CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Need Help with loosing some weight (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=87457)

Maurice Mayfield Jr 07-23-2014 06:27 AM

Need Help with loosing some weight

Ok I'm 41 and I weigh 235 last year this time I was 215 . I was trying to get stronger and I have but in doing that my med-cons have suffered with that my pants sizes is the same but its hard doing pull ups hand stands etc...
I workout 5 days a week . Yesterday morning a had 3 eggs and 3 pieces of turkey bacon and a banana at lunch chicken sandwich . I had a shake before the WOD I and had a bowl of spaghetti for dinner . As well drinking a half a gallon of water a day.

Luke Sirakos 07-23-2014 06:53 AM

Re: Need Help with loosing some weight

Track your calories, make sure you are eating enough protein (1g per lb lean body mass to 1g per lb body weight is plenty), and cut your calories slowly until you start seeing desired weight loss. Don't try to lose more than one pound in a week and stay consistent with the amount that you eat per day.

Easy as that. I just went from 245 to 195 like that.

Chris Jones 07-23-2014 09:50 PM

pretty much agree with Luke, you can play with the ratio of fats/carbs but protein should be around 1g per lb of body weight so you dont lose too much muscle while cutting weight. The only way to get an accurate calorie count is to keep track of them for a while until you get the feel of things, then in a few weeks weigh again and decide how you want to proceed.

Maurice Mayfield Jr 07-24-2014 09:55 AM

Thanks

Nathan Emmert 11-12-2014 12:47 PM

Is there an upper limit to this for protein? I had always heard it was closer to 1g per kg of lean body mass... At 245 lbs... 1g/lb is a LOT of protein, that's 1,000 calories a day just in protein which will be about half of what I eat in a day while trying to lose weight.

Luke Sirakos 11-12-2014 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan Emmert (Post 1244733)
Is there an upper limit to this for protein? I had always heard it was closer to 1g per kg of lean body mass... At 245 lbs... 1g/lb is a LOT of protein, that's 1,000 calories a day just in protein which will be about half of what I eat in a day while trying to lose weight.

If you are losing weight you don't need 1g/lb body weight, you can get away with 1g/lb lean body mass and some think even .8g/lb lean body mass. While losing weight you only need enough protein to maintain the muscle mass you have since you aren't trying to add any.

Chris Mason 11-14-2014 09:09 PM

You don't need a tremendous amount of protein. I think the plan Luke laid out is perfect.

Mitchell Singler 11-22-2014 08:03 PM

Thank you for the advice.
I'm in the same boat as the OP.

Cheers,
Mitch

Shawn M Wilson 11-24-2014 09:42 AM

Losing weight isn't hard :) it just takes dedication

Easiest way to help jump start it is to write down what you eat and drink for 7 days.

Depending on your weight and current workout schedule your calorie needs could range from 1800-3000 per day for weight loss.

When I have dieted I found 2500 calories per day with my workout regime helped me keep muscle and lose fat.

1g of protein per lean muscle mass per day is a good place also

For me my diet often started with

Breakfast - protein shake w/ fruit or eggs and bacon + avacado

Sensible lunch and a good dinner.

Often tossed in a small protein shake as a snack.

I measured and weighed my food for about a week till I knew what stuff should look like to hit my calorie goals. I also meal prepped to keep on target and resist cheating. Once a week I had a treat but kept it under 500 calories. No alcohol is something I recommend simply because of what it does to your system and how it can sabotage a diet quickly.

Rolando Garcia 01-28-2015 08:52 PM

Interested, Dont really understand "lean body mass". So if I weight 229 and last time I had my body fat done it was 50%. So I'm guessing 115 would be the number of grams of protien I would need? Does that sound right?