QUOTE=Bethany L Graham;971230]I started Crossfit in May 2010 and was what I thought was 100 pounds overweight. After bodyfat testing, it was more like 90 pounds overweight. I have eaten semi-Paleo this whole time and have lost 45 pounds of fat and gained 5 pounds of muscle. When I say semi, I mean about 75% of the time-allowing myself freedom when I ate out or when on vacations.

I am very happy with my progress because this is my lifestyle now - it is not a diet for me. I still have 45 more pounds to go, but have no question that I will go the whole way. From the beginning, I said it would probably take 2 years to do it right and really establish this as my lifestyle and I am on that trajectory.

I am now starting to eat Paleo closer to 90% of the time. I feel better when I eat Paleo and have finally been able to make the mental shift over.

The most important thing I would say to anyone starting with a huge amount of weight to lose is this - do not approach Crossfit as a quick fix diet and exercise program. This is a life change and it requires a change of mind. It takes time. Give yourself grace. If you go off the reservation or skip a workout, so what? Get up, dust yourself off and keep going. If you can, figure out why you made the decision you did and make a different one next time.

Crossfit and Paleo are the best decisions I ever made for my life and now I have tons of friends trying it because they love what they have seen in my life - results...but more than that...passion and joy. You can do this. Remember fueling your body is 80% of this battle. Treat it well by what you put in it...it will also blow you away at how much of a difference it makes at Crossfit!

Yes, my strength has increased, my endurance has increased, my joy for life is back. Do it. You won't regret it.[/QUOTE]

awesome bloody awesome

Eric Robison 08-06-2011 06:39 PM

I started CrossFit/Paleo just after Easter. I weighed in at my heaviest ever at 204lbs at 5-10 and 31yo. I was determined to change and I am currently at 180 (-24lbs). I feel better than I have in a long time. I wish that I had taken a before picture. I plan on getting a body fat comp done soon in a BodPod. My goal by the end of the month is to be down to 18% body fat.

David Baxter 08-06-2011 10:24 PM

[QUOTE=Eric Robison;971522]I started CrossFit/Paleo just after Easter. I weighed in at my heaviest ever at 204lbs at 5-10 and 31yo. I was determined to change and I am currently at 180 (-24lbs). I feel better than I have in a long time. I wish that I had taken a before picture. I plan on getting a body fat comp done soon in a BodPod. My goal by the end of the month is to be down to 18% body fat.[/QUOTE]

Hey Eric !! another Sandgroper !!!;)

Bethany France 08-10-2011 01:28 PM

I have lost 60 pounds in about 5 months - my goal is to lose a total of 100 by January 2012. To see photos and read about all of my ups and downs...check out my blog at:

[url]www.fatmomtohealthymom.blogspot.com[/url]

Crossfit is the best thing that ever happened to me...seriously!:)

Jonathan Groves 08-13-2011 04:54 PM

[url]http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=69494[/url] wfs

Dave Traeger 08-13-2011 08:25 PM

[QUOTE=David Baxter;971563]Hey Eric !! another Sandgroper !!!;)[/QUOTE]

No, that's WA as in Washington, not Western Australia :rofl:

Shelly Griswold 08-14-2011 06:20 AM

Wow! I'm so glad to have found this thread. At this point, I only have a "before" picture. I am 46 years old and have been working with a CF trainer for 7 weeks now. I started at 39.2% BF and 286#. My first day I could barely make it through a super-scaled-back WOD (What's more scaled than "puppy"? That's what it was.)

Seven weeks later, I've already seen some nice gains, especially in my endurance. I work on the 3rd floor and was winded by the time I reached the top - now I jog up the stairs every morning. I used to be athletic (long, long ago) and have read that if you have ever been in shape, your body has a memory of that and can get that back. Maybe that's true, because I am stunned by how much more in shape I am after only 7 weeks.

More importantly, I see MENTAL gains. When I started, I was scared to death that if I exerted myself too much, I was going to keel over with a heart attack. I'm so over that now. And I was so self-conscious about how I looked in the gym with all the fit and trim people. Over that, too. I go there, bust my butt like everyone else, and have nothing to be ashamed about, as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for the inspirational before and after pics! I can't wait to post my own very soon!

Steve Gillanders 08-14-2011 11:18 AM

Awesome thread!

You guys are all really inspiring :thanx: