CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Stuff and Nonsense (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Paying for Paleo in College (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=53413)

Aidan Macdonald 11-30-2009 09:54 PM

Paying for Paleo in College

Any college students have tips on eating Paleo. It will be my first chance to go mostly Paleo. Also, I am going to go to UC Santa Cruz so specifics are welcome.

I plan on getting a job, so money shouldn't be much more of an issue than normal. But cooking the food will be, and all the social issues of living well!

Renee Lee 12-01-2009 06:55 AM

Re: Paying for Paleo in College

are you living in an apt or in a dorm? either way, get a crock pot and/or a foreman grill. (clean up will be a little more awkward in a dorm, but still doable)

i bought chicken quarters for $.69/lb yesterday. the pork butt was a little more expensive at $1.09/lb

shop seasonally/locally for fruits and vegetables. If you aren't buying organic, these will be tend to be cheaper. (I miss the .89/lb apple days of sept. and oct.) winter's always tough, but i believe grapes and oranges are in season...and root veggies (beets, turnips, etc) are as well.

Scott Stevens 12-01-2009 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renee Lee (Post 703811)
oranges are in season

CLEMENTINES!!!!!

Aidan Macdonald 12-01-2009 10:34 AM

I will be in dorms, but I don't think there will be a stove or cooking area. How did you cook food (or should I eat raw meat)

Renee Lee 12-01-2009 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aidan Macdonald (Post 703936)
I will be in dorms, but I don't think there will be a stove or cooking area. How did you cook food (or should I eat raw meat)

like i said...get a foreman grill and/or a crockpot...

David McGlame 12-01-2009 08:08 PM

Most school cafe's have enough stations to put something paleo together although there won't be much variety. Although with all the beer I drank in college I can't say I'm an expert on keeping paleo in college. Good luck

John Casey 12-01-2009 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David McGlame (Post 704288)
with all the beer I drank in college I can't say I'm an expert on keeping paleo in college. Good luck

Are you hinting, good sir, that Natty isn't paleo? I'm not a paleo guy in the first place, but you can definitely count me out now!

Steven Chicoine 12-01-2009 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Casey (Post 704299)
Are you hinting, good sir, that Natty isn't paleo? I'm not a paleo guy in the first place, but you can definitely count me out now!

I would suggest natty isn't even beer. :D

John Casey 12-01-2009 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Chicoine (Post 704301)
I would suggest natty isn't even beer. :D

It may not be beer, but it's the drink of poor-college-kid champions!

Collin Thompson 12-01-2009 10:33 PM

Hey Aidan, i'm up at oregon state and eating probably about 75-85% paleo (dairy accounts for the missing chunk). stock up nonperishables and you're going to have to stretch the jerky and dried fruit moderation a bit. half gallons of milk fit really nicely in the mini fridges and i found a 2 restaurants in the dining hall up here that do the trick - one has chicken satays and veggies everyday and the other has a carved meat and chicken legs every night for dinner, on top of a little market in the hall where i get my GOMAD. basically i'm sure you won't have a problem - if i can pull off paleo in college in a small town like corvallis you certainly can do it in santa cruz. i remember, as lame as it may be, my biggest concern was diet (being able to find whole and healthy foods) before i took off for school.