CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   looking for something to go with hummus (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=27789)

Bryan Edge 02-19-2008 04:31 PM

looking for something to go with hummus

While I don't adhere to a Paleo diet or Zone diet strictly, I do generally try to stick to good foods or zone/paleo-friendly foods when I can.

I also happen to love hummus -- but was wondering if there was a paleo or zonish type of cracker or somesuch that folks like to have with hummus?

thanks!

Justin Baum 02-19-2008 04:42 PM

Re: looking for something to go with hummus

this probably won't help you but i love hummus and avacado. i eat it every morning with my eggs and 1 piece of whole grain toast. not strict paleo but works for me.

Sarena Kopciel 02-19-2008 05:04 PM

you could do flax crackers! or veggies stciks, chunks. but rememebr if you are paleo-ish, hummus isnt paleo!
I would rather make a thick tehina paste which is paleo. blend or mix in bowl
tehina with juice of a lemon, some salt, parsley, garlic and water (I like to add cumin too) to dilute til consistency desired! You can also add some olive oil if you need more fat!

Bryan Edge 02-19-2008 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarena Kopciel (Post 260390)
you could do flax crackers! or veggies stciks, chunks. but rememebr if you are paleo-ish, hummus isnt paleo!
I would rather make a thick tehina paste which is paleo. blend or mix in bowl
tehina with juice of a lemon, some salt, parsley, garlic and water (I like to add cumin too) to dilute til consistency desired! You can also add some olive oil if you need more fat!

Flax crackers might do the trick.

Hummus isn't paleo, but it's reasonably paleo/zone/crossfit friendly. =)

I have a wife and 2 kids, which damn near guarantees strict adherence to any diet is nigh impossible.

I mostly use zone/paleo for recipe/dietary guidelines and ideas -- otherwise I mostly try to follow general Crossfit-friendly dieting -- nuts, fruits, veggies, meats, eggs, etc in Zonish quantities.

Thanks for the flax cracker idea!

Sarena Kopciel 02-19-2008 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan Edge (Post 260403)
Flax crackers might do the trick.

Hummus isn't paleo, but it's reasonably paleo/zone/crossfit friendly. =)

I have a wife and 2 kids, which damn near guarantees strict adherence to any diet is nigh impossible.

I mostly use zone/paleo for recipe/dietary guidelines and ideas -- otherwise I mostly try to follow general Crossfit-friendly dieting -- nuts, fruits, veggies, meats, eggs, etc in Zonish quantities.

Thanks for the flax cracker idea!

enjoy em and yeah, tehina s great. kids would probably love it too! I also use to thicken sauces and as a fat source n shakes!

Paul Findley 02-19-2008 06:55 PM

...peat moss?

Tim Donahey 02-19-2008 07:33 PM

at first I read, "looking for something to go with humans." :yikes:

I was going to recommend fava beans.

Feng Yi Chew 02-19-2008 08:40 PM

I swear by baby carrots.

Becca Borawski 02-19-2008 08:52 PM

LOL - Tim, I'm so glad you wrote that, I thought the same thing!! :eek:

To answer the original poster though - before I did the Zone I used to eat hummus and I ate it with baby spinach. I'd get a big bag of baby spinach and grab a few leaves and scoop up some hummus with it. Kinda like leafy green chips. :)

Elliot Fuller 02-19-2008 09:08 PM

If you're not too worried about 100% paleo... a little birdie told me of sugar snap peas + hummus